Per VLAN STP

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Hey guys, I'm studying STP now and seem to have a pretty solid understanding of it. I do have a few questions.

1. How much is PVSTP used in real-life scenarios? It seems like it's a benefit, but it also appears to require a lot of configuration time.

2. Any tips on how to stay focused on troubleshooting these problems? I haven't started hammering away at testing yet so I might need to just wait...but I was curious if you guys have any tips.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    1. PVST is used extensively in the real world. I believe its the default on all modern switches.

2. Learn your show commands very well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. PVST is used extensively in the real world. I believe its the default on all modern switches.

2. Learn your show commands very well.

+1

Just learn the concepts well and understand how stp operates. it will help you make good sense of all the show commands and whats going on in the network.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    Hey guys, I'm studying STP now and seem to have a pretty solid understanding of it. I do have a few questions.

1. How much is PVSTP used in real-life scenarios? It seems like it's a benefit, but it also appears to require a lot of configuration time.

Yep its the default setting on all modern switches...... Most pepole will change it to Rapid - PVSTP if it is supported.... rapid spanning-tree rocks
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • mrblackmamba343mrblackmamba343 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 136
    PVST stands for per vlan spanning tree

A root bridge is elected for every vlan on a switch. There is a spanning -tree instance for every vlan.

Even though it is not recommended, you can have multiple root bridges for different vlans on your network. If you don't like the idea of a spanning-tree instance for every vlan look into MST (multiple spanning tree) which eliminates the need for PVST
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    PVST stands for per vlan spanning tree

A root bridge is elected for every vlan on a switch. There is a spanning -tree instance for every vlan.

Even though it is not recommended, you can have multiple root bridges for different vlans on your network. If you don't like the idea of a spanning-tree instance for every vlan look into MST (multiple spanning tree) which eliminates the need for PVST

Who recommends that you have the same root bridge for every VLAN? I certainly don't set it up that way. I usually set up an HSRP group with alternating active and roots between the devices. Adds for some load sharing and redundancy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • sixarmsixarm Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was also under the impression that having a different root bridge for each VLAN was quite a standard configuration to come across. As networker above mentions it adds load-balancing to the equation.