Options

Compact lab for CCENT

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am new to Cisco but starting self study for CCENT then CCNA.

I want to use the actual hardware, not a sim, but am a bit constrained by space at my house.

I was hoping to make quite a compact stack of gear. I was thinking of having 2 2501 routers, a switch, and an old laptop all stacked in a corner somewhere out of the way. Then i can just run an ethernet to my laptop and work from there.

Does this sound feasible?
I presume the second old laptop is needed? i can get an old one from work probably.
How do others manage with space restrictions?

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    steve_f wrote: »
    ...I want to use the actual hardware, not a sim, but am a bit constrained by space at my house.

I was hoping to make quite a compact stack of gear. I was thinking of having 2 2501 routers, a switch, and an old laptop all stacked in a corner somewhere out of the way. Then i can just run an ethernet to my laptop and work from there.

. . .I presume the second old laptop is needed? How do others manage with space restrictions?

For CCENT that sounds like an adequate setup. The old laptop would not be a bad idea, but would probably be more useful on CCNA/ICND2 (for ACLs/routing test purposes).

I have a small stack of actual hardware routers I'm using for ICND2, but I'm finding I'm using simulators far more at the moment as they save space and time.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The ICND1 exam blueprint has a couple of topics listed that mention SDM.

There is a link in the CCNA FAQ to an SDM document with a table of supported routers. The 1721 router is probably the cheapest router that supports SDM (unless you luck out bidding on eBay and score a sweet deal on a 2600XM).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The ICND1 exam blueprint has a couple of topics listed that mention SDM.

There is a link in the CCNA FAQ to an SDM document with a table of supported routers. The 1721 router is probably the cheapest router that supports SDM (unless you luck out bidding on eBay and score a sweet deal on a 2600XM).

I can agree that those routers would be useful, but here's my two cents on the objectives--

I've been working through CCNA studies since February of this year (actually, before that, but that's a different story). I've read through Lammle, Bryant and other materials as well as passed the CCENT. I can say the only real experience with SDM I've had so far is in reading the Lammle text. Your mileage may vary.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers