Options

Really need some help and guidance

antcantc Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help to try and decide the direction I would like to go study and cert wise.

I have just passed my Win xp 70-270 exam. I am now at the point of wanting to get into server stuff. It would seem i have two options.....

1. carry on down the mcsa 2003 track
2. Begin studying for the mcitp server admin or enterprise admin (this i believe would mean doing another client exam for either vista or win 7 when it comes out)

What is peoples advice? Im a bit stuck!

I have spoken to various people at work and it seems to be roughly a 50/50 split as to what they are recomending.

As for the organisation i currently work for they are planning to be on win 7 by the end of the year and have 2 2k8 servers on our estate (rest are a couple of 2k servers and mostly 2k3)

All thoughts and comments most appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think doing the MCSA and then upgrading would be a good compromise. You should be able to knock out 290 quickly since it shares a lot of material with 270 (which was harder IMO). That just leaves 291 and an elective. You could use Exchange 2007 or something else your company works with (Sharepoint, SQL Server, etc.) to satisfy your elective and make you more well-rounded in the process. Then it's on to the upgrades...

I'd say it really comes down to whether or not you want to take a shot at 291 (which will help you prepare for that type of material in the 2008 exams).
  • Options
    antcantc Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I think doing the MCSA and then upgrading would be a good compromise. You should be able to knock out 290 quickly since it shares a lot of material with 270 (which was harder IMO). That just leaves 291 and an elective. You could use Exchange 2007 or something else your company works with (Sharepoint, SQL Server, etc.) to satisfy your elective and make you more well-rounded in the process. Then it's on to the upgrades...

I'd say it really comes down to whether or not you want to take a shot at 291 (which will help you prepare for that type of material in the 2008 exams).

Whats so bad about 291? Is it a bit of a beast?

So you think it would be beneficial to have both sets of exams under my belt rather than just going for the lastest ones?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do the 290 next and then 291. Then you could upgrade to the MCITP later is you wish. The 290 is pretty straightforward, the 291 is not that hard, just an enormous amount of material to learn.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, it probably covers the most material in any single exam (at least in the main MCSA/E track; there might be some electives that beat it out). It's all stuff you need to know though. Having that out of the way will make the 2008 material easier to learn since it builds on all of it.
  • Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    I would go to all the way to MCSE and then upgrade to MCITP:EA