Problem with a Linksys router and a Laptop with Windows Vista

LefanduchLefanduch Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys

I'm configuring a brand new laptop (compal laptop), with Windows Vista. The problem is that when i want to connect to the router (WRT54G with WPA security, channel 6) Windows Vista asking me for the PIN CODE, not the WPA KEY. Then i must click something like I Don't want to configure the network, i just want to connect and after that i can enter the WAP Key.

Config:

HL91 Laptop (Compal)
CPU: Intel P8600
RAM: 2 gig 800mhz sodimm
HD: 160 Gig SATA 7.2k Seagate
Wireless Card: Intel 3945ABG

Nothing else is connected to the router (except the internet). I don't have the problem if i'm using the Default Windows Drivers, but it's Kind of Slow when i'm connecting. With Intel Wireless Drivers, the signal seems to be more fast, but i have the problem. I tryed also on other router who were in the range and i had the same problem, so it's seem to be something in my Windows or Intel Drivers.

I did not try to get the lastest firmware cause i never had this problem before with alot of router with the same firmware.

Well, thanks for help!

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You can safely ignore it. The PIN code system is part of WiFi Protected Setup. The manufacturer prints a unique PIN code on the bottom of the device and you type that into your computer. It will then automatically set up encryption and channels by itself. Its to make it all easier to setup for general users.
  • LefanduchLefanduch Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    You can safely ignore it. The PIN code system is part of WiFi Protected Setup. The manufacturer prints a unique PIN code on the bottom of the device and you type that into your computer. It will then automatically set up encryption and channels by itself. Its to make it all easier to setup for general users.

Thanks for the Answer! The thing is this is not my router, this is a brand new customer router. I don't want the customer to be force to enter the PIN CODE when it will not connect automatically. I want him to enter the WAP key as it should be. There must be a solution for that! Never seen that before! :D
    There should be an option somewhere in the router settings to disable WPS.

If you'd prefer to disable it on the laptop itself, try reinstalling the PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility. During setup, it should give you the option to not install the WPS components.
    There should be an option somewhere in the router settings to disable WPS.

If you'd prefer to disable it on the laptop itself, try reinstalling the PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility. During setup, it should give you the option to not install the WPS components.

I don't think it's in the router, i had the same problem with other router on the network, so it's should be on the laptop.

For the Installation utility, i use the one in Windows Vista, when i installed the driver i selected custom and i chose to install the driver, not utility.
    Lefanduch wrote: »
    I don't think it's in the router, i had the same problem with other router on the network, so it's should be on the laptop.
    Ah okay. I've never actually used WPS. My old Linksys AP had an option in the settings for WPS but I don't have anything that supported WPS so it was never a problem :)
    For the Installation utility, i use the one in Windows Vista, when i installed the driver i selected custom and i chose to install the driver, not utility.
    You'll have to dig around in the installed software to see what is doing WPS. Vista itself doesn't do it I don't think...
    Ah okay. I've never actually used WPS. My old Linksys AP had an option in the settings for WPS but I don't have anything that supported WPS so it was never a problem :)

You'll have to dig around in the installed software to see what is doing WPS. Vista itself doesn't do it I don't think...

I never used that WPS, doing this always manually!

Well, I'll check tommorow at the job, thanks alot for your help, it's appreciated! icon_wink.gif

I will give you some news about this.
    Finally i solved the problem, it's was Windows Vista SP2. When SP2 is not installed, no problems. When it's installed, we have the problem. Finally i just ignored it because in the future the router will always connect automatically so everything is fine!

I found nothing on the web about this because SP2 is new.

Well thanks alot for you help and sorry for the double post. icon_wink.gif
    Finally i solved the problem, it's was Windows Vista SP2. When SP2 is not installed, no problems. When it's installed, we have the problem. Finally i just ignored it because in the future the router will always connect automatically so everything is fine!
    Hmm. Good to know that its part of SP2! Thanks for posting your findings.
    Hmm. Good to know that its part of SP2! Thanks for posting your findings.

We also discover that with Windows Vista Ultimate and SP2, we can't download Language Packs via Windows Update. Probably they have to rebuild them. I guess i should wait them to be available.