Options

scratching my head on frame relay

adeeteeadeetee Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am going crazy trying to make frame relay work on packet tracer...

Here's a link of a very simple point-to-point frame relay lab, please tell me where i went wrong...

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download frame-relay.pkt

( starting to hate packet tracer )

P.S. ::::: if you find my config very lame... please tell me how to test frame relay using packet tracer... icon_sad.gif
Wish List :
CISSP...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are your connected interfaces showing up when you do a show ip route?

Did you do a show ip interface brief?
    Are your interfaces up? If not, why not?

If your protocol isn't up on an interface -- why not?
    Did you do a show interface serial 2/0?
    Did you do a show controller serial 2/0? Did you check your cable? Did you set clocking on the DCE end of the cable?

Do your PVCs show active? And match your configuration?

Did you check your frame relay maps? Do you have layer 2 to layer 3 address mapping? If you do a debug ip packet and ping the other end of your connected interfaces and see an encapsulation failed message, then you don't.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    mikej412 wrote: »

Did you do a show ip interface brief?
    Are your interfaces up? If not, why not?

If your protocol isn't up on an interface -- why not?
    Did you do a show interface serial 2/0?
    Did you do a show controller serial 2/0? Did you check your cable? Did you set clocking on the DCE end of the cable?

Do your PVCs show active? And match your configuration?

Did you check your frame relay maps? Do you have layer 2 to layer 3 address mapping? If you do a debug ip packet and ping the other end of your connected interfaces and see an encapsulation failed message, then you don't.

+1 Mike is trying to get you to use your troubleshooting methods.
  • Options

first part was easy to figure out... i forgot the clock rate on R1..

Now, I can ping R2 from R1.. but not other way round...

Mapping looks fine to me... PVC is active..
    though debug ip packet says unroutable...

I shouldn't be supplying frame-relay map command for point-to-point, I guess...?
    Anyway... still trying to figure out... Thanks for correcting the first half..
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    adeetee wrote: »
    first part was easy to figure out... i forgot the clock rate on R1..

Now, I can ping R2 from R1.. but not other way round...

Mapping looks fine to me... PVC is active..
    though debug ip packet says unroutable...

I shouldn't be supplying frame-relay map command for point-to-point, I guess...?
    Anyway... still trying to figure out... Thanks for correcting the first half..
    You're on the right path. icon_scratch.gif Don't stop yet! ;)
  • Options
    Does your hub show as point-to-point when you do a show frame-relay map?

Do your spoke routers show as point-to-point when you do a show frame-relay map?

Do you see the "encapsulation failed" when you debug ip packet on the spokes and try to ping the hub router?

Are the spoke routers point-to-point subinterfaces? Or are the spoke routers using the physical interface.....
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Also you need to fix the unroutable
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    I am going crazy trying to make frame relay work on packet tracer...

Here's a link of a very simple point-to-point frame relay lab, please tell me where i went wrong...

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download frame-relay.pkt

( starting to hate packet tracer )

P.S. ::::: if you find my config very lame... please tell me how to test frame relay using packet tracer... icon_sad.gif
    The one thing I hate about packet tracer is not having to actually move serial cables on interfaces. IE. which end is DCE, which end is DTE ;)
  • Options
    Does your hub show as point-to-point when you do a show frame-relay map?

Do your spoke routers show as point-to-point when you do a show frame-relay map?

Do you see the "encapsulation failed" when you debug ip packet on the spokes and try to ping the hub router?

Are the spoke routers point-to-point subinterfaces? Or are the spoke routers using the physical interface.....

Okay... Mike n everyone... call me stupid or whatever... but i couldn't figure out...

What I have done though is... Created another hub n spoke topology.. and this time created subinterfaces even on the spokes... (Jeremy said it works better.. icon_wink.gif )

It's working and functional..

So, the question is, if the spokes don't have sub-interfaces configured, the command should be 'frame-relay map' ? instead of 'frame-relay interface-dlci'?
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    Okay... Mike n everyone... call me stupid or whatever... but i couldn't figure out...

