Options

Interesting 2924XL Switch boot problem

poguepogue Member Posts: 213
Was updating the IOS on one of my 2924XL switches the other day..

Don't have much flash memory, so used t.f.t.p. to back up old IOS, then deleted it out of flash memory, and t.f.t.p.ed new IOS into flash.

Reset the switch, and it went into a barebones mode.. (ROMMON?)

switch:

"Okay", I sez to myself.. "I must have missed a command that would make the switch choose the first bootable IOS in flash."

Looked on Google for a few, and found the

"set boot" command

I do a dir flash: ... I select, right click, and copy the name of the bin file... And then type

set boot flash:"exactfilename.bin"

Command is accepted. I type reset, switch resets...

After the POST, the switch fails during the loading of the IOS. In fact, it was still trying to load the previous IOS during startup.

I was like, "WTF?? I KNOW I typed that command right!"

I am now back at

switch:

To make a long story short, by using the

set

command, and nothing more, I saw there was a BOOT flash:"oldIOSimagename command (note the caps) in the environment variables that would be read before the command I typed in, which was appended to the end of the env_vars file in flash memory.

I tried using a set BOOT flash:"exactfilename.bin" to overwrite the old command, but this did not work. I ended up having to delete the env_vars file from flash memory before redoing the set boot flash: command.

I thought it was an interesting problem. Anyone else ever had something like this happen when upgrading an IOS?

Seems kind of silly that ROMMON (?) mode commands would be case sensitive in the actual command part.

Russ
Currently working on: CCNA:Security
Up next: CCNA:Voice

Comments

• Options
    PhaintPhaint Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hmm I don't know if it'll work in the barebones mode, but I always used the command "boot system flash example.bin" command when changing IOS's