Options

MeasureUp tests harder or easier than the actual test?

PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
After going through the MS Press 2008 Network Infrastructure Training Kit, I took the included MeasureUp test to see where I was and to ID my areas of weakness. I didn't do very well, but it made me wonder, how hard is this test compared to the exam I'm going to face for my certification?

There were several questions in there I had no idea the answer, topics (WSUS Superseding comes to mind) that aren't in the MSPress book at all. And reviewing my answers, it looks like I struggled most on the Choose All That Apply answers, usually adding an extra check mark where none was needed, typical over-examination for me. Does the cert exam give partial credit? icon_redface.gif

Anyways, just wondering what everyone thought. If can can soon breeze the MSPress test (without memorizing the answers that is), am I set, or am I just getting started? :)

Thx
P
:study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later

Comments

• Options
    Piers wrote: »
    And reviewing my answers, it looks like I struggled most on the Choose All That Apply answers, usually adding an extra check mark where none was needed, typical over-examination for me. Does the cert exam give partial credit? icon_redface.gif

for instance, is this considered one wrong question, or a 4 out of 5 partial credit answer?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MS doesn't disclose how exams are graded, but there isn't any indication that they'd give partial credit for that.

You might want to go through Claymoore's stickies as well.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You might want to go through Claymoore's stickies as well.
    I plan on it ;)
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Piers wrote: »
    And reviewing my answers, it looks like I struggled most on the Choose All That Apply answers, usually adding an extra check mark where none was needed, typical over-examination for me. Does the cert exam give partial credit? icon_redface.gif

There is a methodology difference between the MeasureUp exams and the actual MS exam. MeasureUp will say 'choose all that apply' while MS will say 'choose 2' (or 3 or whatever). MS will even take it a step further and say whether each answer of the chosen 2 is a complete solution or if the 2 answers are partial solutions that must be combined to form a complete solution. I don't know if they give partial credit, so try to get full credit.

Earlier exams used to have requirements such as 'choose all that apply', 'choose the best answer', or 'choose the answer that involves the least administrative effort'. The worst were the scenario questions that presented you with a problem that had primary and secondary objectives and a solution to meet them. You then had to decide if the solution met:
    a) None of the objectives
    b) Only the primary objective
    c) The primary and one of the secondary objectives
    d) The primary and both of the secondary objectives
    Those sucked. Simulation exams are so much better, IMO.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I scored 60% and then 67% on the measureups for 70-640 and then made a 925 on the actual exam.

If that is any indication to you ;)
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Claymoore wrote: »
    There is a methodology difference between the MeasureUp exams and the actual MS exam. MeasureUp will say 'choose all that apply' while MS will say 'choose 2' (or 3 or whatever). MS will even take it a step further and say whether each answer of the chosen 2 is a complete solution or if the 2 answers are partial solutions that must be combined to form a complete solution. I don't know if they give partial credit, so try to get full credit.

Earlier exams used to have requirements such as 'choose all that apply', 'choose the best answer', or 'choose the answer that involves the least administrative effort'. The worst were the scenario questions that presented you with a problem that had primary and secondary objectives and a solution to meet them. You then had to decide if the solution met:
    a) None of the objectives
    b) Only the primary objective
    c) The primary and one of the secondary objectives
    d) The primary and both of the secondary objectives
    Those sucked. Simulation exams are so much better, IMO.
    Ugh, I hated the practice questions that asked you about primary/secondary objectives...the questions were a page long! Thankfully I didn't see any of those on my 290 exam, but I did see at least a question or two (sims actually) regarding doing something with the least administrative effort.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll get no sympathy from me. Some of the questions in this last Transcender I used had six or so options with a "choose all that apply," and many would only have a single correct answer. Talk about questions that make you second-guess yourself icon_eek.gif

Yo Skrpune, wait until you take 297 or 298 icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote: »
    You'll get no sympathy from me. Some of the questions in this last Transcender I used had six or so options with a "choose all that apply," and many would only have a single correct answer. Talk about questions that make you second-guess yourself icon_eek.gif

Yo Skrpune, wait until you take 297 or 298 icon_lol.gif
    Aw geez, I'm already scared of the 291 exam, don't be getting me all freaked out about other tests yet! icon_pale.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    I scored 60% and then 67% on the measureups for 70-640 and then made a 925 on the actual exam.

If that is any indication to you ;)

ahh, that's what I like to hear.. love to be overprepared
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MeasureUp exams, in my experience and judgement are fluff. You need to go into more depth. PrepLogic and Transcender are two prep exam companies that are pretty good.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would agree with this for some tests but not all. I have used measureup for almost all of the exams I have taken. For my MCDST exams I was scoring 70s and 80s on the practice exam and scored in the mid 900s on the actual test. I agree with this for the 291 and for the 431, but I think many of the other exams were very good. I used measureup (online access) for my Server 2008 upgrade exam and it helped me to score in the mid 800s on the actual exam, same I was scoring on the practice tests. I felt the MeasureUp questions were actually more in depth for this test than the actual test questions were.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Piers, when are you taking the exam?
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    Piers, when are you taking the exam?

one week today, the 24th
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    certain questions on the 649 transcender were harder than what I saw on the test. I've always had good luck with Transcender.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."