Options

Serious Career HELP Needed !!!

#snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I desperately need some genuine advice from someone who is experienced in the IT industry and can clearly state/guide me in the right direction.

About me: I graduated in computer science in 2003 and then accidentally got into teaching and discovered that I was good with it. Gained 2 years of experience and then started my own academy. Did pretty decent with that too. Finally after running it for over an year I sold it and then moved to United States in 2007.

I am running my financial service business and doing well. Now, I think I have realized that I have that inclination towards computers/networks etc. So I want to seriously start my career in IT industry, preferably security. That's what fascinates me the most. Also now that I realize networking was the subject which I enjoyed studying the most while commencing the bachelors degree. So it would be wise to something in security.

Recently I have researched a lot about certifications. I feel I should start with Network+ follow it up with CEH and eventually CHFI. Recently I also took some training in Linux and Solaris administration. I believe it will help me during the CEH training.

I want to get into the security industry and need expert guidance on how to proceed and build up a strong career path. I strongly believe that, no degree or certification is as valuable as hands-on experience, so is there anyway I can get a entry-level job in the security industry? Can network+ land me into an entry-level job?

I am reading cram session CompTIA Network+ notes to have an idea and have ordered CompTIA Network+ Deluxe Study Guide: (Exam N10-004) for a detailed study.

I am willing to shed a few thousand $$$ in order to achieve my goal. icon_study.gif

Just need the right direction and some info as to where it would lead.

Thanks!
#snoop
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 04:35PM

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mandatory reading: http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/28593-security-certification-where-start.html#post205636

Essentially, you're going to have to become adept with a given technology (or technologies) before you'll have a good shot at obtaining a security position. I believe the consensus is: How can you secure something you don't understand?

If you're interested in the networking side of things, think about CCNA, CCNA:S, CCNP, CCSP, etc.
  • Options
    #snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Comeon guys... Leave a feedback...?

Don't just view the thread and leave icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've asked the same questions many times myself, and I've seen it asked a lot more. I compressed all of that into a nutshell for you :D

People can definitely elaborate on what I've previously said, but that's pretty much the way things are. You need to figure out what technology you want to work with (*nix, Cisco, MS, etc.) and master it. Not just learn the security-centric material, but truly master it. Who is going to hand control of the network's security to you if you don't understand the fundamentals? I see hardly any value in having a Network+, CEH, and CHFI.

The Network+ could be considered a decent introduction, but a lot of it is just trivia (max cable distance). If you want to get into networking, learn Cisco or Juniper. If you want to do systems, learn MS or *nix. There are other managerial, financial, etc. realms you can expand into as well. It's good to have a general understanding of other areas, but you can't master them all. You really need to pick something and stick with it.

For example, I dabble with Cisco and *nix, but I'm an MS guy. It's been beneficial for me to learn how those other pieces fit into the puzzle, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing any serious work with those technologies.

The CEH has interesting material, but it should be called, "An Overview of Ethical Hacking." There's too much material, and it doesn't really get deep into anything. I wouldn't necessarily tell you to avoid it, but it's really not going to help you land jobs. It's more of an academic cert. The CHFI is sort of the same way. Unless you have a background in law enforcement, you're probably not going to be doing a lot with forensics.

You primary concern should be deciding on a technology to work with. If you're looking to do some pentesting (along the lines of the CEH), check out the OSCP and/or GPEN.
  • Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    dynamik wrote: »
    I've asked the same questions many times myself, and I've seen it asked a lot more. I compressed all of that into a nutshell for you :D

People can definitely elaborate on what I've previously said, but that's pretty much the way things are. You need to figure out what technology you want to work with (*nix, Cisco, MS, etc.) and master it. Not just learn the security-centric material, but truly master it. Who is going to hand control of the network's security to you if you don't understand the fundamentals? I see hardly any value in having a Network+, CEH, and CHFI.

The Network+ could be considered a decent introduction, but a lot of it is just trivia (max cable distance). If you want to get into networking, learn Cisco or Juniper. If you want to do systems, learn MS or *nix. There are other managerial, financial, etc. realms you can expand into as well. It's good to have a general understanding of other areas, but you can't master them all. You really need to pick something and stick with it.

For example, I dabble with Cisco and *nix, but I'm an MS guy. It's been beneficial for me to learn how those other pieces fit into the puzzle, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing any serious work with those technologies.

The CEH has interesting material, but it should be called, "An Overview of Ethical Hacking." There's too much material, and it doesn't really get deep into anything. I wouldn't necessarily tell you to avoid it, but it's really not going to help you land jobs. It's more of an academic cert. The CHFI is sort of the same way. Unless you have a background in law enforcement, you're probably not going to be doing a lot with forensics.

You primary concern should be deciding on a technology to work with. If you're looking to do some pentesting (along the lines of the CEH), check out the OSCP and/or GPEN.

Dynamik pretty much said it all. Great Info!! I am sorry I can't help, I tried networking for a while but decided to go into programming that is why I am not pursuing my MCSA/MCSE any further.
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology