Options

Passed 70-294 w/ 807

bjstickbjstick Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Very wordy and obnoxious test. I now have one exam to go for my MCSE:M. I can take the 70-297 and be done with the track, or I can take the 70-298 and get my MCSE:M and with two more tests (70-299 & Security+) also get my MCSE:S. I'm definitely tired of Microsoft exams at this point, but you can never have enough certifications I suppose.

I am leaning toward the 70-298 at this point. How difficult will this exam be without having taken the 70-299? Is the Security+ as much of a joke as the A+? I remember taking the A+ after school without any extra preparation.
Current Track: MCSE 2003: Security

80.0% complete. WIP: 70-299

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dude, if you think 294 was wordy, wait until you take a design exam icon_lol.gif

298 and 299 cover roughly the same content (although it's presented in completely different manners). If you've got that material down, just sit them both at the same time. That's what I did, and I only used 299 material to prepare for both of them.

The difficulty of Security+ will depend a lot on how much you know. It's definitely more difficult than the A+, and it has a higher score required to pass. However, it still is an introductory cert. I did mine right away. At the point you're at, you've already spend a decent time with things like IPSec, PKI, etc., so you should find it at least somewhat easier than I did.

Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I personally found the Security+ to be one of the most difficult exams I've done. It covers a wide amount of material. Of course it was my second certification (my first was the A+) so I would find the exam a lot easier now. It all really depends upon your security experience. You might not have much to study and brush up on for the Security+. Congratulations on your 294 pass by the way!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would take the Security+, then 299, then do the 298. I found the 299 to be challenging, but not as broad as say the 291. 299 will touch on some of the security you learned about in 293.
  • Options
    bjstickbjstick Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got this e-mail:

"Congratulations on becoming a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer!

By earning a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) certification, you have made a valuable investment in your future.

We hope you enjoy the benefits of membership in the Microsoft Certified Professional community, and we look forward to helping you succeed as a Microsoft Certified Professional.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. If you have any questions, please contact your Microsoft Regional Education Service Centers, which can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/training/worldsites, or visit the Microsoft Certified Professional page http://www.microsoft.com/mcp for the latest program and certification information.

Thank you,
    The Microsoft Certified Professional Team"

I don't get how that is possible, unless they are counting my 70-285 as my design exam requirement? Or maybe my A+ had some effect?

70-270, 70-284, 70-285, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, and 70-294
    Current Track: MCSE 2003: Security

80.0% complete. WIP: 70-299