Options

Wrongdefinition of promiscuous mode?

szmarcekszmarcek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□

Promiscuous mode is a state in which a network adapter card copies all the frames that pass over the network to a local buffer, regardless of the destination address. This mode enables Network Monitor to capture and display all network traffic.

This is a definition used provided my Microsoft on one of their FAQ. Correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be a bit of overstatement especially the part regardless of the destination address’. No matter what the network analyzer is used, you will only be able to see broadcast traffic (not sure about multicast) and the unicast directed to the machine that you are using. You should not be able to see all frames that passes over the network because modern switches will not let you (unless you are using something like SPAN or RSPAN, and forwarding the traffic onto a specific port).

Is my thinking wrong?icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I may be wrong here, but I think using span or rspan or else a hub is pretty much assumed here. Basically, they're only concerned with explaining what's going on with the NIC and not what you would have to do to the network to use the NIC in this manner.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    What redwarrior said when using span or rspan it redirects whatever traffic the port is spanning to your PC. By default your PC will drop all packets not intended for it except broacast and multicast. So if it drops the rest of the packets how can you capture and analyze the traffic from the spanned port. This is where promiscuous comes in and it captures all traffic from that spanned port or vlan regardless of the destination. So the definition is right
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    szmarcekszmarcek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Assumptions, assumptions ...

Ok, thanks for a reply. So the definition is correct icon_cool.gif, though it could be better (more detailed).

Thanks for explanation.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    its from microsoft what do you expect lol
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew