problem installing xp on compaq cq40

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
I've got a blue screen installing xp on compaq cq40 but have no problem installing windows vista. I've searched google and found out about slip streaming using nlite. can anyone enlighten me how this works. thanks
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Download and install nLite. Copy the contents of your XP install disc to a directory on your PC. Download the full install versions of the various service packs if your disc is older. Download and extract the driver that you want to be integrated into the XP disc. Run nLite and pretty much follow the prompts.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had the same issue before. Built a computer, had XP SP0 disc, blue screen. Integrated SP2, worked great...
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I would slipstream the manual way.

nLite is anything but reliable.
    Jordus wrote: »
    I would slipstream the manual way.

nLite is anything but reliable.
    If you're manually slipstreaming SP3 into XP whilst running Vista or Server 2008 then you need to do something extra. It works but it'll do weird things like rejecting valid keys at the input stage. At the time I couldn't find or be bothered to work out the exact steps so just used nLite to do it the necessary extra steps. No idea if Microsoft have fixed the bug. It may only affect VLKs as well.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nLite rocks. Never had a problem with it...
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    thanks everyone. A friend told me the laptop is lock only to be used with Vista that's why I'm getting a BSOD, but I doubt it. Is there a laptop in production that's locked to a particular OS? any ideas?? thanks again.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've heard of a few mobos being intentionally incompatible with Linux, but I've never seen a machine locked to a specific version of Windows. BSODs are typically caused by bad drivers. Can you disable automatic reboot and see what the actual BSOD error is?
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    I can't remember the exact error msg but it's the typical BSOD telling it lock the machine to prevent damage... something like that. My know it all friend maybe assuming it's really locked to VIsta since we're not having any glitch installing it. There's no reboot happening after the BSOD..it just freezes.
    A friend told me the laptop is lock only to be used with Vista that's why I'm getting a BSOD, but I doubt it. Is there a laptop in production that's locked to a particular OS? any ideas?? thanks again.
    No. It won't be locked to Vista. It may not come with XP drivers is the only thing that may happen.
  • UncleCidUncleCid Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've got a blue screen installing xp on compaq cq40 but have no problem installing windows vista. I've searched google and found out about slip streaming using nlite. can anyone enlighten me how this works. thanks

Nlite is a very nice freeware. It's very small and stable. It has not failed me yet so far. It can include drivers, answer file conditions for hands free install, configure windows for certain settings... It can even burn the iso for you with the bootable disk portion of the cd/dvd inside the iso. One of my instructors at the school uses it when making 'streamed liscensed copies for his customers and such.

Personally, I would make it create an .iso file instead of burning. IF you are including drivers. That way you can test the iso to make sure it works in a virtual enviroment. If you have ANY drivers that are not compatible with the version you are using it will halt the installation. This way when you are sure your copy works, you can just burn it at your leisure with another program. I had to go through the process of elimination with my copy.. copies when i was doing it. ><

It also keeps try of previous settings so you can use the settings from a previous slip streams.