Options

Etherchannel

jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
Quick question, is it normal to have to do a reload when you configure etherchannel? When I configured it the ports went down and wouldn't even come back up when I removed the commands. But etherchannel does work when I reload the switches.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No that is not normal behavior. What do you mean by the ports went down and wouldn't come back up?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you no shut the etherchannel interface??
  • Options
    Did you no shut the etherchannel interface??

networker050184:
    The ports were down/down showing not connected.

I'm not sure if I tried a no shut on the etherchannel, but the etherchannel did come up when I reloaded. I'm going to try it one more time doing the no shut on the etherchannel. I thought something didn't seem right.
    Thanks
  • Options
    jmc012 wrote: »
    networker050184:
    The ports were down/down showing not connected.

I'm not sure if I tried a no shut on the etherchannel, but the etherchannel did come up when I reloaded. I'm going to try it one more time doing the no shut on the etherchannel. I thought something didn't seem right.
    Thanks

Well I tried it again and it worked fine, I'm thinking the last time I did it I took to long to configure it between switches and the ports or the etherchannel went into err-disabled and a shut, no shut would have corrected it instead of a reload. The reason I'm thinking that is the ports went into err-disabled while I was taking off the etherchannel.
    Does that sound reasonable?

I just got my switches off e-bay last week, so I finally get to do some real life labs with switches.
    Thanks
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    You probably configured the links to negotiate an etherchannel using PAgP or LACP so if one side is configured before the other the negotiation would have failed until you brought them down and back up again (or in your case, reloaded the switches)