Options

Good Firewall training?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
the one thing that still makes me nervous is working with firewalls... does anyone know a good site or company that offers some good firewall training? doesnt have to be vendor specific.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    How much experience do you have? If your new to security and firewalls, then you might want to start with something like CompTIA's Security+ as that will give you a good foundation to learn from.

It also really depends what kind of firewall you will be working with, as they are all different. The manual for the firewall will always be your friend. A manual for a real firewall can be a couple inches thick.

A good rule of thumb is to initially block everything, and only open up ports you need. You'd rather err on the side of being too secure in the beginning.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    How much experience do you have? If your new to security and firewalls, then you might want to start with something like CompTIA's Security+ as that will give you a good foundation to learn from.

It also really depends what kind of firewall you will be working with, as they are all different. The manual for the firewall will always be your friend. A manual for a real firewall can be a couple inches thick.

A good rule of thumb is to initially block everything, and only open up ports you need. You'd rather err on the side of being too secure in the beginning.
    thanks for replying... i have a decent amt of windows admin experience (5-6 years) but ive never had to build a firewall from the ground up. i've done the basics, but its not somehting i feel i completely understand. my experience is with Sonicwall.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi dean,

if you want to learn to build a *basic* firewall - you could always use linux iptables. there are many tutorial on how to build one, from basic to advance on the internet.

this one - always being my favorite :
    Iptables Tutorial 1.2.2

the front-end (GUI console - web GUI) may different from one to another, but basically the concept is pretty much the same - except those advance firewall that uses virtual-router which a bit complicated.

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out the Firewalls for Dummies book. If you're a Windows guy, why not start with ISA? I'm going through the CBT Nuggets for it as we speak (literally), and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote: »
    Check out the Firewalls for Dummies book. If you're a Windows guy, why not start with ISA? I'm going through the CBT Nuggets for it as we speak (literally), and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Forget ISA....go for the ASA :D