How to test max bandwidth

marcusaureliusbrutusmarcusaureliusbrutus Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi. We have an isp that is supposed to provide us a 1.5 mbps link. Checking fluke, it shows that the highest utilization that we ever had was less than 1 mb. Is there a way to simulate a bandwidth test from the router to our isp router to check whether we do have a 1.5 mbps link? I am aware of the application iperf but from what i understand it works on a pc to pc test and a server and a client needs to be setup. I guess i am looking for a way to test the connectivity directly from the router to our isp router at random intervals without informing our isp because they might make adjustments during our test that would give us a false bandwidth result.

Thanks.

Comments

• marcusaureliusbrutusmarcusaureliusbrutus Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Joey,

Thanks for the reply. However, i am looking for a router to router test.

Regards,

Lester
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    PRTG/MRTG/Cacti/InsertYourFavoriteHere pulls data directly from the router via SNMP. It'll allow you to graph and trend data over time. As far as a router to router test, well that all depends on the routers involved. If both ends are unix boxes, you can use iperf. Otherwise, you're kind of limited.

You're pretty much going to have to get the ISP involved and request a line test if you think something is wrong with the media. You seem to have an adversarial relationship with them. If they're not willing to help you out, or worse, will lie to you, stop giving them your money.

Honestly, I think the best way to make your case is to setup a receiving station which you know will get at least 1.5 down, and setup a very large file transfer to that receiving station (think a few gigs) and graph the results. Make sure you turn any QoS off. If you're only getting 1.0 when you should be getting 1.5, call the ISP, mail them the graph and ask 'hey guys, wtf?'
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    You can actually use PRTG for router to router use, we are using it it montor our bandwidth for all of our point to points from our main wan router to each of our branch routers. However, I am not sure if it can be used from an internet router to the ISP as you won't have access to their routers. The speed test though, will let you know if you are getting the advertised bandwidth that you are signed up for. I know some ISP's provide a bandwidth type graph that you can use to check for when your interent bandwidth spikes and so on but you would probably have to contact them about it which you might not want to do as you pointed out, but if they were cheating you and you contacted them and they "fixed" it as to not look bad, well then you might get a tool from them and the correct bandwidth at the same time :)
    Not to purposely hijack the thread, but...

Funny story about PRTG. Our network engineer, who is a CCIE, is at a training class for some new gear we're getting.

He sends an IM back to the NOC asking us to install PRTG on his network monitoring server (we have a proper distributed NMS setup, but of course he has to have his own machine to do some monitoring because he doesn't trust the machines we maintain....) Apparently the course instructor is going on and on about how great it is and he wants to check it out.

Now, this is from someone who is an avowed Microsoft hater. He drank the Kuppertino Kool-Aid a long time ago. And further more, the server in question is running Debian.

We told him 'sorry, can't do it.'. He got all huffy and wanted to know why.

We linked him to PRTG's requirements page. It took him a few minute to get it.
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Not to purposely hijack the thread, but...

Funny story about PRTG. Our network engineer, who is a CCIE, is at a training class for some new gear we're getting.

He sends an IM back to the NOC asking us to install PRTG on his network monitoring server (we have a proper distributed NMS setup, but of course he has to have his own machine to do some monitoring because he doesn't trust the machines we maintain....) Apparently the course instructor is going on and on about how great it is and he wants to check it out.

Now, this is from someone who is an avowed Microsoft hater. He drank the Kuppertino Kool-Aid a long time ago. And further more, the server in question is running Debian.

We told him 'sorry, can't do it.'. He got all huffy and wanted to know why.

We linked him to PRTG's requirements page. It took him a few minute to get it.

HAHAHA, I guess "the great, know-it-all" trainer felt pretty foolish after getting all huffy and puffy about it and then you all set him straight.
  • marcusaureliusbrutusmarcusaureliusbrutus Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

Thanks for all your reply. I guess i am looking for a cisco IOS command that would allow me to send an ip burst from a cisco router to another cisco router and from there i could tell what was the limit or threshold. But maybe that is wishing too much from a cisco device. I probably would have to find some iperf servers near the edge of my isp to really test it. Anyway, thanks guys for all your suggestions.
    The only thing you can really burst on a cisco router is ICMP, and that's not something you want to rely on for your bandwidth tests, as the other end is probably throttling ICMP.

If you're not using anything to poll and graph your bandwidth trends, you should be, as it helps in a case like this. It's also fairly critical for capacity planning.

SDM does have a built in real time monitor for traffic, so you could try having a client burst a large file transfer and watch that while it's running.

No matter what though, a resolution is going to require contacting the ISP at some point or another. I'd honestly setup a workstation that runs Cacti or PRTG and watch your traffic trends over the course of a week or so, and see what you can do to saturate the link. Also make sure it's not a matter of the router hitting it's packets per second threshold. Also pay attention to latency. Do some packet sniffing if you have to.

Seriously though, trend your bandwidth, do all the diagnostics you can on your side, and if it just doesn't add up, contact the ISP with what you have and see what they're willing to do to work towards a resolution. If there were a quick and easy way to do this kind of thing, we'd all be obsolete :)
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    nuttcp is another host to host tool that is similar to iperf but has different options. It will not help in your quest for router to router testing, though.

Cisco's IPSLA does not do bandwidth testing, right?

You can get the latest version here:

http://www.lcp.nrl.navy.mil/nuttcp/
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    iperf, you configure a host as a server and then connect to it as a client.
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I like TTCP on router to router connections.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Any reason why you specifically want a router to router test? If this is an ISP connection then just download a big file through it and timing how long it takes will show you how fast it is. The bottleneck will be that link.

Doing direct to a router will also incur the process switching penalties as well.
  • bdwillbdwill Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sides14 wrote: »
    I like TTCP on router to router connections.

I second this. Its already on the routers and very easy to use.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    bdwill wrote: »

I'll third this on routers! I've also used PCATTCP for direct client to client.

TTCP Utility

Works a charm :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    bdwill wrote: »

Forgive my ignorance, but which routers has this already installed?

Nevermind

TTCP requires Cisco IOS® Software Version 11.2 or higher and Feature Sets IP Plus (is- images) or Service Provider (p- images).
    Note: The ttcp command is a hidden, unsupported, privileged mode command. As such, its availability may vary from one Cisco IOS software release to another, such that it might not exist in some releases. Some platforms, for instance, require the Cisco IOS Enterprise feature set in order to perform this activity.

Using Test TCP (TTCP) to Test Throughput [Asynchronous Connections] - Cisco Systems
  • jackyrjackyr Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you can test your bandwidth through IP Details.com : Internet Speed test ...