Options

How to duplicate an existing domain name in DNS for local use

poguepogue Member Posts: 213
I have a few virtual machines on one computer in my lab, and on the PDC/Web Server, I would like to duplicate the domain name of a known domain out there on the internet.

The problem is, I create the site, and put a default.htm in the root directory of the site, and do a dns flush, but when I attempt to go to http://server01.exampledomain.com, dns resolves the name to the existing domain, and redirects me to the existing domain on the web through my virtual machines' connection to the web.

I know I could just disable the outside connection and continue testing, but I'd like to get this to work the way I want.

I want to be able to ping server01.exampledomain.com, and have it resolve to the local webserver I am on. I don't know much about dns, and I figure there is just a special record I need to put in the DNS server (which is also the PDC) which will send the web request to the local machine.

Halp?

Russ
Currently working on: CCNA:Security
Up next: CCNA:Voice

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll need to create a new forward lookup zone for that domain, and then create the appropriate host record.. If that's not in DNS, it will just go back out to the internet unless you've disabled recursion.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You'll need to create a new forward lookup zone for that domain, and then create the appropriate host record.. If that's not in DNS, it will just go back out to the internet unless you've disabled recursion.

I had already created a new forward lookup zone..

exampledomain.com

and an A host record

with the IP address of the web server/PDC/DNS server

Do you think the server is getting confused because it is handling all three duties at once?

Russ
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you clear the cache with an ipconfig /flushdns or did you clear the cache in the DNS MMC (I believe dnscmd can do it if you want to do it via the command line)? If you didn't clear it out of the server, it is likely still cached there.

What do you get if you do an nslookup www.exampledomain.com
  • Options
    Well, the problem changed a little bit since I posted last.

Now, whenever I go to www.exampledomain.com, I get the web page that is te default for the default website I created during my labs in the book.

I go into the site for www.exampledomain.com in IIS manager.. And as far as I know, I have it correctly configured. I have the same IP address as the default, same port (80), but I have a header value (www) input, where as the default site has none.

So, both sites are "running", neither is stopped.

I go to the DNS forward lookup zone for exampledomain.com, and put in an A record pointing to the IP address of the web server. (Which is the same IP address as the default site.)

Same thing. www.exampledomain.com returns the default page of the default site.

I then change the TCP/IP settings of the VM NIC, and manually input the same IP address as before, and I point the DNS to the the PDC/DNS/Web Server I am currently working with.

I go to the internet, works fine..So, the virtual network is still whole.

I set up a secondary IP address on the VM NIC, and change the example.com "www" A record to reflect this same IP address. I make the IP address change in the IIS manager site properties.

Still getting the default web page of the default site.

I guess I am just not all that clear on what specific steps one needs to run multiple sites from the same Web Server... icon_sad.gif

Russ
  • Options
    Forgot to say...Yes, I had been clearing the DNS with ipconfig/ flushdns.

Russ