Options

Query about switching

Chandu_medha09Chandu_medha09 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi i am doing my CCNA. I am in swiching chapter.

As per the cisco guide when we connect redundancy links between multiple switches in the same network , It created loops. My query is, as we know a machine can only connected to a single port of a switch How can we connect multiple switches and multiple links to the same network. I am bit of confused in this topic , please assist.

Comments

• Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I believe this is the topic that provides loop from occuring on switches.

Spanning Tree Protocol
    Root Bridges/Root Ports/Designated Ports
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    Hi i am doing my CCNA. I am in swiching chapter.

As per the cisco guide when we connect redundancy links between multiple switches in the same network , It created loops. My query is, as we know a machine can only connected to a single port of a switch How can we connect multiple switches and multiple links to the same network. I am bit of confused in this topic , please assist.

There are a few ways to connect multiple links to multiple switches. One way is to create an ether-channel which combines the two (or more, up to eight) interfaces into a single logical interface. So if you combine two 1Gb interfaces you have created a 2Gb ether-channel interface.

The other way is to use spanning tree protocol which will place one of the redundant links into blocking mode so there is no loop. If the primary link (root port) goes down, then the interface that is in blocking mode will take over with very little downtime.

Both these topics are covered in the CCNA so you should come accross them soon
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net