MCSE 2k3 or MCTIP or both

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hello,

Newbie here to certs and looking for opinions and advice. My company just bought me a subscription to the Careersaver Microsoft cert training kits. This subsciption gives me the books, software and test exams to study for most any MS certification. I am a bit torn about whether I should jump straight in to the MCTIP information, or if I should aim for the MCSE first, or both, maybe MCSE then upgrade.

The infrastructure I currently manage is all Win2k/2k3 so the MCSE might be easier. However the MCTIP would give me valuable knowledge and prepare me when we decide to upgrade to 2008. My objective in getting certified is to gain knowledge, test my knowledge level and add another level of marketability to my resume, in that order.

Given the same scenario what would you guys and gals do?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you think you could get through the MCSE quickly based on your experience, that might be a good starting point. The knowledge would also directly benefit you. You could always find some middle ground and do the MCSA and then upgrade.
  • N1NN1N Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a newbie too.. if I don't have MCSE/MCSA. Should I taking MCSE/MCSA first or just jump to MCTIP? please give me some advice. Thanks!
    N1N wrote: »
    I'm a newbie too.. if I don't have MCSE/MCSA. Should I taking MCSE/MCSA first or just jump to MCTIP? please give me some advice. Thanks!

What's your background and current job responsibilities? If you're not deeply involved with 2003 and it's going to take you over a year to complete a track, you might want to start with the 2008 exams. 2003 isn't a bad place to start either. While a handful of things replace what was currently there, nearly everything builds on what was already there. It's not like the knowledge will be useless.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Id like to know more about your technical background and professional goals?

Generally I still stand by the ...
    MCDST >> CCENT >> MCSA >> CCNA
    ...path for anyone who is entry or junior level in IT.
    -Daniel
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The vendor just called me and I ended up going with the materials to start studying the 70-640. We'll see how it goes.
    I had computer science degree. Last month I got laid-off from position Software QA Engineer . Now I want something different in my career path. As my previous work I'm not involve anything with windows server or database. Same as previous question... Should I taking MCSE/MCSA first or just jump to MCTIP? please give me serious advice. Thanks!
  • HallucinateHallucinate Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    What's your background and current job responsibilities? If you're not deeply involved with 2003 and it's going to take you over a year to complete a track, you might want to start with the 2008 exams. 2003 isn't a bad place to start either. While a handful of things replace what was currently there, nearly everything builds on what was already there. It's not like the knowledge will be useless.

I think what dynamik said sums it up pretty well.

If you currently working with 2003 Server, MCSE is probably exactly where you want to start. If you don't really have any experience with 2003 server and arent working, you probably want to start with MCITP.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    both + CCIE & MCA.
    brad- wrote: »
    both + CCIE & MCA.

I can't imagine studying that long for a certification.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Technically if you are choosing IT as a career, you will be studying your entire life up until you retire. It's something most IT guys accept when entering the market. The ones that don't make that commitment probably don't excel like the others do. It will work for me because I've always had a love of learning.. not just computers but everything.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
    TravR1 wrote: »
    Technically if you are choosing IT as a career, you will be studying your entire life up until you retire.
    wow! you make a very good point. I never think about it. I have to consider my decision again before enter to IT as a career for the rest of my life. Thanks!
    You can always do something like shift into management where you just need to keep up with major advances, and you can let your stuff deal with the nitty-gritty configurations.

I think most of us like IT because of the constant changes though. I'd lose my mind if I had to do the same thing for the rest of my life.

I don't think things like the CCIE are too bad if done right. I think too many people try to rush through them or don't stick with them long-term. I'm not saying that obtaining one isn't an amazing accomplishment. It just seems like there's this notion that you need to sacrifice your personal life in order to obtain one, and I really believe that if you can put in a moderate amount of time each week and stick with it, you'll be in pretty good shape in a couple years.
    For me, there is difference between my daily studying and cert studying. The stuff I study on a daily basis I am able to apply immediately. Cert studying is useful knowledge that I may not apply for months, which makes it difficult for me to stomach.

I agree that studying and learning will always be required to stay in IT and be competitive.