Anyone going to DEFCON 17 this year?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Hmm... If I had earlier notice then probably... Maybe DEFCON 18 :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Hmm... If I had earlier notice then probably... Maybe DEFCON 18 :)

That's a pretty weak excuse given that it's an annual event icon_lol.gif

Here's last year's thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/30537-defcon-16-a.html#post207312

Edit: I just re-read that thread. Unfortunately, I'm still a noob... icon_sad.gif
    dynamik wrote: »
    That's a pretty weak excuse given that it's an annual event icon_lol.gif
    True >< I always forget about DEFCON until it is a bit too late. It will mean going to Vegas twice in a year tho since I'm usually at CES...
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can we get a caravan started? maybe a separate thread?
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    True >< I always forget about DEFCON until it is a bit too late. It will mean going to Vegas twice in a year tho since I'm usually at CES...

Whats wrong with going to Vegas twice a year, we're a great town to be going to multiple times :) Don't be listening to Obama, he changes his mind way to often to really give credence to.

This post does not reflect the bias that I live in Las Vegas and by no means that we need money due to being one of the hardest hit cities in the recession due to the foreclosure crisis (we were one of the fastest growing states/cities in the USA) and the drop in tourism that always happens during recessions. icon_wink.gif

On a more serious note, I'm not sure if I'll be going to DEFCON myself. I'll probably be out classed due to not being a 133t haxor.
  • qp81qp81 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sigh..... did you have to do it in l33t sp3a1< ? taht's sooo k1dd13 :P

I still believe in the old school meaning of the word :D
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As do most of the community that are over the age of 20. :D

Times are a changin'!

I'd love to go, and I want to go to Vegas anyway. I've been wanting to go for the past 15 years, just never did. Now, I'm getting far enough into my career and knowledge that I might gain quite a bit by attending... Wonder if I'll get laughed at for being a Windows Admin?! :D
    Talic wrote: »
    Whats wrong with going to Vegas twice a year, we're a great town to be going to multiple times :) Don't be listening to Obama, he changes his mind way to often to really give credence to.

This post does not reflect the bias that I live in Las Vegas and by no means that we need money due to being one of the hardest hit cities in the recession due to the foreclosure crisis (we were one of the fastest growing states/cities in the USA) and the drop in tourism that always happens during recessions. icon_wink.gif
    No. You've got me wrong. There isn't anything wrong with Vegas itself and I actually quite like the place :) It is more of a can I afford to go to Vegas twice in a year thing LOL.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wish I could icon_sad.gif
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I will definitely be at Defcon 17 in two weeks. I'm hoping to get my amateur radio license there too this year. I have a need to legally blast 1500 watts of signal power out of my 802.11 equipment. icon_twisted.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is some serious wattage. I love Amateur Radio! Packet and A.P.R.S. especially! :)
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get my amateur radio license there too this year. I have a need to legally blast 1500 watts of signal power out of my 802.11 equipment. icon_twisted.gif
    No encryption on the link tho if you do use the amateur radio rules and you have to broadcast your callsign every 10 minutes or so.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    The last one I went to was back in 2004, and it was awesome. A few of my friends are going this year, wish I was going as well.

Should be a good time by all.

Would like to hit BlackHat as well...
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will actually be in Philly around then...go figure!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I am expecting my first born around that time. I am planning to attend one of these days.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
    No encryption on the link tho if you do use the amateur radio rules and you have to broadcast your callsign every 10 minutes or so.
    That is true only for FCC Part 97 amateur operations. 802.11 falls under Part 15 for unlicensed wireless devices and has no such requirements.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That is true only for FCC Part 97 amateur operations. 802.11 falls under Part 15 for unlicensed wireless devices and has no such requirements.
    If you're pumping out 1500W then you have to follow the part 97 regulations which forbid encryption (or at least encryption without publicly disclosing the key) and require the callsign broadcast. You can't classify the device as conforming to part 15 whilst using the part 97 power limits.
    Looks like they relaxed the requirement for no encryption back in 2003. an amendment made to Article 25.2A (1A) at the 2003 World radio Conference no longer specifically prohibits the use of encryption and other strong security measures on transmissions between Amateur Radio stations within the same jurisdiction.

You still need to conform to the regulations about broadcasting your callsign in clear, no commercial traffic and the decency rules. Not that the last two anybody can actually check since they're allowing encryption without disclosing the key now.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I wish I was going to Defcon, unfortunately it's right smack in the middle of our datacenter move, so no one is getting any time off.
    The Defcon 17 media archives has just been released! Anyone who missed D17 can now relive the darkest moments of hacker enlightenment.

https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-archives/dc-17-archive.html