Options

Ccent?

datchidatchi Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Was curious as to if going for a CCENT would be worth it if I already have my Network+? Does the CCENT build on the same concept that the Network+ or is it different? Would it be beneficial for me to go for the CCENT before the CCNA or would that be a waste of time?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Cisco material will blow the Network+ away. It will build on the general network theory (and go a lot more in-depth) as well as add Cisco-centric material into the mix.

Whether you split up the CCNA or take it all at once is just personal preference. People new to Cisco, myself included, typically prefer to take the two-exam approach since it is more manageable.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Network+ = General and CCENT = Cisco specific
    CCENT = First half of CCNA. If you take the 2 exam CCNA then you get CCENT after doing the first one. If you take the 1 exam CCNA then you don't get CCENT.
  • Options
    Wow, quick replies compared to the other boards on here! Guess CCENT will be the next target. Will I need a lab to prepare for the CCENT?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It wouldn't be absolutely necessary, but I'd start putting one together if I were you.
  • Options
    What kind of hardware should I get if I'm on a budget? I know there's a sticky up top but most of the topics listed are from a couple years ago so I don't know if the recommended hardware are still valid.
  • Options
    ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    Well, as one on a budget, I had to buy (1) piece at a time and over the last several months, I'm finally got a decent lab running now... :)

To start with, you are going to need at least (1) switch to pass the CCENT exam. Definately go with a 2950. I've watched parts of (3) different CCENT/CCNA training videos and they ALL use the 2950's. Don't get the 2924/2948g/2900xl's... 2950 is the way to go.

For the CCNA, you'll probably want a total of three of these.

For a router, you can't get any cheaper than the 25xx and 26xx series. Start with one or two of those - make sure to look at what ports they have - and come back and let us know how it's going...

Good Luck!
    -Paul
  • Options
    Thanks for the help so far! I picked up the 2950 yesterday. As far as router goes, should I be worried about it supporting SDM? Would a 2610 be sufficient or should I be looking at the 2610xm?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    datchi wrote: »
    As far as router goes, should I be worried about it supporting SDM? Would a 2610 be sufficient or should I be looking at the 2610xm?
    There are a couple of tasks in the ICND1 Exam Blueprint that mention SDM, so you should probably worry about it.

There is a link in the CCNA FAQ (sticky post at the top of the CCNA Forum) that has a link to a Cisco Doc that has a table of supported SDM routers. The 2600 series routers don't support SDM, the 2600XM routers do.

The 1721 is probably the most "cost effective" SDM option since it also support 802.1q trunking -- just make sure you get one with the power supply and a bunch of of memory and flash. These are "desk mount" routers, not rack mount -- so keep that in mind if you plan to rack your lab in the future.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ptlinvaptlinva Member Posts: 125
    Congrats on the 2950 purchase. You won't regret it...

Also, mikej was right on target with the routers as well. In fact, i forgot about the sdm part of the test. Otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned getting a router with sdm...

Good Job Mike!
    -Paul
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Was curious as to if going for a CCENT would be worth it if I already have my Network+? Does the CCENT build on the same concept that the Network+ or is it different? Would it be beneficial for me to go for the CCENT before the CCNA or would that be a waste of time?

I'm going to differ a bit from folks here and say. . . the Network+ should be a good foundation for the CCENT, but there will be quite a bit of new material on the Cisco side. In fact, I'd encourage all Network+ holders to grab a CCENT, even if they're not planning on pursuing roles requiring Cisco certs!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Just finished the CBT nuggets material and with the exception of subnetting and the IOS, it was one giangantic review of Network+! Thank god the instructor has a sense of humor or I would have fell asleep 30 minutes in. Started the Trainsignal videos and so far, more reviews! Can't hurt to hammer in those fundementals though I guess.

Although it's been mostly reviewed so far, if I didn't already have my network+, I would have no idea what they're talking about in these videos. From what I can tell, cisco is way more interesting than network+. Learning switches and routers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> how long cables are!!
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Just finished the CBT nuggets material and with the exception of subnetting and the IOS, it was one giangantic review of Network+! Thank god the instructor has a sense of humor or I would have fell asleep 30 minutes in. Started the Trainsignal videos and so far, more reviews! Can't hurt to hammer in those fundementals though I guess.

Although it's been mostly reviewed so far, if I didn't already have my network+, I would have no idea what they're talking about in these videos. From what I can tell, cisco is way more interesting than network+. Learning switches and routers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> how long cables are!!

If you think CCENT is interesting, you just wait until the ICND2: good times ahead ;)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    oh you dont know how tempted I was to jump into the ICND2 videos after I finished the ICND1 on cbtnugget. Took a lotttt of self discipline to start the ICND1 on Trainsignal istead