Options

which certs?????????????

rom667rom667 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
i am currently at college (uk college is different to american ones) studying networking, i know the qualification is going to be rubish but im doing it for the experience any how when ive finish the course i plan to get a+ cert and eventually ccna but hes my question shall i get a+ cert then network+ then security+ then go onto ccna and then mcsa or is there a better route (and cheaper one since these exams came be costly) i definatly want to be a network technicain but i dont want to go to university since i havent got the grades!!!!!! is there hope for me is there people out there who are network technicians who havent been to uni!!! any info would be great !!! and thank you if you reply and i forget to post one!!!!!lol

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    i definatly want to be a network technicain but i dont want to go to university since i havent got the grades!!!!!! is there hope for me is there people out there who are network technicians who havent been to uni!!!
    I'm sure it's different in the states, but I've never even met a network technician with a university degree.. I assume they get 'better' jobs. icon_wink.gif I don't have a degree and I've had several networking jobs.

There are three main things that will help you get a job. To become a 'network technician' you usually need two of them:

- certifications
    - degree
    - experience

As for the certificatio route, I would suggest taking the CCNA and Security+ after the MCSA. Security+ is not such an entry-level cert as most other CompTIA exams.
  • Options
    so your saying i should go for the a+ then the network+ then the mcsa then the ccna and finally security+ and here is my next question which a+ should i take since my college offers 2 a+ hardware support or a+ operation systerm support????????????????
  • Options
    Yes indeed, but you could do the CCNA after the Network+ as well, because there is some overlap. 'I' would do MCSA first though, cause it's easier than CCNA, but you should go with whatever path your prefer.

To obtain the A+ certification, you need to pass two exams: core hardware technician (usually refered to as A+ Core) and operating system support (A+ OS).
  • Options
    thanks youve helped a bunch one last thing what is the timescale on geting all these certs????
  • Options
    That's a common question to which there isn't a definit answer. It all depends on how much you know already, how often, long, and fast you learn and a whole bunch of other things.

It's best to focus on learning the actual material, rather than racing to an exam 'just' to get the cert. I think if you take a month for each exam (assuming you are able to study for many hours per day) is doable but 2 to 6 isn't uncommon either.
  • Options
    i was planning to do it in a year (next year) but also i am buying books and doing research this year (as well as my networking course) do you think thats a good enough plan????
  • Options
    hawazhawaz Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree..(as a general rule )per diffculty and per demand order would be

A+
    MCSA (mcse)
    CCNA +
    PRETTY MUCH COVERS THE ENTRY LEVEL KNOWLEDGE REQ'D

However depends also on the level of knowledge and experience.
    i forexample took ccna and currently studying for mcsa as ccna was more suited to my experience.