What I have done though is... Created another hub n spoke topology.. and this time created subinterfaces even on the spokes... (Jeremy said it works better.. icon_wink.gif )

It's working and functional..

So, the question is, if the spokes don't have sub-interfaces configured, the command should be 'frame-relay map' ? instead of 'frame-relay interface-dlci'?

And yes... don't know if I need clear vision glasses.. :D But I can't see encapsulation failed... icon_sad.gif
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    Not on point-to-point interfaces, you still just use the dcli.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    And yes... don't know if I need clear vision glasses.. :D But I can't see encapsulation failed... icon_sad.gif

Frame map is static resolution from layer 3 to 2 and frame interface dlci is to bring down the dlci to the sub-interface and since it is point to point there is no inverse arp and for multi-point it will then do inverse arp. All DLCI by default will go to the main interface received from FR switch
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    kryolla wrote: »
    See my comment above but for frame-relay you need to debug frame packet and for ethernet debug ip packet for encap failures.

Frame map is static resolution from layer 3 to 2 and frame interface dlci is to bring down the dlci to the sub-interface and since it is point to point there is no inverse arp and for multi-point it will then do inverse arp. All DLCI by default will go to the main interface received from FR switch

my mapping wasn't correct... I corrected that on Router 2... wiped config.. reconfigured... and its working now.. Yay!!!

I have to say.. I love this forum... thank you guys!
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Just a question...do you have to setup a frame relay switch to get the frame relay labs to work?

None of the documentation I've gone over has mentioned setting one up except for this ciscokits lab guide.

And I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work otherwise...
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    /usr wrote: »
    Just a question...do you have to setup a frame relay switch to get the frame relay labs to work?

None of the documentation I've gone over has mentioned setting one up except for this ciscokits lab guide.

And I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work otherwise...

You can set it up back to back with a serial cable between two routers. Thats what i used to do, just add the no keepalive command to the serial interfaces. I think configuring the actual frame relay switch is in the CCNP cert but may be wrong there.
  • Options
    I mean, I have the ability to setup a frame relay switch, I just didn't know if it was necessary.

Right now I've got a 2620XM with a NM8A/S, then 2 back to back cables going to my 2520's.

I'm having trouble getting the freaking interface to even come up, they're still both showing down/down.
  • Options
    probably best if you posted your configs, so people can see what you have configured so far i.e. the serial interfaces.
  • Options
    I'm working with it right now. The physical interface not coming up was due to the fact that I was using the wrong one. icon_redface.gif

But I'm still in an up/down state. LMI type is set to cisco on both ends.
  • Options
    I'm working with it right now. The physical interface not coming up was due to the fact that I was using the wrong one.

ahhh i always have those days =) good way to learn though lol. You got the encapsulations set on all the interfaces, clock rates etc??
  • Options
    encapsulation, ip addresses, map statements, clock rate on the DCE end

When I do a "show frame map", the status on both routers is "deleted". I think that's my biggest issue right now, though I'm not exactly sure why I'm seeing that.
  • Options
    When I do a "show frame map", the status on both routers is "deleted".biggest issue right now, though I'm not exactly sure why I'm seeing that.
    You're trying to use a DLCI that isn't configured on your frame relay switch.
  • Options
    I don't have my 2620 setup to act as a frame switch. Is this necessary?

Router 1 and Router 3 are connected using a back to back cable. Router 3 is providing the clocking. Both interfaces are in an up/down state.

Relevant config:
    Router1#sh frame map
    Serial1 (up): ip 10.2.2.3 dlci 102(0x66,0x1860), static,
                  broadcast,
                  CISCO, status deleted

Router3#sh frame map
    Serial1/1 (up): ip 10.2.2.1 dlci 103(0x67,0x1870), static,
                  broadcast,
                  CISCO, status defined, inactive

Router1#sh frame pvc

PVC Statistics for interface Serial1 (Frame Relay DTE)

Active     Inactive      Deleted       Static
      Local          0            0            1            0
      Switched       0            0            0            0
      Unused         0            0            0            0

