Options

Course Recommendation

mrx9000mrx9000 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Although I have no experience of database administration or development, to provide skills coverage in our IT team I am looking to take a MS SQL course and was hoping someone here could perhaps offer a recommendation?

We have 10 SQL servers in our organisation collecting 1.7 million transactions per day, if our main database administrator / developer were to leave, I would inherit this system (at least for some time) and need to learn the magic of SQL. This is likely to include manipulating and expanding the databases, not just keeping them going…

We have looked at MS course 6231 and 6232 and would be most grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

MRX

Comments

• Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would also suggest having adequate procedural documentation and procedures for all tasks performed by the dba's in your firm.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have always found the MS courses to be very good. I have never used one of the instructor lead courses, though. I also recommend the CBT Nuggets and I would highly recommend the TestOut's course for the 431, even though the guys English is kinds goofy sometimes. The simulation practice is very good and you do not get that with CBT Nuggs.
  • Options
    mrx9000mrx9000 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for the advice, I will start with some CBT and lab work and then move onto the courses.

Thanks.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ...and if you want a book, I think SQL Unleashed is the best out there. Dont bother with the MS Press IMHO.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brad- wrote: »
    ...and if you want a book, I think SQL Unleashed is the best out there. Dont bother with the MS Press IMHO.

I agree with this statement, but I still needed the MS press book as it was more exam focused. I just used the Unleashed book to flesh out my knowledge when studying for the 431. I have been using it a lot for the 443, which I am evidently taking soon, as well. I had planned on taking the 70-536 but since one of my primary responsabilities is administering a SQL server, it is much more in my interest to have the MCITP DBA.

MRX, load up on that lab work. Lack of hands on is really what killed me on the 431. Nearly failed it.