Options

Studying for my CCNA

billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
Hello,

I am currently studying for my CCNA and would like to set up a hands on lab at home. I currently have been using the simulation software Dynamips to practice using the Cisco IOS and the functions within it. I have been checking out Ciscokits website and I seen a package for $549.99. This package on their website describes the following:

It comes with two 2500 routers and one 2610 router. The 2500s will be maxed out on memory at 16/16 and the 2610 will be maxed out at 64/16 so you can support IPv6 for the new exam. The 2501 router comes with a transceiver as will the 2514 which can also be used for Cable/DSL routing and your NAT/PAT labs. Then we add in a 2610 so you get exposure to a modular router in the 2600 series and the nm-4a/s serial card so you can also use the router as a frame-relay router. Our kits have console kits, serial cards, back to back cables and the latest IOS software. You will also receive three 2924 or 2924M switches which supports 12.0.05.

Do you think this is sufficient for the CCNA or too much? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I wouldn't buy this kit. You can do better on Ebay buying bits and pieces. You'll want one router that can support SDM. If you're going to get a 2600 series router make sure it's an XM model.

2924 switches are about useless, you could use a 2924-XL-EN as a cheap third switch. You want 2950's.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Anyone with experience, what equipment would you recommend. Which series routers and which series of switches. I see that the captobvious' previous post recommended 2950 switches. What about routers?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Check out the FAQ or some of the other lab posts and you should have the majority of your questions answered.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So what would be the total cost of a decent (justenough to pass) lab bought from Ebay?
  • Options
    I'm assuming based on reading the other posts and past posts, that some individuals may squeeze by on purchasing 2 2500 series routers and one to two 2950 switches. So, after reading a few posts each seemed to be about $100 or so maybe a little more or a little less, depending on how "lucky" you get on ebay, I would assume about $400-$500 would be a good price to spend to get you set up. Is this a decent guess?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So what would be the total cost of a decent (justenough to pass) lab bought from Ebay?

I guess the real question would be what good is "just enough to pass" knowledge?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone should go into anything with a "just to pass" attitude as far as knowledge. The more knowledge you have about a specific field or trait, the better off you are.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm assuming based on reading the other posts and past posts, that some individuals may squeeze by on purchasing 2 2500 series routers and one to two 2950 switches. So, after reading a few posts each seemed to be about $100 or so maybe a little more or a little less, depending on how "lucky" you get on ebay, I would assume about $400-$500 would be a good price to spend to get you set up. Is this a decent guess?

You're a little bit off, but you have the right idea. For the CCNA, 2950 switches are perfectly fine, they can be had for $50 - $100 apiece on eBay. As for routers, don't waste a penny on old 2500-series devices, or even on the 2600-series. You'll want to look into getting some 2600XL routers, some of which can be had for as little as $100 each, but usually run $150 - $200. I can also recommend 1721 routers, which can be upgraded to run version 12.4 of the IOS, which is the version you're going to want. These little guys are super-cheap, ($25 - $50 a pop, plus about the same for a RAM upgrade to 128MB,) and they'll even carry you through the CCNP. (Keep in mind, they won't run version 12.4T of the IOS, which is what's needed for the big, bad CCIE lab, but that's probably a ways off for you.)

My advice: start with one or two 2950 switches, use Dynamips - or GSN3 if you want something graphical - to simulate routers until you can purchase two (or more) 1721s or 2600XLs to play with. If you play your cards right, you'll be spending $300 - $450, in total.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I can also recommend 1721 routers, which can be upgraded to run version 12.4 of the IOS, which is the version you're going to want. These little guys are super-cheap, ($25 - $50 a pop, plus about the same for a RAM upgrade to 128MB,) and they'll even carry you through the CCNP. (Keep in mind, they won't run version 12.4T of the IOS, which is what's needed for the big, bad CCIE lab, but that's probably a ways off for you.)

I'll second that, 1721s are excellent for all levels of Cisco certification. They actually do run 12.4T provided you have enough RAM. Wendell Odom (who's written a lot of CCNA books) has some pretty good articles about choosing equipment for a home lab: Spring 2009 CCNA/CCNP Lab Series Index Page | NetworkWorld.com Community.

If you're on a real tight budget, do what Slowhand suggested and use 2950s and Dynamips/GNS3.
  • Options
    Ok, great. I have been using dynamips to simulate and practice already. I will check into your recommendations. I greatly appreciate it :) The CCIE is definitely a ways off. I definitely am planning to work toward the CCNP once I get passed the CCNA. $300 - $450 isn't bad. I'm willing to spend that because it's to further my hands on experience.
  • Options
    Would the 2600XM routers be sufficient? I didn't see any 2600XL on ebay.
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    2x 2600XM (e.g. 2611XM) routers
    2x 2950G, T, or C switches
    2x WIC-1T cards (if the routers don't already have these cards)

Should be able to get that all in under $500 based on what im looking at on eBay
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Would the 2600XM routers be sufficient? I didn't see any 2600XL on ebay.
    He meant 2600XM.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    He meant 2600XM.
    Yup, I meant 2600XM routers, just a typo.

• Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I'll second that, 1721s are excellent for all levels of Cisco certification. They actually do run 12.4T provided you have enough RAM. Wendell Odom (who's written a lot of CCNA books) has some pretty good articles about choosing equipment for a home lab: Spring 2009 CCNA/CCNP Lab Series Index Page | NetworkWorld.com Community.

If you're on a real tight budget, do what Slowhand suggested and use 2950s and Dynamips/GNS3.
    The 1721s will run several varieties of the 12.4T IOS, but not Advanced Enterprise Services, which is required for the CCIE lab as of October of this year.