Options

Is MCSA/MCSE worth investing in now?

LTParisLTParis Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am finally getting in gear to get a couple certifications under my belt after 10 years of not investing any time into it. I am stuck in a little quandry. I have a library of MCSE materials in our tech library that would make studying for the MCSE more cost effective right now, but will the 2003 certs be even worth the time investing in now?

Is there any value of becoming MCSE + MCTIP:EA?

It seems if I did go that route this would be the best path to take:

70-620 = MCTS
70-290
70-291 = MCSA
70-293
70-294
70-297
Security+ = MCSE
70-647
70-649 = MCITP:EA

Comments

• Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    The MCSE -> MCITP:EA route is where I'm going. The way I see it, 2008 doesn't have as big a market share as 2003 does, so people still need MCSEs. Then, as more companies move to 2008, they will need people with experience in both to ease the transition, so having the MCSE + MCITP will be a big plus.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    A very interesting point. Are you taking the same testing path as I noted above or did you find a different path?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have any certs currently? Why did you list the MCSA after 291?

Given your experience, I'd do both. I'd be more hesitant to tell that to someone starting fresh since who knows what will be out by the time they finish. However, you should be able to get through that a lot quicker.
  • Options
    I only have certs from many moons ago. An A+ from 1998 and a MCP (one examp) from 1999. I had made an error in my path, I missed an exam that gets you to MCSA...

70-620 = MCTS
    70-290
    70-291
    70-284 = MCSA < I forgot an elective
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297
    Security+ = MCSE
    70-647

Question on MCSA + Messaging. It shows you need 290, 291, 284 and 270. Can you substitute 620 for the 270 for this path?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    MCSA: Messaging on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements

It shows the 620 in there as an alternative to the 270 so that would be fine. I would definitely recommend picking up the MCSE before MCITP: EA. My experience in job searching so far is that while there does seem to be a decent amount of 2008 deployments out there, virtually nobody has heard about the MCITP yet.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Very good points. Although it will cost more I think I will do at least a MCSA/Messaging > MCSE/Messaging > and MCIPT:EA. And I at least have the MS Press books for 290, 291, 293, 294 and a Test King on 284 so I can get to studying now.
  • Options
    LTParis wrote: »
    A very interesting point. Are you taking the same testing path as I noted above or did you find a different path?

I'm taking a similar path:

70-290
    Security+
    70-270
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    70-298
    70-299

Then the MCITP:EA upgrade exams

btw....Test King is a ****, don't use it
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    You dont actually need to take the 70-299 if you have youre security+ cert...
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am in a way taking the same route. MCSA->MCSE->MCITP-EA it will be better in the end I think to have both. Also like the other poster said stay away from TEST King they are **** and you will risk your certs being taken away by using that.
  • Options
    maumercado wrote: »
    You dont actually need to take the 70-299 if you have youre security+ cert...

It looks like he's doing the security specialization, which requires 298 and two security electives.
  • Options
    rterrasirterrasi Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started a thread on this a week ago; I am at the same crossroads. From the job searches I have done, nowadays employers want a combination of an MCSA/MCSE & CCNA-bare minimum. And yes, many HR departments have not even heard of the MCTS series of certs or the MCITP. Only when you mention MCSE does the light bulb go off!!

Having obtained the CCNA, I am also going to pursue the MCSA/MCSE track for 2003; starting with 290. Once I complete this, I will evaluate and see if either I will pursue the 2008 track, or go for one of the Cisco associate exams like Security. Or maybe even CCNP.

I have read alot of posts in which suggestions have been made to pursue certification to coincide with your current job duties, but I also think it would be wise to prepare for the future too. If 2008 is catching on after I complete my MCSE, then I will most likely pursue it.

Just my 2 cents!!! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rterrasi wrote: »
    And yes, many HR departments have not even heard of the MCTS series of certs or the MCITP. Only when you mention MCSE does the light bulb go off!!

On my resume, I was debating adding ( MCSE 2008 ) after my EA icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I am in a way taking the same route. MCSA->MCSE->MCITP-EA it will be better in the end I think to have both. Also like the other poster said stay away from TEST King they are **** and you will risk your certs being taken away by using that.

Very interesting and I was unaware of that. I think I might still have a book on that somewhere in our library I'll have to search for.

I know that for the MCITP side the MS Press books are highly recommended, and I have the MS Press 2003 MCSA/E books now. Are they recommended for the MCSA/E track or should I augment the books with anything?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    It looks like he's doing the security specialization, which requires 298 and two security electives.

Exactly icon_smile.gif
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    Very interesting and I was unaware of that. I think I might still have a book on that somewhere in our library I'll have to search for.

I know that for the MCITP side the MS Press books are highly recommended, and I have the MS Press 2003 MCSA/E books now. Are they recommended for the MCSA/E track or should I augment the books with anything?

