linpus gui help

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
how do u start gui mode in linpus installed on acer aspire. I just need to start the GUI. tia.
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would imagine that it would be startx. A quick poke around the web it looks like it should be starting automatically so if startx is not getting you into a gui then I'd suspect something is wrong with your xorg.conf.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    It won't with startx. This a new acer laptop preinstalledn with Linpus. I've tried another unit but it still don't work. I've tried to install Ubuntu 5.10 anticipating easier installation of GUI based distro but it fails to load dvdrom drivers. I'm totally clueless and I want to learn some basics in Linux. Any free guide you can recommend? thanks.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    If the computer was suppose to have the Linpus (Fedora) OS pre-configured for a GUI shell, but it's not starting in one, then you may have a defect problem and the computer needs to be RMA'ed

What does the Acer documentation and Web site say?
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a similar issue with a cheap Acer laptop that my brother got as a gift "Cheap as in the box has only the laptop, charger, a CD with drivers and nothing else - The manual "one page" shows you how to open the laptop and hit the power button"

GUI just would not start.

Try using a live distro like Ubuntu 8.04 or 9.04 "You can get a free CD/DVD sent to you".

After several attempts I found an option in BIOS that you have to enable/disable to be able to format the laptop.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I recommend trying Ubuntu 8 over 9 for older or cheaper hardware. I had to downgrade back to 8 because of 9's compatibility problems it has with older video hardware and newer video drivers.