Options

Which cert should be my first?

looi76looi76 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum. Right now, I'm doing my Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. After reading about IT Certificates and their benefits, I want to achieve one but don't know where to start. I want to start with an easy one and I want to self study for the certificate. any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what you want to do really, but the A+ is a good generic place to start if you don't know what you want to do with your career.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Depends on what you want to do really, but the A+ is a good generic place to start if you don't know what you want to do with your career.

+1

The A+ creates a great foundation.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't waste your time just obtaining random certifications. Identify what you want out of a certification and go from there. What do you want to do once you have your degree? What type of job do you want? What are your interests? Do you like server administration? do you like networking? These things will dictate what you study.

Also, I would not work on the A+ if you are studying for a BA in computer science. That cert will do NOTHING for you professionally. If you are a CS major and can't handle A+ material you're in the wrong field. Take your degree, identify a specialization that you can obtain certs in, and rock and roll.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Also, I would not work on the A+ if you are studying for a BA in computer science. That cert will do NOTHING for you professionally. If you are a CS major and can't handle A+ material you're in the wrong field. Take your degree, identify a specialization that you can obtain certs in, and rock and roll.

That is the whole point. If you are a CS major you can probably get the A+ rather easily with a little extra study. And we all know that resumes are scanned for key words such as certifications. Why get passed up for a job because you don't have one little letter that you could have so easily obtained?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Also, I would not work on the A+ if you are studying for a BA in computer science. That cert will do NOTHING for you professionally.

I don't fully agree, like it or not the A+ is probably one of the most widely recognized IT certifications in the country. If you are fresh out of college with no experience, the A+ would be a nice addition to your resume.

WE know that the A+ is very entry level, but to most recruiters and HR people, it is just another keyword to look for.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I don't fully agree, like it or not the A+ is probably one of the most widely recognized IT certifications in the country. If you are fresh out of college with no experience, the A+ would be a nice addition to your resume.

WE know that the A+ is very entry level, but to most recruiters and HR people, it is just another keyword to look for.

Which country does the original poster live in? In the UK it has been an expensive piece of toilet paper for me unfortunately. I agree with paul boz.

You need to decide what interests you and what you want to do. A good combo is the MCSE/CCNA and you can back it up with more specific/advanced certs.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    nel wrote: »
    Which country does the original poster live in?

I was assuming U.S, but I do remember a lot of people commenting that the A+ wasn't well regarded in the U.K.

My point was that if your goal is to be more attractive to future employers, then the A+ could be a good investment for someone fresh out of college with no experience.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »
    Which country does the original poster live in? In the UK it has been an expensive piece of toilet paper for me unfortunately. I agree with paul boz.

You need to decide what interests you and what you want to do. A good combo is the MCSE/CCNA and you can back it up with more specific/advanced certs.

I would have to disagree with the previous poster. Almost all government IT jobs want a person to have at least the A+. It is just like weed, it isn't that strong on but it can lead to stronger things, like crack. A+ is a gateway cert...Puff, puff, pass lol!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I would have to disagree with the previous poster. Almost all government IT jobs want a person to have at least the A+. It is just like weed, it isn't that strong on but it can lead to stronger things, like crack. A+ is a gateway cert...Puff, puff, pass lol!

I take it you mean US government jobs when you say "all"? Thats why from previous posts its clear its regarded well in some countries, i.e. US, and not so well in others, i.e. UK. Thats why i rated it rather poorly for my situation. Infact i dont think ive ever seen a job post in the UK that states A+ as a requirement.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I honestly don't know what type of jobs you guys think he's going to be looking for with a BA. Even when I worked in tech support for the phone company back in the day my managers and HR would blatantly pass on people who only had an A+ listed on their resume. If they had the A+ in addition to other certs they would just ignore the A+ and act on the other certs they have. I have been told by a number of HR personnel at several companies that the A+ often dilutes one's resume, especially if you have higher qualifications such as a BA in computer science or a MCSA/CCNA.

If you are going to take a *+ exam take the Network+. It has more valuable practical knowledge and networking is a fundamental skill that almost everyone has to have now.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    #snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    looi76 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum. Right now, I'm doing my Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. After reading about IT Certificates and their benefits, I want to achieve one but don't know where to start. I want to start with an easy one and I want to self study for the certificate. any suggestions?

I am a newbie myself when it comes to certifications. From what I have researched A+ followed up with Network+ should be a good choice to start.

But it also depands on what you want to get into eventually. Like I want to be in security so I decided to skip A+ and start with Network+ and then would look at the cirriculum for CEH and if I feel there's a need to fill in the gap then perhaps I would finish some other certification like CCNA or MCSA before starting CEH or vice versa.

So the important thing is to realize what you want to do and then look to build a base before you start any certification. I am doing the same because I have a computer science degree with no hands-on experience. Hope it helpsicon_wink.gif
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    #snoop wrote: »
    I am a newbie myself when it comes to certifications. From what I have researched A+ followed up with Network+ should be a good choice to start.

+1

The A+, Network+ route is always the best way to go so that you show your employer's that you have the foundation down. From there you could branch off and study cisco, microsoft, security, etc or whatever area you wish to work in. The A+ is recognized wherever you go, so it doesn't matter what country you live in unless you plan to stay there your whole life. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    looi76looi76 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have decided to specialize in Network Security. So, I guess the first good certificate to gain is Network+ but can I apply for Network+ Exam without doing A+ and with no work experience.
  • Options
    Libero78Libero78 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i see everyone talking about A+, here in Europe A+ means nothing, somehow it is never asked nor known by recruiters or proffesionals. but it may be a good base anyhow. maybe ITIL foundaton is an option for you.
    Cogito Ergo Sum
  • Options
    #snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    looi76 wrote: »
    I have decided to specialize in Network Security. So, I guess the first good certificate to gain is Network+ but can I apply for Network+ Exam without doing A+ and with no work experience.