DLCI = 102, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = DELETED, INTERFACE = Serial1

input pkts 0             output pkts 0            in bytes 0
      out bytes 0              dropped pkts 0           in pkts dropped 0
      out pkts dropped 0                out bytes dropped 0
      in FECN pkts 0           in BECN pkts 0           out FECN pkts 0
      out BECN pkts 0          in DE pkts 0             out DE pkts 0
      out bcast pkts 0         out bcast bytes 0
      5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
      5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
      pvc create time 15:18:56, last time pvc status changed 00:11:47

Router3#sh frame pvc

PVC Statistics for interface Serial1/1 (Frame Relay DTE)

Active     Inactive      Deleted       Static
      Local          0            1            0            0
      Switched       0            0            0            0
      Unused         0            0            0            0

DLCI = 103, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = INACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial1/1

input pkts 0             output pkts 0            in bytes 0
      out bytes 0              dropped pkts 0           in pkts dropped 0
      out pkts dropped 0                out bytes dropped 0
      in FECN pkts 0           in BECN pkts 0           out FECN pkts 0
      out BECN pkts 0          in DE pkts 0             out DE pkts 0
      out bcast pkts 0         out bcast bytes 0
      5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
      5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
      pvc create time 00:11:45, last time pvc status changed 00:11:45

• Options
    I don't have my 2620 setup to act as a frame switch. Is this necessary?
    The configurations that you may be tested on would require the use of a frame relay switch.

Oh -- but you are not tested on the configuration of the router acting frame-relay switch.
    Router 1 and Router 3 are connected using a back to back cable.
    The stupid router tricks you need to know for a back-to-back with no frame switch:
    no keepalive command on your serial interfaces
    DLCI must be the same on both sides
  • Options
    Ugh, that got it working in a matter of minutes. Thank you!

I understand the theory behind using a frame switch and I suppose that's what I was trying to configure.

All study material I've used so far has poorly presented configuring frame relay in a lab environment. I've used Odom's book, CBT Nuggets and the Trainsignal CBT. None of the material goes over how to configure frame relay without a frame switch, like you just showed me. And all of the material I've used thus far just assumes you have a frame switch in the middle, because no material except the ciscokits lab guide has presented how to configure one.

And basically a back to back frame relay configuration seems useless, considering you have to use the same DLCI on each end. It kind of defeats the purpose and makes actually understanding frame relay a bit more difficult, IMO.

So just clarify, I would be expected to configure/troubleshoot frame relay on the exam as if there were already a preconfigured frame switch in the middle, but wouldn't be expected to actually configure one myself?

I still most likely will since I've got the 2620XM and the NM to do it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just curious, are you using Bryant's stuff at all?
  • Options
    You know, that was actually the first CCNA study material I bought, but I've since wiped my laptop and lost the eBook.

I wasn't a huge fan of his writing style, to be honest...
  • Options
    Ugh, that got it working in a matter of minutes. Thank you!

I understand the theory behind using a frame switch and I suppose that's what I was trying to configure.

All study material I've used so far has poorly presented configuring frame relay in a lab environment. I've used Odom's book, CBT Nuggets and the Trainsignal CBT. None of the material goes over how to configure frame relay without a frame switch, like you just showed me. And all of the material I've used thus far just assumes you have a frame switch in the middle, because no material except the ciscokits lab guide has presented how to configure one.

And basically a back to back frame relay configuration seems useless, considering you have to use the same DLCI on each end. It kind of defeats the purpose and makes actually understanding frame relay a bit more difficult, IMO.

So just clarify, I would be expected to configure/troubleshoot frame relay on the exam as if there were already a preconfigured frame switch in the middle, but wouldn't be expected to actually configure one myself?

I still most likely will since I've got the 2620XM and the NM to do it.
    2620XM as a frame switch? I guess you could. I use a 2520, for now. Picked one up off Ebay for $27 including shipping.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You know, that was actually the first CCNA study material I bought, but I've since wiped my laptop and lost the eBook.

I wasn't a huge fan of his writing style, to be honest...

