Bing?

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
This happened a few days ago but Microsoft Live Search got renamed to "Bing". Is it just me that thinks this new name is a bit silly sounding and the original one was better? I did think that Google was a daft name originally however...

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, your right it sounds absolutely rediculous. I don't know who they hire for advertising bit they should be fired. That being said, the Bing web site seems nice enough on both mobile and desktop browsers.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't "get" the name, but I don't think it really matters in the end either. If something is simple and memorable (and it would probably help if it the actual product did something useful), it'll be fine.

I think it's not going to do much better than Live did simply because it isn't Google.

I've actually heard good things about a lot of the Live products; I've just never got around to using them icon_redface.gif
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sonicwall was flagging Bing.com as "Adult Content" yesterday. icon_lol.gif

So everyone who was searching via MSN kept getting flagged! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505

So everyone who was searching via MSN kept getting flagged! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Technically Sonicwall wasn't wrong! There has been some issues about adult content on Bing. The mini video preview being one of them.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009

Article on why Bing is rated as an adult website.

InternetSafety.com Rings the Alarm on Bing.com
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The other day I accidentally typed in updates.microsoft.com (note the plural) and got a bit wierded out seeing this bing thing come up, as it was the first I had heard of it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I don't "get" the name,
    think of the sound a lightbulb might make going off in your head as in:

"BING! there that's what I was looking for"

That said I haven't used it. Been a Googler since late 1998 (worked at a University) when I switched from Infoseek or was it Altavista, Excite, or HotBot? (notice the common theme, none of them exist today).

UPDATE: found this quote from Microsoft
    So why did we pick Bing as the new brand name? We needed a brand that was as fresh and new as our approach. It needed to be like the product — optimized for the Internet. A name that was memorable, short, easy to spell, and that would function well as a URL around the world. We like Bing because it sounds off in our heads when we think about that moment of discovery and decision making — when you resolve those important tasks. And frankly, the name needed to clearly communicate that this is something new, to invite you to come back, to re-introduce you to our new and improved service and encourage you to give it a try.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "Bing" does, and always will remind me of

863_300px_Chandlerbing.jpg
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Pretty much the same for me and everybody else I've talked to...
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've tried it for a couple of days, and I really don't care for it. Some of the features such as the video preview on mouseover and the image search are pretty slick, but as far as basic web search - no thank you. Using the same search criteria for various searches at Bing as well as Google, and I find pretty consistently that Bing returns a bunch of results that are not very related while Google is much more consistent at returning related results.

The name is a bit odd, but I'm sure that if it gained steam like Google had that it would catch on.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    give it a few more months EVERYONE will be using it
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    give it a few more months EVERYONE will be using it

Yeah, just like cuil. Google is just too popular to be taken over right now. Even if something better came out it would take a lot to over throw Google in the search department. People don't even say search anymore they just say Google.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote: »
    So why did we pick Bing as the new brand name? We needed a brand that was as fresh and new as our approach. It needed to be like the product — optimized for the Internet. A name that was memorable, short, easy to spell, and that would function well as a URL around the world. We like Bing because it sounds off in our heads when we think about that moment of discovery and decision making — when you resolve those important tasks. And frankly, the name needed to clearly communicate that this is something new, to invite you to come back, to re-introduce you to our new and improved service and encourage you to give it a try.

As dumb as people are getting, that may be a deciding factor...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Gomjaba wrote: »

863_300px_Chandlerbing.jpg

How does it not remind you of this?!

YouTube - Monty Python - Hospital Sketch
    Good luck to all!