Options

Time to replace my desktop.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Finally switching from Core2 technology to i7. The ideal goal here is to be able to replace my workstation and eliminate one of my VM boxes and the file server I use for all of my raw HD video and photo's while offsetting the cost of this by stripping down the VM box and fileserver to a typical desktop config and selling them to co-workers who have been pestering me for a computer.

Should be able to overclock this nicely and have enough life for a couple years again. Swapping the GTX 260, PSU, drives, and case from my existing rig to this one. Once I move my old parts, I think I'm going to order a couple 147GB 15k RPM SAS drives - that should speed things up fairly nice :D

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - SANS DIGITAL TR8M-B 8 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) JBOD Enclosure - Server RAID Systems

I wasn't planning on the SATA enclosure at first, but Newegg had a pretty slick $80 off promotion so I figured what the heck. Second fan is for the cpu cooler for a push/pull configuration. When it's not being used for training on a bunch of VM's it might see a little bit of gaming but otherwise some HD video editing or Photoshop. Thoughts? I have until tomorrow mid morning to make changes, all of my research shows it should be a fairly solid setup with good OC ability but I haven't followed the i7 very much and only began my research pretty hard the past couple of days.

Comments