Options

routing pxe packets

mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all.

I am trying to get PXEboot to work on a 2600 series router, and i'm not too sure on the syntax for the bootfile line. I have read up on this, and some use:
bootfile \x86\boot\wdsnbp.com
or some just use
bootfile \boot\wdsnbp.com
or even just
wdsnbp.com

Could anyone shed any light on this? I'm sure this is why it is no working!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You'll probably get a better response if you ask about PXE booting Windows in one of the Microsoft forums on here.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Are you trying to boot a workstation on a different subnet? If so, you probably just need to define the ip helper address so it knows where to send the request. If it's on the same subnet, the router shouldn't even figure into it.
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for the responses, and apologies for not giving enough info in the first place.

I have a server 2003 WDS server, and i did have dhcp configured on there too. This worked fine, pc's pxe booted, and i could image pc's and take images.

I have recently dug out my cisco 2600 router to practise on again, and i have disabled dhcp on the wds server, as i wanted the router to broadcast dhcp instead.

wds server: 192.168.0.205
    cisco router: 192.168.0.60

I am now trying to tell the router where to look for the bootfile to t.f.t.p at the f12 prompt on a pc, which is why i have not posted this in the MS forums, as i am reffering to a cisco config.

so far i have this...

ip dhcp pool lan
    network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
    bootfile wdsnbp.com
    next-server 192.168.0.205
    domain-name contoso.msft
    dns-server 192.168.0.205 192.168.0.1
    default-router 192.168.0.1
    option 66 ip 192.168.0.205
    option 60 ascii "PXEClient"
    option 150 ip 192.168.0.205
    lease 7

i figure as suggested that i am missing perhaps an ip helper, or maybe the bootfile config line is incorrect? Please bear with me on this - i am a cisco noob, and have gathered this dhcp config from various sources

Thanks again

ps... Whats with not being able to write t.f.t.p without the dots on this site?? :)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    ah, i've never let the router serve as my dhcp server, I let one of my debian servers handle those duties, so all I have to do is forward the traffic
  • Options
    strange!
    My pc picks up a dhcp address whilst in windows, but when i reboot and try to pxe boot, i'm not even getting a dhcp address?? whats going on????
  • Options
    adeeteeadeetee Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    strange!
    My pc picks up a dhcp address whilst in windows, but when i reboot and try to pxe boot, i'm not even getting a dhcp address?? whats going on????

I don't have enough info to help you out with your problem..
    But I image Wyse devices all the time which are PXE enabled.
    The first boot should be selected as Boot from LAN in that case.. And I use that to send images to the Wyse winterms from the server.
    Now, I don't know and am not sure if your device should/can get an address thru DHCP for PXE..
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    my device(s) are capable of booting to network... i had it working when my server 2003 box had the dhcp role.

I have installed microsoft network monitor now on a pc to capture packets whilst attempting obtain an ip address via dhcp when trying to pxe boot.

it seems to send the request for an ip, and then i come accross this:

11 6.867000 {IPv4:5} 192.168.0.60 192.168.0.25 ICMP ICMP:Destination Unreachable Message, Port Unreachable, 192.168.0.60:4011

192.168.0.60 - cisco router
    192.168.0.25 - wds server 2003

It appears something is trying to connect to port 4011 on the router....

[scratch head]
  • Options
    Has anyone any idea what could be causing this?