Yes you can.
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    If you're going to soon have a BS in Comp Sci, I'm not sure if it makes any sense at all to pursue an A+. I'm sure you've been exposed to several programming languages(C++, Java, etc) so you'll probably have a job in programming/software engineering, which has nothing to do with A+. If you're really into networking, I would say go straight for CCNA as you get to work with the CLI and Cisco IOS. That would make the most sense to me. Or maybe go for Network+ as a primer before CCNA.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    looi76, you're looking for a certification that is easy to study for and pass, right? Then by all means, take the A+. By studying and passing the A+, you will learn how the certification game works and develop study habits that will help you pass future certs. It will be a lot easier for you to start small with the A+ and Network+ (which combined is elective credit for the Microsoft route) than diving straight into the CCNA.

There is nothing wrong with the A+ and you will soon find out that the people who knock it the most have never even taken it. They would rather let you believe it's only about hardware!
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    I disagree with those who recommend the OP to jump straight into a specialization.

Strongly suggest you to start off with A+, Network +, then branch off to wherever you want to go.

I also have a degree related to computers. I jumped straight into CCNA and I felt it was a disaster without reviewing A+ or Network+. Now I'm back to square 1 to build the base.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the those who say to start with A+. This cert is entry level, but should not be discredited. I see plenty of mid-level to senior-positions that still prefer or require the certification.

I honestly don't know what type of jobs you guys think he's going to be looking for with a BA. Even when I worked in tech support for the phone company back in the day my managers and HR would blatantly pass on people who only had an A+ listed on their resume. If they had the A+ in addition to other certs they would just ignore the A+ and act on the other certs they have. I have been told by a number of HR personnel at several companies that the A+ often dilutes one's resume, especially if you have higher qualifications such as a BA in computer science or a MCSA/CCNA.

If you are going to take a *+ exam take the Network+. It has more valuable practical knowledge and networking is a fundamental skill that almost everyone has to have now.

Each company is different in their job requirements. Here's one that prefers a 4-yr College Degree and/or 5-yrs work experience equivalent. CCNA/CCNP, MCSE/MCSA/MCTS....if you look next to those higher level certs they put the A+ cert right next to it. This is just one example. There are plenty more out there just like it.

Network Operations (no c2c) jobs - Dice.com

So, to the OP, start off with the CompTIA certs to round up your baseline knowledge and then start specializing (microsoft, cisco, redhat, etc.)
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »
    I disagree with those who recommend the OP to jump straight into a specialization.

Strongly suggest you to start off with A+, Network +, then branch off to wherever you want to go.

I also have a degree related to computers. I jumped straight into CCNA and I felt it was a disaster without reviewing A+ or Network+. Now I'm back to square 1 to build the base.

Back to square one? You should pound out that Network+ like it's nothing after having a CCNA, and the A+ shouldn't give you much trouble either. Why act like what you've done has been a waste?

To be honest, I don't see those complementing a CCNA that well, nor do I consider a CCNA or comparable cert from another vendor to be specialized. That's still entry-level as far as I'm concerned.

If you're unsure what you want to do, hit up a some CompTIA exams, maybe CCENT and/or MCDST as well, and see what interests you. The Linux+ and Security+ might pique your interest as well. If you know which path you want to take, commit to that and don't waste your time with certs that won't help you with your goals.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Back to square one? You should pound out that Network+ like it's nothing after having a CCNA, and the A+ shouldn't give you much trouble either. Why act like what you've done has been a waste?

I think what he meant was that he regretted not taking A+ and Network+ first before studying for the CCNA. To him, the concepts portrayed in the CCNA would have been easier to grasp had he at least had the Network+ cert. I don't have a CCNA but from my understanding, it's an entry level cert that is still far more difficult than the Network+.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    BahshayBahshay Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in just about the same boat as you. I decided to skip A+ and go right to Net+. My reasoning is that I don't plan on working in the fields A+ is for. I may go back for it later, but for now I think my 4 year degree should show I have a working knowledge of computers.

With all that said, I have not completed Net+ yet, meaning I have no certs. I also am still college, so my job experience is also non-existent (though i'm working an internship this summer). So take everything I said with a grain of salt. My opinion is formed on discussions here and the teachers at my school I have talked to.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Don't waste your time just obtaining random certifications. Identify what you want out of a certification and go from there. What do you want to do once you have your degree? What type of job do you want? What are your interests? Do you like server administration? do you like networking? These things will dictate what you study.

I agree.

Your degree will benefit you more then most certifications.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Going to agree here again!

Nice posting Paul!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SamCarterSamCarter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If nothing else, the A+ will give you some exposure to what certification testing is actually like without scaring you too much. It also can be applied to the MCSA if you also take the Network +, so you have that option if you decide to go that route later on.

Some degree programs are starting to use certification study guides as text books. I would talk to some classmates to find out what books are required for your other classes. If you are already studying the material, it will be a no-brainer to get the test out of the way and you can get some great student discounts while you're at it. Even if you take a bunch of networking tests and later find out that you're more into programming, you can always leave them off of your resume.