I have the 70-290 MS Press book, and the CBT Nuggets for 290. Depending on your budget I would highly recommend Nuggets.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    On my resume, I was debating adding ( MCSE 2008 ) after my EA icon_lol.gif

That would be fun to see if anybody would actually call you back on that.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't want to thread jack but I have a question as well. I plan to obtain the CCNA, MCSA, and Sec+ this summer. After that I am trying to decide whether or not the MCSE would be the best route or should I start the path for the 2008 certs. Another option is to start working on the CCNA:S. Which would hold the most weight in the IT world, CCNA:S, MCSE, or MCITP:SA/EA? I am working a helpdesk role and I am looking into moving into Network Admin work.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCSE + MCITP: EA is pretty much must for a next few years and certainly not a waste.

The real question is can you complete that kind of workload in a reasonable amount of time. Personally I read a couple of books, and do at least 50 hours in the lab before I am willing to take on each cert. With that kind of math and my schedule that means I can, assuming I pass... do one exam per quarter.

I guess what I am saying is set reasonable timelines, not just ideal objectives.

If someone asked me would MCA, CCIE and RHCE be a good set of certs to get, I would say yes. But looking ahead, do you think it's reasonable for your workload and won't burn yourself out on the subject matter.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Well of course I would like to try to complete something in a short time frame. Right now I have some time in the day and a lot of time in the evening to do some book reading and such. I could probably reasonably get my MCTP and MCSA + Messaging in a couple months. I am starting to read up as much as I can on the 70-620 so I can brush up on things, get the "gotcha" questions down pat in my mind, and quickly turn around that test.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I currently have my MCSA: Security and plan on starting and getting my MCSE in the next year. The fact is that the MCSE catches peoples attention.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Also like the other poster said stay away from TEST King they are **** and you will risk your certs being taken away by using that.

Wow! Didn't know this could happen. Do you know of any examples of this going down?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    This is a good thread, because I have been thinking about this.

I was looking at the MCSA 2003 and also the Server 2008 too. I don't know how long with MCSA will be around, however I believe that since I have my Network+/A+, I would only have to take two exams for this Vs the three exams for Server 2008.

I haven't read all of the sticky yet in the threads for 2008 Vs MCSA 2003, how much has changed?

thanks
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    There really hasn't been that much that's changed. It's more like things have been added, expanded, and/or improved upon. You're going to still be covering a majority of the same material, which is one of the reasons I don't think it's a waste to start with 2003.
  • Options
    6 months and I have to resurrect this thread. Of course it was my intention to have a couple certs under my belt now, but thanks to being overloaded at work my certifications slipped in priority once again. And once again it looks like our contract looks to be nearing the end so I am back in scramble mode.

I was thinking of taking a slightly different path so I can crunch in the next 6 weeks a couple certs:

S+
    1Y0-A09 = Citrix XenServer 5 Cert
    70-620 = MCTS
    70-290
    70-291
    70-284 = MCSA+Messaging
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297 = MCSE
    70-647

If I am lucky I can knock out the first three in this time, maybe even the 70-290 test if we can stay focused. Has there been any changes in the past six months that is seeing the MCSE fall out of favor and maybe I should focus on the MCTIP instead?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was thinking of taking a slightly different path so I can crunch in the next 6 weeks a couple certs..
    If I am lucky I can knock out the first three in this time

3 certs in 6 weeks? Yikes.
  • Options
    Sec+ and Vista will be a breeze for anyone with experience. I'm not sure what's involved with the Xen Server though.

I'd go with MCSE if you're experienced and could knock them out relatively easy. If you're starting from scratch, the MCITP might be a better option. MCSE is still much more well-known.
  • Options
    If it isn't one thing it's another. Just when I was about to group study with a couple co-workers to knock out some tests, I get Diabetes. So I was out of comission for a couple weeks. In that time we learned we have at least another three months on our contract so that gives us more ample time to study!
  • Options
    RootstonianRootstonian Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started on the MSCA/E track a couple of months ago when it was mentioned to me by more than one person that if they were JUST starting out, they would not take that path (MSCA/E).

That even though 2003 was installed on tons of computers, it is, after all, 7 years old. And if you're qualified on Server 2008, then it's not going to be too much of a stretch to handle a Server 2003 box.

So, I'm going MCTS (70-640, 70-642, 70-643) and try to get an entry-level job. Let employer know I'm planning on MCITP System Admin or Enterprise Admin down the road. Seems like a good start to me.

Good Luck to you! :)
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I would highly recommend starting with the MCSE/MCSA and then work in the 2008 stuff from there. From everything I have read if you understand the core 2003 stuff, then the 2008 stuff just builds some on that info.

And MANY people still look at the MCSE as a required cert to have for hiring. Also, most of the people I've spoken with are still mostly 2003 and are in no hurry to get to 2008 for most of their systems. So 2003 will be around for awhile yet. Kinda like XP versus Vista and Windows 7.

Good luck.