Options

IGMP Snooping Questions?

redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
I'm configuring a static multicast group to help support Microsoft Network Load Balancing in our datacenter. I have figured out what static arp entries I need to configure on the distribution switches (our layer 3 boundary) and have those ready to go, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how to configure disabling igmp snooping selectively for these groups in order to help with performance. The problem is...BSCI is my *next* exam. ;)

On Cisco's site and through google, I've found these two resources I've been using for this configuration:
Catalyst Switches for Microsoft Network Load Balancing Configuration Example - Cisco Systems
and
http://www.skendric.com/packet/msnlb-catalyst-configuration.pdf

From these I am given a command like this to enter in my distribution switches to selectively disable igmp snooping:

mac-address-table static 0300.5e11.1111 vlan 200
interface fa2/3 fa2/4 disable-snooping

My problem though is that my distribution switches don't have just one or two interfaces that could connect to these switches that have the servers on the ports. My other problem is that my examples show this configuration on a 6500 series switch, but my switches are the new 4900M's. Looking at my switches I have found I can enter something like this:

no ip igmp snooping vlan 19 static 0100.5e7f.0fdf interface gigabitethernet 1/12

However, I'm not sure if these two commands accomplish the same thing. I'm also thinking that these commands most likely belong on my access switches to specify exactly which ports the servers that will be members of my NLB group will be connected to.

Has anyone dealt with this or a multicast guru that could chime in? I feel like I'm a bit over my head here.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog

Comments

• Options
    kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    redwarrior wrote: »
    I'm configuring a static multicast group to help support Microsoft Network Load Balancing in our datacenter. I have figured out what static arp entries I need to configure on the distribution switches (our layer 3 boundary) and have those ready to go, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how to configure disabling igmp snooping selectively for these groups in order to help with performance. The problem is...BSCI is my *next* exam. ;)

On Cisco's site and through google, I've found these two resources I've been using for this configuration:
    Catalyst Switches for Microsoft Network Load Balancing Configuration Example - Cisco Systems
    and
    http://www.skendric.com/packet/msnlb-catalyst-configuration.pdf

From these I am given a command like this to enter in my distribution switches to selectively disable igmp snooping:

mac-address-table static 0300.5e11.1111 vlan 200
    interface fa2/3 fa2/4 disable-snooping

My problem though is that my distribution switches don't have just one or two interfaces that could connect to these switches that have the servers on the ports. My other problem is that my examples show this configuration on a 6500 series switch, but my switches are the new 4900M's. Looking at my switches I have found I can enter something like this:

no ip igmp snooping vlan 19 static 0100.5e7f.0fdf interface gigabitethernet 1/12

However, I'm not sure if these two commands accomplish the same thing. I'm also thinking that these commands most likely belong on my access switches to specify exactly which ports the servers that will be members of my NLB group will be connected to.

Has anyone dealt with this or a multicast guru that could chime in? I feel like I'm a bit over my head here.

I think they will, I just tried the command on a 3560, the static command will take the IP address, instead of the mcast mac address, but i think thats about it:

no ip igmp snooping vlan 200 static 238.0.0.1 interface fa0/1
    Studying for CCNP (All done)