Point2Point T1's

qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
First off I am now finally able to get my hand dirty at work! I do have 1 problem... I have never setup point to point T1's on my own... Would anyone care to chime in and give me some pointers and or point me to the right direction / documentation?....

Thanks TE!

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    When isn't a T1 point to point? What exactly are you trying to set up?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    When isn't a T1 point to point?

icon_lol.gif

I think he means a leased line directly connecting two locations.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Ahh okay. Makes more sense. Sorry. Having a slow day today :D I've done basically 5 minutes worth of work today but 4 hours worth of travelling. 2 hours to get to the datacenter. 5 minutes to swap a dead drive. 2 hours to get back ><

Buy two routers with a T1 card in each and umm thats about it really... The telco should handle everything else. If you've done a CCNA then you should be red hot regarding setting up point to point links :D
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes taht's waht I meant...and I am as you said red hot on this :D
  • UncleCidUncleCid Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    qp81 wrote: »
    yes taht's waht I meant...and I am as you said red hot on this :D

I wish I was "red hot." What does take to be that?!
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    The datacentre should have a comms guy who should have handed off the telco circuit to you. They will have had the telco engineer in and installed the circuit. Depending on how it is presented (fibre, copper, X.21, G703, etc) you run that to your router and connect it to the relevent module on your router. (Hopefully this was worked out prior to you turning up at the data centre)
    Kam.
    sigh...i should really learn how ot use cisco docs...tsk tsk thanks! btw I can't seem to find the doc cd on ciscos market place... am i just blind?
    qp81 wrote: »
    btw I can't seem to find the doc cd on ciscos market place... am i just blind?
    Nope. Cisco have been moving stuff around and breaking links for years now on their site. I've no idea how you order a Doc CD via the online store.

The last CD I got by shouting at our Cisco rep.
    one last thing...what type of info woudl I need from teh telco if any... My T1 cards just came in and will be getting the routers on Monday. I'm going to be mocking them up witha xover to play with it before I set it up :D
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The telco will most likely give you the config you need to put on your interface. Or at least a template to use.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    The telco will most likely give you the config you need to put on your interface. Or at least a template to use.

Not generally... What's your's is your's.... What's there's is there's.

All telcos are so cutthroat these days, if you need help configuring your side of things, you will pay for the advice through the nose.... unless you make it part of the order.
    Kam.
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Not generally... What's your's is your's.... What's there's is there's.

All telcos are so cutthroat these days, if you need help configuring your side of things, you will pay for the advice through the nose.... unless you make it part of the order.

Wow, that is pretty harsh. I've always seen some guidance to the customer. It would make it pretty difficult for both sides if they didn't tell the customer how to set up their end of the circuit. Maybe its different in the UK....
    Wow, that is pretty harsh. I've always seen some guidance to the customer. It would make it pretty difficult for both sides if they didn't tell the customer how to set up their end of the circuit. Maybe its different in the UK....
    Yeah. The telco responsibility ends at the demarc. They'll give you the basic info necessary but anything extra isn't guaranteed.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Yeah. The telco responsibility ends at the demarc. They'll give you the basic info necessary but anything extra isn't guaranteed.

Man you guys are getting horrible service in the UK icon_wink.gif

I understand demarcation, I have worked at a few service providers myself, but not giving the customer all the information they need or request to turn up their link is outrageous!
    not giving the customer all the information they need or request to turn up their link is outrageous!
    They'll give you the information but won't give you an example config etc...