Is it my age?

kramitkramit Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone else out there is having trouble breaking in2 the IT industry because of thier age, I am only 17 yet am MCP qualified and MCSA trained. If there is anyone out there who knows of any Jnr positions in the birmingham area (U.K.) plz plz plz get in contact with me. I am a very hard working and intuative person yet i cant seem to get a break.

thanks all

mike (aka kramit)

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if 17 is a legal age to work fulltime in the uk.. i would say it is that you have no professional experience.. find some tech placement services and take anything that they can get you to get your foot in the door after that is should be no prob after about 6 months to a year( generaly for anyone that is getting their first IT job you have to pay your dues and take a few contracts or temp jobs that suck in order to get to those that your education is specific to )

icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I think you'll find that the norm nowadays. Not so much your age directly, but being so young, you can't have any valuable experience in the job world. You may have to settle for an internship, or lower-paying job maybe as help-desk, before you go into MCSA jobs. I don't live in UK, so I don't any jobs there, but if you continue to study, work hard, someday you'll get it. I'm 27 with a little experience, and still looking for my big IT job.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • tech_111tech_111 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say a good way to get your foot in the door is to start out in computer hardware. Then move to system administrator, web development, database, or java. I started working at a local computer hardware store making only $6.00 an hour while attending night school for Networking. I finished my little 2 year degree while also getting the MCSE on my own time and I got a job making almost $40,000 a year with little experience other than the hardware and my classes at school. The job was cake, just using Ghost to install PCs and doing basic troubleshooting. That tech job got me in the door and I was able to move up into system admin and now I'm making alot more money after a few years.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    tech_111 wrote:
    I'd say a good way to get your foot in the door is to start out in computer hardware. Then move to system administrator, web development, database, or java. I started working at a local computer hardware store making only $6.00 an hour while attending night school for Networking. I finished my little 2 year degree while also getting the MCSE on my own time and I got a job making almost $40,000 a year with little experience other than the hardware and my classes at school. The job was cake, just using Ghost to install PCs and doing basic troubleshooting. That tech job got me in the door and I was able to move up into system admin and now I'm making alot more money after a few years.
    Same Story for me. Started off in hardware working through college, now I have been a System Admin for 4 years. I'm currently bleeding over into networking Cisco gear.