Onboard + PCI card

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I use a HP Compaq CD5100 in work with a PCI graphics card for dual display, were could i find out if I can use the onboard aswell as the PCI card, I would like to add a 3rd display

Before I got o my manager asking for a 3rd display I need to be certain it is going to work

Had a quick google but cant seem to find anything

Thanks

Comments

• TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    Lee H wrote: »
    Hi

I use a HP Compaq CD5100 in work with a PCI graphics card for dual display, were could i find out if I can use the onboard aswell as the PCI card, I would like to add a 3rd display

Before I got o my manager asking for a 3rd display I need to be certain it is going to work

Had a quick google but cant seem to find anything

Thanks

Make sure its enabled and then just switch one of your current monitors to it and check. Sometimes the onboard is disabled if PCI installed...onboards esp on ubuntu seem to drag bad if used
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you need to check your BIOS settings. I believe on-board typically gets disabled when you install an add-on card, but I've heard some allow you to adjust that behavior. You could probably be pretty confident that it'll work with three if you are able to get the on-board running one of the two you have now.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    dynamik wrote: »
    I think you need to check your BIOS settings. I believe on-board typically gets disabled when you install an add-on card, but I've heard some allow you to adjust that behavior. You could probably be pretty confident that it'll work with three if you are able to get the on-board running one of the two you have now.

There is also an OS issue. XP will support 2-3 different video card vendors at once while with Vista you can not mix and match video cards from different vendors.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    JBrown wrote: »
    There is also an OS issue. XP will support 2-3 different video card vendors at once while with Vista you can not mix and match video cards from different vendors.
    I was interested about this so found this article about it from Microsoft.