IE COD for SP and R&S

kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
I have the R&S COD but does anyone have both and how do they compare. Is it worth getting the SP? Thanks
Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew

Comments

• apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Like the rest of the product line the SP is not up to their R&S level. Still worth it for me I would recommend this and their labs were good too just use the forum because the answer key is not detailed.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Thanks I tried to get a good deal but they said no so I will probably get the SP from ipexpert
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    kryolla wrote: »
    Thanks I tried to get a good deal but they said no so I will probably get the SP from ipexpert

FYI if you plan to use dynamips you will have to do a lot of manual editing for it. They basically think a marketing campaign equals their workbooks being dynamips compatible.
    I have real equipment but thanks for the heads up.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Thought I would bring this back to life...Josh Atterbury is posting some of his labs into a workbook for the SP here:
    joshatterbury.com - CCIE #23347 Blog Archive CCIE SP Technology Workbooks

Hope this helps someone out. I couldnt remember who said they were hitting the SP track.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    the IE SP CoD is a great product. I haven't watched all the videos in it, but I did watch the first two days in which they cover MPLS, VRF-Lite, MPLS VPN's and some other stuff. the Brian's are masters at this stuff and the way they are able to explain the breakdown of the entire process reflects their mastery of the topics. I highly suggest getting it. I got it to help me for the CCIE R&S v4 topics and who knows maybe a year from now I'll be on to the CCIE SP track! hope this helps!
    the IE SP CoD is a great product. I haven't watched all the videos in it, but I did watch the first two days in which they cover MPLS, VRF-Lite, MPLS VPN's and some other stuff. the Brian's are masters at this stuff and the way they are able to explain the breakdown of the entire process reflects their mastery of the topics. I highly suggest getting it. I got it to help me for the CCIE R&S v4 topics and who knows maybe a year from now I'll be on to the CCIE SP track! hope this helps!

Thanks I got it the end of May and watch it all. I like the SP world better than the enterprise, more stuff to learn and do. You also dont have to work with end users for OS related issues, its all network. I like L2TPv3 and AToM, L3 VPN a lot, multicast routing in the SP, MPLS for SP, Im just having a more enjoyable time learning SP than enterprise. Although I am almost done with RS WB1 and if my work can pay for it boot camp this year or early next year then the lab later next year. With the SP Lab the following year.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    kryolla wrote: »
    Thanks I got it the end of May and watch it all. I like the SP world better than the enterprise, more stuff to learn and do. You also dont have to work with end users for OS related issues, its all network. I like L2TPv3 and AToM, L3 VPN a lot, multicast routing in the SP, MPLS for SP, Im just having a more enjoyable time learning SP than enterprise. Although I am almost done with RS WB1 and if my work can pay for it boot camp this year or early next year then the lab later next year. With the SP Lab the following year.

sounds like you got a great plan. that's exactly what i plan on doing as well. also, i see that you drink home brew, sounds to me like you know what you are doing! What have you been brewing lately? It's been about 6 months since I brewed my last beer.
    sounds like you got a great plan. that's exactly what i plan on doing as well. also, i see that you drink home brew, sounds to me like you know what you are doing! What have you been brewing lately? It's been about 6 months since I brewed my last beer.

I have a English Mild Brown Ale that I need to transfer to a keg. Also a Belgian Pale Ale that will be ready in another couple of weeks and maybe this weekend I'll be brewing an English Pale Ale with orange peel and coriander with a lot of american hops. Brewing is fun but it takes me about 4 hours for a typical all grain batch from start to finish. Do you plan on brewing anything soon?
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can speak to this directly, as I just finished watching the entire SP series on DVD and I have completed 8 of the 10 practice labs from the VOL2 workbook.

As previously stated, this product does not quite match the quality of the R&S CoD, which prepared me well enough to pass the R&S lab on my first try. On the recorded product, that they sell to customers, Brian was not able to get a number of things working that he was talking about. It kind of left you wondering exactly what the feature actually does or what you are supposed to do or what the configuration actually looks like. I still rave about the R&S product, I continue to say its a "10 out of 10." But this one.. is more like an "8 out of 10" in my opinion. Still very useful and Brian is an excellent instructor as always.

