Trunk Link Between a Cisco 2811 and a PowerConnect 5324

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
So I'm battling my way through a migration project involving the retiring of an old SonicWall firewall and dropping a Cisco 2811 router in its place. Currently, my uphill climb, (aside from trying to translate SonicWall's wonky rules and methods to the Cisco,) is figuring out how to create a trunk line between the Cisco 2811 and a Dell PowerConnect 5324 switch. Apparently, Dell and Cisco don't speak the same networking-lingo, they certainly don't have any handy howtos on their forums, so I'm completely screwed. Basically, here's the setup:

The Cisco 2811 has two ethernet ports, eth0/0 and eth0/1. There are two subinterfaces, eth0/1.1 and eth0/1.2, the first going to the LAN and the second going to the DMZ. In an ideal world, I'd like to simply have two VLANs on the switch, the LAN and the DMZ vlans, saving me the trouble and money of going out and getting a second switch and an additional ethernet card for the router. I did a test with a non-production Cisco Catalyst 2950, setting up the trunk-port the way we all know and love, and it was no problem communicating between the router and the switch. When I tried to figure out how to do it on the Dell, no such luck. Dell, apparently, doesn't think a port set to trunk mode is actually a trunk port. The only progress I've made is figuring out that the router is configured correctly, doing 801.Q tagging and all all that good jazz, but the Dell won't talk to it.

It's 3am where I am, the only time I can really take down the whole network without any of the developers or the CEO freaking out. While I'm thinking of calling it quits for tonight and heading to bed, I'm going to dig tomorrow and find some configs to share with y'all. I figured I'd post the issue now, however, and see if anyone knows a straightforward solution to creating a simple trunk link between a Cisco 2811 router and a Dell PowerConnect 5324 to carry two VLANs.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    In vendors besides Cisco, trunking is equivalent to etherchannel. 'Tagging' is the method that other vendors use as their "trunking method." Also, at least with HP, you assign ports to a VLAN rather than vice-versa in the Cisco world.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I believe Dell refers to them as trunks also. Been a while since I've been in one of these, but I think it should be a straight forward config similar to a Cisco switch.

Can you post the configs?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'll start with the router config, I'm not hopping on the switch just yet mainly because today's a busy, BUSY day here at the office and I'm pretty sure I'd get flayed alive if I accidentally rebooted the switch or changed a setting during live production hours.

So far, I've done only a basic configuration, setting up the subinterfaces and assigning IP addresses, doing some basic NAT rules, etc. (I'm not going to go through the trouble of typing in passwords until I'm done logging into the damn thing ten times a day.) Once I'm past this hurdle, it's on to ZBF.
    Giygas#show run
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1793 bytes
    !
    version 12.4
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname Giygas
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    logging message-counter syslog
    !
    no aaa new-model
    !
    dot11 syslog
    ip source-route
    !
    !
    ip cef
    !
    !         
    !
    multilink bundle-name authenticated
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    archive
     log config
      hidekeys
    ! 
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
     description WAN
     ip address 206.176.238.162 255.255.255.224
     ip nat outside
     ip virtual-reassembly
     duplex auto
     speed auto
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
     no ip address
     duplex auto
     speed auto
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1.1
     description LAN
     encapsulation dot1Q 80
     ip address 192.168.80.1 255.255.255.0
     ip nat inside
     ip virtual-reassembly
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1.2
     description DMZ
     encapsulation dot1Q 90
     ip address 192.168.90.1 255.255.255.0
     ip nat inside
     ip virtual-reassembly
    !         
    interface Dot11Radio0/0/0
     no ip address
     shutdown
     speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
     station-role root
    !
    interface Dot11Radio0/0/1
     no ip address
     shutdown
     speed basic-6.0 9.0 basic-12.0 18.0 basic-24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
     station-role root
    !
    ip forward-protocol nd
    no ip http server
    no ip http secure-server
    !
    !
    ip nat inside source list NAT_ADDRESSES interface FastEthernet0/0 overload
    !
    ip access-list standard NAT_ADDRESSES
     remark Translating LAN traffic to the internet
     permit 192.168.80.0 0.0.0.255
     remark Translating DMZ traffic to the internet
     permit 192.168.90.0 0.0.0.255
     remark Just checking to see who else is trying to get out, by their source address.
     deny   10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
     deny   172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255
     deny   any
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    control-plane
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
     login
    !
    scheduler allocate 20000 1000
    end

The switch config(s) will soon follow.

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It looks like my coworker left the switch in a pretty bare state, the old config's been blown away and the VLANs we'd set up are gone. I won't be able to mess with the switch until late, LATE tonight. I'll post a config then, once I've tested a few things out.