Options

Needing help for my Lab...

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
Hello everyone. I'm in a very hard situation and need to decide really fast I'm having 2 kind of switches, for building my Lab, wich I don't honestly know wich one to really choose.... One of them is 3548-XL-EN with 16MB memory, the other is 2950G-48-EI. Both switches are offered to me with the same price wich making the situation even harder. If u were in my shoes, what will u choose to buy and why? Please, I need the answer really fast or I'm gonna lose the offer...Thx In Advance.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2950G-48-EI hands down -- no doubt about it.

The 3548 is an old old old 3500XL series switch -- nice for the home if you don't need or want layer 3 switching
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks a lot mike, this is short and clear. What's the maximum amount should be paid for such a device?
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    cerberos wrote: »
    Thanks a lot mike, this is short and clear. What's the maximum amount should be paid for such a device?

I paid about $70 a piece for a couple of them a few weeks back.
  • Options
    It's offered to me same almost same price as u mentioned JMC, I just wonder if it supports Layer3 Switching out of the box. I wish i can get 3 of it, I heared that it would fit CCNA CCNP, might CCIE? For sure not the whole features u would want to avhieve those certifications, but buying it u would never regret! I wanna ask too about the 2620XM with 128MB Memory and 32MB Flash with 2 Wic Cards, offered to me with only 100 Bucks, good deal isn't it? u would run SDM I believe and 12.4 IOS smoothly. If anybody is offered the 2620XM and the 1721, wich one should be the best to get?
  • Options
    Hey Mike, how many decades have u been studying to get those things down ur name? I only have 3 certifications and I think I'm awesome icon_tongue.gif, also how did u electrocute ur cat? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    It's offered to me same almost same price as u mentioned JMC, I just wonder if it supports Layer3 Switching out of the box. I wish i can get 3 of it, I heared that it would fit CCNA CCNP, might CCIE? For sure not the whole features u would want to avhieve those certifications, but buying it u would never regret! I wanna ask too about the 2620XM with 128MB Memory and 32MB Flash with 2 Wic Cards, offered to me with only 100 Bucks, good deal isn't it? u would run SDM I believe and 12.4 IOS smoothly. If anybody is offered the 2620XM and the 1721, wich one should be the best to get?

You will need a 3550 or 3560 model for layer 3 switching.
    Expect to pay at least $200 for a 3550 and considerably more for a 3560.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Thanks Miller, this is clear but maybe I'll delay the 3550 until it gets cheapper or something, but onething is making me uncomfortable about bidding due to the fact that i don't understand it in full, I'm afraid, and hate, that the person offering his items for bidding might be in a hardship that's why he is opening the gate for bidding? I hate to push on someone toes only because he is needing money while knowing that the item is costing and deserving more, someone pls explain this to me so I won't feell guilty.

Once on Ebay, I saw a very good lab for a guy that he was studying, as me and all of us, and world got cruel on him, he was offering his lab too cheap, really cheap, while giving some hint about the drop that happened in his life that made him to sell his lab pricelessly and discontinues his education. Of course I wouldn't to take the dirty chance and kill the guy in his Lab even if he gave it for free, I wish that i was having the money to help this guy to stand on his feet again and complete his education and his dreams, I put myself and all of us in his shoes... who knows, maybe he was needing the money helping his mother or bro to pay for their medecine.

Again guys pls, If anybody is offered the 2620XM and the 1721, wich one should be the best to get?
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Wow I feel like I got ripped off. I got a 851 model for like 300$ and i cant do certain things like create more than 1 VLAN or use port security (silly me didnt realize when i first started studying for my CCENT -- i thought all IOS are the same).
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    hmmm, indeed that's a big sum, I believe that u wouldn't to pay more than 150, 170$ on this item, but wat made u to go for the 851?
  • Options
    If it's only about VPN u could run after the 1721 too, which I believe is cheaper.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Hello everyone. I'm in a very hard situation and need to decide really fast I'm having 2 kind of switches, for building my Lab, wich I don't honestly know wich one to really choose.... One of them is 3548-XL-EN with 16MB memory, the other is 2950G-48-EI. Both switches are offered to me with the same price wich making the situation even harder. If u were in my shoes, what will u choose to buy and why? Please, I need the answer really fast or I'm gonna lose the offer...Thx In Advance.

cerberos,

What study materials do you have so far?
  • Options
    hmmm, indeed that's a big sum, I believe that u wouldn't to pay more than 150, 170$ on this item, but wat made u to go for the 851?

