What is the current test version?

timharpurtimharpur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm getting ready to write on Friday and was checking for the exam code and noticed a new 2004 test objectives along with the old 2001 test objects. The 2004 is listed as 'beta version', however I just want to be certain as to which is the current test - the 2001 or has the 'beta' 2004 been implemented (and thus no longer 'beta').

Thanks icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    As it's still listed as "beta objectives", I would say you're going for the 2001 objectives. Comptia usually makes an anouncement when new objectives go live.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • superflyzx3superflyzx3 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go with the 2001 objectives, most of the study materials out there cover those. Besides just like every CompTIA cert, once you get it you’ll never have to update it.
  • timharpurtimharpur Inactive Imported Users Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. Going to write tomorrow.
    Pased with 800 :) . It was still the old objectives.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats!

How did you prepare for the exam?

Any more CompTIA exams on your wishlist?
    Primary study material was:
      Sybex Linux+ Study Guide Hands on practice with Mandrake 10 and a practice server Wrapped up with online and Transcenders practice tests

I was looking at CompTIA's HTI+ (Home Technology Integrator), but I'm not sure if that would have any value in my field. I may just go for CWNP instead, and try to get to level 4 of that one. Wireless is where it's at these days anyway. I was hoping that CompTIA would bring back their Wireless+ cert (it was on their books for a few months and then was pulled as they claimed they weren't ready to provide a vendor neutral version yet).

Boss pays for all my certs anyway, so I may as well keep on taken them.
  • vantagevantage Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what do you think was the hardest part? i mean ive used linux for maybe 6 months mostly using gentoo and slackware , and im not sure waht i should study for?
    It was all across the board, but definately know your console commands and linux directory structure. Having A+ was a definate asset, as about 15% of the exam is based on hardware - which is OS independent. Otherwise it was full spectrum - command line, GUI/X, networking protocols, hardware, file systems, etc. In addition to A+, having Network+ and Server+ also helped.
  • vantagevantage Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lol ok i dont have any certs at all at the moment so that doesnt help me, but i guess almost everything i know on linux is cool with cli , i dont really use gui's well besides Xorg and some others
    like what kind networking protocols , they want us to know about tcp/ip UDP stuff like that the pros and cons or what
    file systems i know i should setup NFS cause i havnt used it b4
    hardware? yea i can trouble shoot hardware i guess you mena like identifying it and configuring the kernel and modules? using /proc and lspci ect....
    umm liek user permissions theres a little i need to catch up on like how to count numeric permissions i think its like r w x
    1 3 4 or somthing like that id have to look it up
    but ya you guys suggest the sybex study book?
    Networking will primarily be TCP/IP seeing as that is pretty much the all around standard these days, but don't discount a little history lesson on protocols during the test.

Know your file systems, which are native, which are journalled, etc.

With hardware you must also know interrupts, common I/O addresses, DMA, etc. Know your interfaces: IDE/ATAPI, SCSI, PCI, AGP, ISA, USB, Firewire, etc. Basically, be able to identify/troubleshoot/resolve theoretical problems/conflicts that may occur when adding new hardware.

Know the Linux file hiarchy. Many questions asking where specific files are located.

Know the common Linux commands. Many questions on tarballs, RPM, find, grep, etc., and the proper switches, pipes, and redirectors to use with them for the desired effect.

Know the more popular software, esp. when it comes to servers.

Know how the file ownership/group/world atributes affect access to both files and directories.

I used Linux+ Study Guide by Sybex as my sole study guide. Mandrake 8, 9, and 10 as my only study platforms. I've actually used the Sybex study guides for each of my certs except A+.
  • jeepbrewjeepbrew Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I am about to sit the exam in the next few weeks!
    timharpur wrote:
    Networking will primarily be TCP/IP seeing as that is pretty much the all around standard these days, but don't discount a little history lesson on protocols during the test.

Know your file systems, which are native, which are journalled, etc.

With hardware you must also know interrupts, common I/O addresses, DMA, etc. Know your interfaces: IDE/ATAPI, SCSI, PCI, AGP, ISA, USB, Firewire, etc. Basically, be able to identify/troubleshoot/resolve theoretical problems/conflicts that may occur when adding new hardware.

Know the Linux file hiarchy. Many questions asking where specific files are located.

Know the common Linux commands. Many questions on tarballs, RPM, find, grep, etc., and the proper switches, pipes, and redirectors to use with them for the desired effect.

Know the more popular software, esp. when it comes to servers.

Know how the file ownership/group/world atributes affect access to both files and directories.

I used Linux+ Study Guide by Sybex as my sole study guide. Mandrake 8, 9, and 10 as my only study platforms. I've actually used the Sybex study guides for each of my certs except A+.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was on planning on taking this test soon but I'm unaware when the new version will be coming out because I still want to take the older objectives. I know the beta runs till the end of the year but i'm not really sure if they will roll out with the new test starting in January 2005. Any info on this will be a great help.