CPU Affinity

if CPU1 is using 90%, and CPU2 is using 10% on Dualcore processor:
would it make sense to quit the CPU affinity to improve system performance on Windows XP Professional workstation? it seems like CPU2 is not doing its job
if it was, wouldnt it be 50/50 or something like 60/40?..why would some certain applications such as 32-bit ones are so picky that i cant utilize CPU affinity?
someone please explain to me like i am a 6 years old?
i have A+ cert and admit that i should know the answer.

Thanks sirs/madams.
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you mean, "quit CPU affinity?"

CPU affinity is where you set which CPU you want a process to run on. If you are using CPU affinity, and it's way off like that, it means you misconfigured something. Windows should distribute the load fairly well by itself.

What are the processes that are taking the most CPU? If it's just one process using 80% by itself, you can't distribute that between cores. The application would need to be written to take advantage of that.
  • desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    What do you mean, "quit CPU affinity?"

CPU affinity is where you set which CPU you want a process to run on. If you are using CPU affinity, and it's way off like that, it means you misconfigured something. Windows should distribute the load fairly well by itself.

What are the processes that are taking the most CPU? If it's just one process using 80% by itself, you can't distribute that between cores. The application would need to be written to take advantage of that.

This individual speaks the truth.
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    it was from one of the question..dont wanna say where it is from.

yes...the 32-bit application is using 90% on CPU1 and CPU2 is using only 10% according to the question..it asked me what would i do to improve the performance?
    Answer is : Quit the CPU affinity, because like you said it is not spreading the job onto the second core.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."