Options

Cat 3550 Questions

Santucci4Santucci4 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just purchased 2 L3 3550's from eBay so that I can start building a lab for myself and I am already running into a problem. I'm really hoping that you experienced CCIE's can assist me. When I fire the two switches up, it seems that they boot fine; but when I connect a cable from SW1 Fa 0/48 to SW2 Fa 0/48 I don't get any switchport lights. I tried using both a Straight and Reverse cable and still nothing. If I connect a cable from my Netgear home wireless router I get an amber light. Can you not interconnect two layer 3 switches? Also, when the two switches boot up, it always says that The Password-Recovery Mechanism is enabled.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Santucci4 wrote: »
    I just purchased 2 L3 3550's from eBay so that I can start building a lab for myself and I am already running into a problem. I'm really hoping that you experienced CCIE's can assist me. When I fire the two switches up, it seems that they boot fine; but when I connect a cable from SW1 Fa 0/48 to SW2 Fa 0/48 I don't get any switchport lights. I tried using both a Straight and Reverse cable and still nothing. If I connect a cable from my Netgear home wireless router I get an amber light. Can you not interconnect two layer 3 switches? Also, when the two switches boot up, it always says that The Password-Recovery Mechanism is enabled.

Cisco.com has the password recovery procedures. The confreg settings may need changing using console connection.
  • Options
    I thought that the 3550 Cat Switches don't have the confreg command because they are all set to a standard reg that can't be modifyied like a router?
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    can you login and have you did anything else besides looking at the LEDs LOL

Sorry I had to, you posted in CCIE forum, if you had posted in NA then I would of been more easy on you
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    Yes, I was able to configure ports 0/47 on both switches as a trunk with the encapsulation dot1q and I've even done a no shut on both of them. when I do a sh ip int brief, it still show down/down with the cable connected between them. If I plug a cable from my netgear home wireless router into port 0/47 I do however get an amber light. I just don't know why the port light isn't lighting up when I connect a cable between the two. Do you think that The Password-Recovery Mechanism is enabled could be affecting the switch somehow? Also, I know that the switches were a SMI and the eBay describtion says that it now has the EMI image. I just really want to get these things working so I can finish my exams. Thanks, and I am CCNA and BSCI certified, I am working on my BCMSN.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    is it a known good cross over cable and not a roll over or straight cable
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    Yes, I made the cable myself and used my cable tester to make sure that the cable pairs were made properly. My cable tester would tell me if the cable wasn't right.
  • Options
    Okay, I now type this with very shaky hands; but it appears that I need a new cable tester....GULP. I connected a different cross-over and son of a B*^%h it worked. If anyone can feel like more of an ass, I love to know that person. On another note, is there anyway to get rid of the switches from being in that Password-Recovery Mechanism?
  • Options
    Santucci4 wrote: »
    I thought that the 3550 Cat Switches don't have the confreg command because they are all set to a standard reg that can't be modifyied like a router?

Im just using a colloquial term there

Try out the procedures here to overcome your password recovery mechanism problems.

Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches - Cisco Systems

Look like you have overcome your cable hassles.
  • Options
    Yes, thank god, I overcame the cable issue. Thanks for all of your help and I'll use the link you provided to overcome my next issue. Thanks again.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    3550 doesn't have confreg for boot. You have to boot/reset with the button pressed in untill port 1 goes out. Then check which variable to modify from the text files in flash.
    Boot back the normal way
    Kam.
  • Options
    Yep press that button and work with those files. It's all in that link.
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Looks like you got the cable issue figured out already, but yeah, no light between 3550's will normally mean bad crossover cable.

As a side note, the GBIC ports auto-detect the cable type, and will accept either type of cable.
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    josunin75josunin75 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had the same problem with the cable.
    I was connecting 2950 with 3550.

You aren't the only one, so don't feel too bad! ^^;;
    =============================
    on to BCMSN ^=============^

<Lab>
    2 x 3550 EMI
    2 x 2950
    2 x 3640
    1 x 2621
    =============================
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Also, if you are too lazy to make cables (I am!), you can pick up 10 3' crossover cables at monoprice.com for like .75 a piece.
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801