Dell PowerEdge 2650 Ram

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
So I picked up a Dell PowerEdge 2650. It only has 1gig of ram in it.

I was going to jump online and snag a couple 1gig sticks of PC2100 with ECC but a coworker said I have to get the Dell Memory kit. Is this so? Looks like regular old PC2100 with ECC to me? Any reason why I would have to buy the dell stuff?

(it's a just a home lab for goofing with XenServer)
-Daniel

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Go look it up on Crucial's site. It'll tell you exactly what type of RAM you need. It shouldn't need specific Dell RAM.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tiersten wrote: »
    Go look it up on Crucial's site. It'll tell you exactly what type of RAM you need. It shouldn't need specific Dell RAM.
    Hmm. The only PE 2650 listed on Crucial has 533MHz FSB also next to it and it wants PC-2700 RAM instead. I guess your one doesn't have a 533MHz FSB?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's pretty common for Dell to offer the option of slower memory in their server than the max speed of the FSB
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How many slots do you have free Daniel33? And how many are you looking for?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had a 2650 about 3 weeks ago and used it without a dell mem kit without issues so your fine.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The manual even states "PC1600 compliant memory".

4 slots free it currently has 2x 512ram in it.

I'll just snag some PC2100 ECC from tigerdirect/newegg (who ever is cheaper) and give it a shot.

thanks!
    -Daniel
  • MorenMoren Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You definitely do not need a matching kit from dell for this to work. You've got 6 slots and chances are you either have 2 modules of 512MB in there at the moment or 4 modules of 256MB. Just be sure to install in pairs and you should be fine. Have a look at the link below i found for reference:::

Dell PowerEdge 2650 (400MHz Front Side Bus) Memory - Upgrade Dell PowerEdge 2650 (400MHz Front Side Bus) RAM :: diaHmemory