I bought a 851w to replace my old linksys wireless router, although I do like it the money could have been better spent on other equipment, like an L3 switch. It does make a nice little home router that can be used to practice SDM and IOS commands though and it doesn't have a noisy fan running all the time.
  • Options
    tech-airman, I got the Sybex, and the Cisco Press book for Wendell Odom, Packet Tracer.... just done with CCENT and didn't start yet with ICND2.

jmc012, if I were u, I would add another 100$ and get 1721, 128MB Memory 32MB flash and would do well with the 12.4 IOS and SDM, VPN, or I would go for the 2620XM 128MB Memory 32MB flash, both range from 100$ to 150$, and with the rest of the sum i would get the 3550 for layer3 switching, jsut asked today and good ppl enlighted me that it range from 200$ and up, this can give a room also for the 2950.

Onething I'm sure that most ppl fly into a rage because of Cisco, why Cisco is too expensive? As u might know, Cisco is a Software Solution Company and not a hardware one, but I'm not going to talk about their software, but the hardware only...

Why making a stick of ram cost this and that of dollars? Hardware's prices got to the ground as everybody knows, u can get a DDR2 or DDR3 1GB for 30$ and up, depends on the brand, and here u r paying 50 and 80$ for 64MB and 128MB for just making ur router up and running. A lot of Technicians here that might argue with me. The Silicon and Transistors Fabric are now affordable and too cheap, u might tell me about the Memory type, which switches and routers need to forward and filters packets and frames so fast, and I agree! This is wat we call CAM Memory, Content Addressable Memory, which is still cheap! now Cisco's memory products, I can say, is equivalent in price to Processor's cache, just y! fans r too expensive, cable too expensive, everything is expensive.... In the end I'm a Cisco fan and would like some mercy esp about those engineers that they will administer their products, without them there is no Cisco!
  • Options
    tech-airman, I got the Sybex, and the Cisco Press book for Wendell Odom, Packet Tracer.... just done with CCENT and didn't start yet with ICND2.

jmc012, if I were u, I would add another 100$ and get 1721, 128MB Memory 32MB flash and would do well with the 12.4 IOS and SDM, VPN, or I would go for the 2620XM 128MB Memory 32MB flash, both range from 100$ to 150$, and with the rest of the sum i would get the 3550 for layer3 switching, jsut asked today and good ppl enlighted me that it range from 200$ and up, this can give a room also for the 2950.

Onething I'm sure that most ppl fly into a rage because of Cisco, why Cisco is too expensive? As u might know, Cisco is a Software Solution Company and not a hardware one, but I'm not going to talk about their software, but the hardware only...
    !

I think I am good on routers for now. I do have a 2651xm along with various other 2600 models, also a 2511RJ for remote access and a 2520 for Frame Relay. Right now what I am looking for is an L3 switch, I haven't seen too many good deals yet on them. Looks like $250 is about the cheapest I've seen so far. I really don't need one just yet so I am going to keep looking for awhile.

Actually I think the old Cisco gear is huge bargain, companys pay the big bucks for the equipment and then a few years later they upgrade and we get to buy the old equipment for garage sale prices. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    You are good to go my friend, u have got most of the gears u need for now, u only need to add a couple of 2950 to paly with. Same here, I'm going to delay the L3 switch due to it's high price and I won't need it untill the CCNP, goodluck on ur study and let us know how it goes with ya.