Ah, I just know he has some good labs in there. I've watched his TS videos but only skimmed the ebook. Email him if you want to get your ebook back; he's really good with stuff like that.
  • Options
    Right. You get a "working cloud"

Here's a sample of an "old style" config to use a Cisco Router as a frame relay switch. There's a newer way to do it which lets you configure both ends at once.... but this config was easier to find.

I think this is the config I pasted into my 3620 with NM-8A/S..... can't remember if I had to fix any typos (or if I ever copied the working config back) -- so don't assume this is 100% until you test it and verify it yourself.

Adjust your ports, speeds, lmi type, and other options to match your hardware and personal favorites.

This is a full mesh with a single connection between routers -- with the easy "standard numbering."
    frame-relay switching

interface serial 1/0
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    encapsulation frame-relay
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay lmi-type ANSI
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 102 interface Serial1/1 201
    frame-relay route 103 interface Serial1/2 301
    frame-relay route 104 interface Serial1/3 401
    frame-relay route 105 interface Serial1/4 501
    frame-relay route 106 interface Serial1/5 601
    frame-relay route 107 interface Serial1/6 701
    frame-relay route 108 interface Serial1/7 801

interface serial 1/1
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 201 interface Serial1/0 102
    frame-relay route 203 interface Serial1/2 302
    frame-relay route 204 interface Serial1/3 402
    frame-relay route 205 interface Serial1/4 502
    frame-relay route 206 interface Serial1/5 602
    frame-relay route 207 interface Serial1/6 702
    frame-relay route 208 interface Serial1/7 802

interface serial 1/2
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 301 interface Serial1/0 103
    frame-relay route 302 interface Serial1/1 203
    frame-relay route 304 interface Serial1/3 403
    frame-relay route 305 interface Serial1/4 503
    frame-relay route 306 interface Serial1/5 603
    frame-relay route 307 interface Serial1/6 703
    frame-relay route 308 interface Serial1/7 803

interface serial 1/3
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 401 interface Serial1/0 104
    frame-relay route 402 interface Serial1/1 204
    frame-relay route 403 interface Serial1/2 304
    frame-relay route 405 interface Serial1/4 504
    frame-relay route 406 interface Serial1/5 604
    frame-relay route 407 interface Serial1/6 704
    frame-relay route 408 interface Serial1/7 804

interface serial 1/4
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 501 interface Serial1/0 105
    frame-relay route 502 interface Serial1/1 205
    frame-relay route 503 interface Serial1/2 305
    frame-relay route 504 interface Serial1/3 405
    frame-relay route 506 interface Serial1/5 605
    frame-relay route 507 interface Serial1/6 705
    frame-relay route 508 interface Serial1/7 805

interface serial 1/5
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 601 interface Serial1/0 106
    frame-relay route 602 interface Serial1/1 206
    frame-relay route 603 interface Serial1/2 306
    frame-relay route 604 interface Serial1/3 406
    frame-relay route 605 interface Serial1/4 506
    frame-relay route 607 interface Serial1/6 706
    frame-relay route 608 interface Serial1/7 806

interface serial 1/6
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 701 interface Serial1/0 107
    frame-relay route 702 interface Serial1/1 207
    frame-relay route 703 interface Serial1/2 307
    frame-relay route 704 interface Serial1/3 407
    frame-relay route 705 interface Serial1/4 507
    frame-relay route 706 interface Serial1/5 607
    frame-relay route 708 interface Serial1/7 707

interface serial 1/7
    no ip address
    no ip directed-broadcast
    clock rate 115200
    frame-relay route 801 interface Serial1/0 108
    frame-relay route 802 interface Serial1/1 208
    frame-relay route 803 interface Serial1/2 308
    frame-relay route 804 interface Serial1/3 408
    frame-relay route 805 interface Serial1/4 508
    frame-relay route 806 interface Serial1/5 608
    frame-relay route 807 interface Serial1/6 708
  • Options
    Yeah, that makes sense. That's about the same (although more detailed) config that's in the ciscokits lab guide for configuring a router to act as a frame relay switch.

Thanks again!