As far as the workbook goes, it too is not quite up to snuff compared to the R&S book. The solutions guides are sometimes wrong (as evidenced by posts/blogs by INE on various lists/forums). Also at least one lab is arguably impossible to actually complete. There aren't any explanations for these solutions, except for videos you can buy where Brian talks you through the first four labs in the second workbook. I didn't think these added a tremendous amount of value, but if you are buying the whole package from them and you are serious... its not that much more to get them.

Nevertheless, between the CoD and the book I feel confident going into my lab next week. If there is one thing I can say overall about preparing for the CCIE SP is that it might be the easiest track of them all, especially if you have your R&S CCIE already. Once you break through the fuzziness that surrounds it, MPLS is quite simple. In fact, I can understand why MPLS VPNs are now in the R&S.

LDP, RSVP, L2TP, ATOM, etc, all sound very complicated but on the command-line... they really aren't.

Cheers!
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    I can speak to this directly, as I just finished watching the entire SP series on DVD and I have completed 8 of the 10 practice labs from the VOL2 workbook.

As previously stated, this product does not quite match the quality of the R&S CoD, which prepared me well enough to pass the R&S lab on my first try. On the recorded product, that they sell to customers, Brian was not able to get a number of things working that he was talking about. It kind of left you wondering exactly what the feature actually does or what you are supposed to do or what the configuration actually looks like. I still rave about the R&S product, I continue to say its a "10 out of 10." But this one.. is more like an "8 out of 10" in my opinion. Still very useful and Brian is an excellent instructor as always.

As far as the workbook goes, it too is not quite up to snuff compared to the R&S book. The solutions guides are sometimes wrong (as evidenced by posts/blogs by INE on various lists/forums). Also at least one lab is arguably impossible to actually complete. There aren't any explanations for these solutions, except for videos you can buy where Brian talks you through the first four labs in the second workbook. I didn't think these added a tremendous amount of value, but if you are buying the whole package from them and you are serious... its not that much more to get them.

Nevertheless, between the CoD and the book I feel confident going into my lab next week. If there is one thing I can say overall about preparing for the CCIE SP is that it might be the easiest track of them all, especially if you have your R&S CCIE already. Once you break through the fuzziness that surrounds it, MPLS is quite simple. In fact, I can understand why MPLS VPNs are now in the R&S.

LDP, RSVP, L2TP, ATOM, etc, all sound very complicated but on the command-line... they really aren't.

Cheers!

Good Luck next week. The SP WBs aren't that great at least not up to speed with R&S version 5 WBs maybe at the same level as version 4 which doesnt have a lot of explanations just solutions. The COD on the other hand I thought was good but its only 5 days and the R&S is 10 days. I will probably substitute INE study with IP Expert. Have you taken any boot camps for R&S or SP?
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Back in 2005 when I was preparing for the R&S, I purchased the whole package from INE. The bootcamp, CoD, audio classes, etc. I did the bootcamp and it was awesome. I purchased this package on my own.

My employer at the time paid for me to go to the first week of NetMasterClass. It was also a great course, but if I had to choose between the two knowing what I know now, I would go INE. However, Val, Bob, and Bruce are great guys and are super knowledgeable. I would say the most valuable part of that week was listening to Bruce talk about redistribution and test strategy. I think he can nail those things better than anyone.

I remember thinking the NMC labs were very difficult.

You have to remember that each of these camps has their devoted followers. If you purchase any one of them, its ultimately up to you to follow through and make the most of it. You have to remember that all of them are brilliant engineers and they like helping people. Abuse them and ask lots of questions while you can!

Our Cisco rep tells me the most popular company for SP prep internal to Cisco is IEMentor. I can't back that up or anything, but I have heard this before.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    Our Cisco rep tells me the most popular company for SP prep internal to Cisco is IEMentor. I can't back that up or anything, but I have heard this before.

Thanks I'll probably check them out next year after I do INE WBs