Options

MCSA, Network+, killing two birds with one stone?

clikcspeedclikcspeed Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've done 3 exams for my MCSA cert (2 core + 1 client os) now left with the elective and I have read that you can take the CompTIA Netork+ as an elective for MCSA which would complete my certification. What I want to know is, after getting the N+ cert and using it as an elective for MCSA, do you retain both certifications ie MCSA and N+? I was going to take an MS elective and then take N+ after, but if I can save time and money then I'd go for that option...
-clikc-

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    clikcspeed wrote: »
    I've done 3 exams for my MCSA cert (2 core + 1 client os) now left with the elective and I have read that you can take the CompTIA Netork+ as an elective for MCSA which would complete my certification. What I want to know is, after getting the N+ cert and using it as an elective for MCSA, do you retain both certifications ie MCSA and N+? I was going to take an MS elective and then take N+ after, but if I can save time and money then I'd go for that option...

Here is the thing: You have to have both A+ and N+ in order to get the elective credit. Furthermore if you go for you MCSE you dont not get credit for the 4th test. You could take the Security+ and get an MCSE credit. And yes you do retain both certs.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    You will need the Network+ AND the A+ to count as an elective for the MCSA. (The only CompTIA cert that is a stand-alone elective for MCSA is Security+.) Once you've taken the CompTIA exam(s) for your MS elective, you publish your credentials to Microsoft using the CompTIA website...then it will show up on your MS transcript. You will retain all your titles if you go this route.

Unless you were already planning on taking the CompTIA exams, it will turn out to be much more expensive to go the CompTIA elective route than to just take an MS elective. A+ & Network+ will run you over $500 for the exam fees alone, whereas an MS elective exam will be $125.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'd go for a CCENT after finishing up your Network+. It builds nicely on that foundation, whether or not you ever pursue Cisco certs from that point.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    I'd go for a CCENT after finishing up your Network+. It builds nicely on that foundation, whether or not you ever pursue Cisco certs from that point.

Do employers value the CCENT much? I know the CCNA is decent and above that is great. But, I haven't seen too much employers requesting CCENT certification.

I plan on getting my CCNA (and eventually work up to the CCIE, God willing). I'm sure that it would help, but I am not too wise when it comes to the employers wanting that certification... I'm not bashing or questioning it, I'm just curious! ;)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    PC509 wrote: »
    Do employers value the CCENT much? I know the CCNA is decent and above that is great. But, I haven't seen too much employers requesting CCENT certification.

I haven't seen very many job postings explicitly mention the CCENT either, to be honest. My thought here is-- it's fantastic for personal development and rounding out the skills you've acquired from the Network+. It also lays the foundation in case you should decide to go on to a CCNA.

I do believe over time there will be more explicitly stated demand for CCENTs. I think what some CCENT holders may encounter in the short haul is, "oh, you know basic Cisco? We could use that."
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers