Options

CCNA home study

HiTekRedNekHiTekRedNek Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've accumulated all the material that I need to start studying the CCNA except the hardware. Many retailers and online stores are selling different kits for CCNA home study. It is all pretty confusing to me since each package comes at a different price with different hardware. I've scanned around different sites for suggestions but I thought I'd post because I would like the most recent hardware recommendations required for setting up a CCNA home lab. There is a vendor I've been in contact with called routersale.com . I called the representative and he wanted to sell me this for $495.00/Can
3x Cisco 2501 (16D/16F)
2x DCE/DTE Back to back Cable
1x Transceiver
1x Console Cable kit
1x WS-C2950-24
5x Power Code

I basically want everything required but no overkill. Enough to get a thorough hands on understanding for only the CCNA. Anything above this I am not interested at this time. I also don't want to be in position where I am ready to start the course only to be missing a switch or some other piece of equipment that I have to scramble to buy. On the same site they are selling this as the high end package for $1750/can. This is also directed towards a CCNA however from reading other suggestions it appears to be overkill.
3x Cisco 2610 (64D/16F)
1x Cisco 2620 (64D/16F)
5xWIC-1T
2x WIC-1BU
6x DCE/DTE Back to back Cable
1x Console Cable kit
1x WS-C2924-XL-EN
1x Cisco 2520 (16D/16F) ( Frame-Relay)
1x Vconsole ISDN simulator
5x Power Code

Another thing I would like to know is what kind of boxes are people running at home once they have the equipment. I was thinking of buying a server to build an ESX box with a bunch of different NIC's. I'd like to hear some suggestions of other people's setup to give me suggestions on what I'm in for cost wise. If it gets to expensive I might as well go take formal training.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Hi,

I've accumulated all the material that I need to start studying the CCNA except the hardware. Many retailers and online stores are selling different kits for CCNA home study. It is all pretty confusing to me since each package comes at a different price with different hardware. I've scanned around different sites for suggestions but I thought I'd post because I would like the most recent hardware recommendations required for setting up a CCNA home lab. There is a vendor I've been in contact with called routersale.com . I called the representative and he wanted to sell me this for $495.00/Can
    3x Cisco 2501 (16D/16F)
    2x DCE/DTE Back to back Cable
    1x Transceiver
    1x Console Cable kit
    1x WS-C2950-24
    5x Power Code

I basically want everything required but no overkill. Enough to get a thorough hands on understanding for only the CCNA. Anything above this I am not interested at this time. I also don't want to be in position where I am ready to start the course only to be missing a switch or some other piece of equipment that I have to scramble to buy. On the same site they are selling this as the high end package for $1750/can. This is also directed towards a CCNA however from reading other suggestions it appears to be overkill.
    3x Cisco 2610 (64D/16F)
    1x Cisco 2620 (64D/16F)
    5xWIC-1T
    2x WIC-1BU
    6x DCE/DTE Back to back Cable
    1x Console Cable kit
    1x WS-C2924-XL-EN
    1x Vconsole ISDN simulator
    5x Power Code

Another thing I would like to know is what kind of boxes are people running at home once they have the equipment. I was thinking of buying a server to build an ESX box with a bunch of different NIC's. I'd like to hear some suggestions of other people's setup to give me suggestions on what I'm in for cost wise. If it gets to expensive I might as well go take formal training.

Thanks in advance!

Both are way, way overpriced. That being said, there are two ways to go about building a lab.

You can either buy one of these packages and pay a premium for them gathering everything together, or you can cut your costs by 20%-50% and buy each item individually off eBay. Most retailers on eBay include warranties, as well.

I'm sure someone can post a link for a recommended CCNA lab, but it will likely consist of something like 3 routers and 2 switches. If you decided to get the gear included in the "first" lab, posted above, then it would probably cost you around $150.
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    mzinz wrote: »
    Both are way, way overpriced. That being said, there are two ways to go about building a lab.

You can either buy one of these packages and pay a premium for them gathering everything together, or you can cut your costs by 20%-50% and buy each item individually off eBay. Most retailers on eBay include warranties, as well.

I'm sure someone can post a link for a recommended CCNA lab, but it will likely consist of something like 3 routers and 2 switches. If you decided to get the gear included in the "first" lab, posted above, then it would probably cost you around $150.

$150...WOW! am I ever glad I posted instead of getting ripped off. So you think the second package is too much equipment for the CCNA?

Through my work I have access to an online course. I may start the course and as I need the equipment, I can then purchase it. I'm a windows guy, so Cisco is a whole other world from what I do. I just want to make sure I can do it at home with the purchase of some Cisco gear and a virtualized box or 2 to save on as much power as possible.
  • Options
    I just noticed your last post said 2 switches. The $495 package only includes one. Is the second switch required? Is there anything else the first package is missing?
    The next package up is for $595 /Can and includes the following:

3x Cisco 2501 (16D/16F)
    4x DCE/DTE Back to back Cable
    2x Transceiver
    1x Console Cable kit
    1x WS-C2924-XL-EN
    5x Power Code
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I think it's great to get your hands on some real equipment, but have you considered using Dynamips? It is a free emulator that lets you work with a real CISCO IOS. Many people have been successful on the CCNA without investing in $500 worth of equipment. If after the CCNA, you love it and want to continue through the CCNP and CCIE, then an equipment purchase might make more sense.

I know many people swear by their home labs, but I just wanted to present an alternative. :) Some useful links:

Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial
    blindhog.net Cisco - Dynamips (Router Emulation Software) Installation Tutorial
    Dynamips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cisco 7200 Simulator - IPFlow Netflow Collector
  • Options
    I just noticed your last post said 2 switches. The $495 package only includes one. Is the second switch required? Is there anything else the first package is missing?
    The next package up is for $595 /Can and includes the following:

3x Cisco 2501 (16D/16F)
    4x DCE/DTE Back to back Cable
    2x Transceiver
    1x Console Cable kit
    1x WS-C2924-XL-EN
    5x Power Code

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I think that having a second switch would be ideal for the CCNA (not sure how many are recommended). So maybe you want to consider getting 3 routers and 2 switches.

To get an idea of cost, here are a couple eBay auctions:
    Cisco 2924: CISCO WS-C2924C-XL 24-PORT 2900 XL SWITCH 2924 - eBay (item 290321762746 end time Jun-10-09 08:20:18 PDT)
    Cisco 2501: Cisco 2501-DC router 16MB of DRAM - FREE S/H - eBay (item 140324723970 end time Jul-02-09 21:03:44 PDT)

Edit: You may consider getting 2950s instead of 2924s. They are about the same price, and the 2950s offer a few features that the other doesn't. I think the main ones are rate-limiting, mSTP, rSTP.
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I think it's great to get your hands on some real equipment, but have you considered using Dynamips? It is a free emulator that lets you work with a real CISCO IOS. Many people have been successful on the CCNA without investing in $500 worth of equipment. If after the CCNA, you love it and want to continue through the CCNP and CCIE, then an equipment purchase might make more sense.

I know many people swear by their home labs, but I just wanted to present an alternative. :) Some useful links:

Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial
    blindhog.net Cisco - Dynamips (Router Emulation Software) Installation Tutorial
    Dynamips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cisco 7200 Simulator - IPFlow Netflow Collector

This is all new to me. These days you can virtualize anything and everything. Has anybody out there gone through the entire CCNA curriculum using DYNAMIPS? Are there any serious drawbacks from using the real thing? (Other than not having the hardware right in front of you that is.)
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    This is all new to me. These days you can virtualize anything and everything. Has anybody out there gone through the entire CCNA curriculum using DYNAMIPS? Are there any serious drawbacks from using the real thing? (Other than not having the hardware right in front of you that is.)

Ive just started using dynamips it can be very useful for all your routing. Main downfall is you cant really do that much switch configuration with it. Ive tried STP and other stuff and it dont like that but for something like router on a stick it works fine. Id personally say just use dynamips and get a couple of 2950 switches for the CCNA. Depends if you want to use real kit or not.
  • Options
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    Ive just started using dynamips it can be very useful for all your routing. Main downfall is you cant really do that much switch configuration with it. Ive tried STP and other stuff and it dont like that but for something like router on a stick it works fine. Id personally say just use dynamips and get a couple of 2950 switches for the CCNA. Depends if you want to use real kit or not.
    I have much reading to do on DYNAMIPS however what you are saying is that I can use a combination of DYNAMIPS and real hardware to achieve my goals?
  • Options
    Everyone has their own preference when it comes to Virtualized vs Physical hardware. Some people can, and do, get by fine with Dynamips. Personally, I hated it. I like plugging a physical cable in, looking at my screen, and seeing output - just makes sense to me.

I'm a big visual learner, so this isn't a huge surprise for me :)
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    I have much reading to do on DYNAMIPS however what you are saying is that I can use a combination of DYNAMIPS and real hardware to achieve my goals?

yeh thats what ive done ive got a 2950 switch set up and then got some virtual routers which run off genuine IOS. I think it works really well =)
  • Options
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    yeh thats what ive done ive got a 2950 switch set up and then got some virtual routers which run off genuine IOS. I think it works really well =)

+1

Once I figured it out, it was pretty easy to use real switches with virtual routers.
  • Options
    Has anybody out there gone through the entire CCNA curriculum using DYNAMIPS? .)

Many thousands of people have passed the CCNA without buying real equipment for their home lab.
  • Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    If you are planning on continuing on with the Cisco training beyond CCNA, here is what I would recommend:

3x 1721 routers (prices range from US$10 + shipping to US$45 +shipping apiece) Make sure you get the power brick and power cable with these.

3x WIC-1T cards (if none of your routers comes with one..)(Approx US$20 plus shipping apiece)

3x DCE to DTE crossover DB60 cables (Approx US$3 apiece, plus shipping)

If you can get a 2522 for less than US$70, then get that for you frame relay switch. They seem to be horribly overpriced on Ebay right now for some reason. If not, perhaps you can get a WIC-2T card for one of the 1721's, get the appropriate cables, and use that 1721 as your frame relay switch. In that case, you can pick up another cheap 2500 series router ($10-$20 + shipping) solely for frame relay practice.

And last but not least...

2x 2950 EI switches.. (ranging from US$70 all the way up to US$150 + shipping.) There are 2 on Ebay right now Buy It Now for less than $75.....

As I calculate it, this is a solid solid lab that will serve you well even if you decide to progress to your CCNP. (You'll still need to buy more equipment for the CCNP, however.

You can replace a 2950 switch with a 2924, but you will lose some capabilities that you need to practice for the CCNA.

You can also replace one or two of the 1721 routers with some of the older 2500 series routers (search Ebay for "Cisco 2500 series routers", you get a million hits) to save a few bucks if you need to, but again, you'll lose some capabilities.

You CAN put together a lab for a little less, if you trim here and there, but you will lose a few capabilities. It's up to you, and depends on what your future plans on the Cisco track are.

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    mzinz wrote: »
    Everyone has their own preference when it comes to Virtualized vs Physical hardware. Some people can, and do, get by fine with Dynamips. Personally, I hated it. I like plugging a physical cable in, looking at my screen, and seeing output - just makes sense to me.

I'm a big visual learner, so this isn't a huge surprise for me :)

I have seen many many wierd interface, IOS, and hardware related problems from getting my routers off Ebay and having to get them loaded with a current IOS and getting them working.

That's stuff Dynamips cannot train you for.

Russ
  • Options
    Many thousands of people have passed the CCNA without buying real equipment for their home lab.
    Oh I realize this but I like going through the curriculum and actually performing what they say to do. I think I will read a bit about Dynamips and try to find examples of how people have their lab configured.
  • Options
    pogue wrote: »
    I have seen many many wierd interface, IOS, and hardware related problems from getting my routers off Ebay and having to get them loaded with a current IOS and getting them working.

I have to agree with this it does help to get hands on experience with kit so even if your just waiting for your kit to arrive or you need a couple of extra routers for a lab i couldnt recommend dynamips enough.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    They'd be a little lacking in switch experience if so. Dynamips can't and won't simulate proper Cisco switches. You either pretend by making a router with a NM-16ESW or use the very basic switch support built into Dynamips. Either one isn't ideal.
  • Options
    pogue wrote: »
    If you are planning on continuing on with the Cisco training beyond CCNA, here is what I would recommend:

3x 1721 routers (prices range from US$10 + shipping to US$45 +shipping apiece) Make sure you get the power brick and power cable with these.

3x WIC-1T cards (if none of your routers comes with one..)(Approx US$20 plus shipping apiece)

3x DCE to DTE crossover DB60 cables (Approx US$3 apiece, plus shipping)

If you can get a 2522 for less than US$70, then get that for you frame relay switch. They seem to be horribly overpriced on Ebay right now for some reason. If not, perhaps you can get a WIC-2T card for one of the 1721's, get the appropriate cables, and use that 1721 as your frame relay switch. In that case, you can pick up another cheap 2500 series router ($10-$20 + shipping) solely for frame relay practice.

And last but not least...

2x 2950 EI switches.. (ranging from US$70 all the way up to US$150 + shipping.) There are 2 on Ebay right now Buy It Now for less than $75.....

As I calculate it, this is a solid solid lab that will serve you well even if you decide to progress to your CCNP. (You'll still need to buy more equipment for the CCNP, however.

You can replace a 2950 switch with a 2924, but you will lose some capabilities that you need to practice for the CCNA.

You can also replace one or two of the 1721 routers with some of the older 2500 series routers (search Ebay for "Cisco 2500 series routers", you get a million hits) to save a few bucks if you need to, but again, you'll lose some capabilities.

You CAN put together a lab for a little less, if you trim here and there, but you will lose a few capabilities. It's up to you, and depends on what your future plans on the Cisco track are.

Russ
    Thanks for the hardware suggestions. I need to find a time to research this now. Are there any tips for buying off e-bay? Like what IOS should I have? etc....Anything else specific for the hardware listed above? I don't want to get ripped off or so frustrated I quit before I begin.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aside from switching, it's fairly common to see people using dynamips/dynagen all the way through IE studies.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Thanks for the hardware suggestions. I need to find a time to research this now. Are there any tips for buying off e-bay? Like what IOS should I have? etc....Anything else specific for the hardware listed above? I don't want to get ripped off or so frustrated I quit before I begin.

Read these pages... Helped me a lot in figuring out what to get.

CCNA Lab Main Post Summary | NetworkWorld.com Community
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thanks for the hardware suggestions. I need to find a time to research this now. Are there any tips for buying off e-bay? Like what IOS should I have?

Preferably, the latest IOS the router/switch will support.

That being said, I personally don't see anything wrong with doing whatever you gotta do to get your lab up and running. Having more people ceritified with Cisco certs ends up selling more Cisco routers...

Having certified people up to date on the most bleeding edge IOS features...Sells more Cisco routers, IMHO. So, that being said, I am not directly gonna tell ya how to find what ya need....

But I will say specialized Google search features are your friend. Learn to use them well, and you can find a LOT of utilities/informational material/other miscellaneous stuff.

And no, I am not talking about ****. **** don't help with Cisco certs anyways, lol.

Russ