Problem sending mail using a different mailbox but with full mailbox access.

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hello All,

I seem to be having a problem with the above topic. The run down is as follows;

In our network we run Exchange 2003 V6.5, the clients run Outlook XP.

We use "resource" mailboxes that at times require mail to be sent out from. The catch is it does not seem to be working the way we want it to.

The scenario is an employee (UserA) has full mailbox access over a resource Mailbox (Resource1). When i say full mailbox access I go into AD, properties of the mailbox > Exchange Advanced, add UserA and give them full mailbox access.

When i add this mailbox as a profile and log directly into it and try sending an email it says "You do not have permission to send on behalf of this user". I thought this is all that was required but after doing some reading (How to Manually Grant Send As Permissions to a User with Full Mailbox Access) it turns out that is not the case.

So what i then did was using AD, i went to view and advanced features. Then i went back into "Resourse1" and could now see ther secrutiy tab. I went into this and added "UserA" and gave him the SEND AS permission. Then i synched up the domains, updated the exchange policies, logged UserA in and out and tried running the Resource1 profile again and sending an email but the same error occured.

The only way i can get it to work is if i go into AD, Select Resource1 and go properties> Exchange General>Delivery Options and then give UserA Send on Behalf permissions. When i do this it works.

What is the problem with doing this i hear you ask? Well multiple problems really. Firstly it is double handling. Y should i have to set the permissions twice? Surely giving full mailbox access means full mailbox access. But most concerning is you cannot add Groups to the Send on behalf. This becomes an administrative nightmare and be damned if i am going to add 100 users to each mailbox because they may be sending from it.

So my question is. Am i missing something or is this how it is done? Ideally when you give full mailbox access it would include the ability to send as the inbox, but even trying microsfts suggestion did not work so i am quite lost. Any feedback or ideas would be grealty appreciated.

Thank You

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you want Send As (mail looks like it came from that mailbox and not the person sending it) or send on behalf of (it shows up as "_______ on behalf of Resource1")?

If you just want to send as, all you have to set is Send As. If you additionally want to have full access to the mailbox, set Full Mailbox Access. Full Mailbox Access doesn't grant Send As, if I remember correctly... it just gives access to the mailbox data.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    blargoe wrote: »
    Do you want Send As (mail looks like it came from that mailbox and not the person sending it) or send on behalf of (it shows up as "_______ on behalf of Resource1")?

If you just want to send as, all you have to set is Send As. If you additionally want to have full access to the mailbox, set Full Mailbox Access. Full Mailbox Access doesn't grant Send As, if I remember correctly... it just gives access to the mailbox data.

Correct. And remember Send As is a permission on the AD object. Full mailbox access is granted on the mailbox object.
    Good luck to all!
  • albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Blargoe yes i want it to appear as the mail is sending as the mailbox and not as "UserA on behalf of Resource1".

The catch is though even when i go into the security tab of "Resource1" in AD and set UserA to have SEND AS permission it still does not work.

The only way it works is when i go into the exchange general tab of Resource1 and then choose the delivery options and then adding UserA to the Send on behalf of group.

And when i say it works i mean as the actual mailbox. So i can get it to do what i want, i just wanted to get to the bottom of why that works but giving the SEND AS permission does not.

I hope i am making it clear, apologies if i am not.

Thanks again :)