Options

Calling all CCVP gurus help the newby plz

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey CCVP gurus
okay I am trying to put this all together. I am just asking some questions.
Okay ready please be patient but I just want to mesh minds with you guys. MY questions might seem basic and possibly really stupid but please could you just answer them thanks okay here goes.

Okay, I am building my home CCVP lab. I am going to buy 3 1760 cisco routers. But I am confused on what interfaces to get and what modules to get. okay here are the three possible interface connections that I think I could use voip. It will be a hub spoke topology and I am trying to create a WAN setup not a LAN.

T1 csu/dsu type (which I would prefer)
Router1 (hub)
- T1 csu/dsu TO Router 2 with a T1 csu/dsu
- T1 csu/dsu TO Router 3 with a T1 csu/dsu
- T1 csu/dsu TO Router 4 with a T1 csu/dsu

(this is similar to T1 right?)
Serial DTE/DCE
- Serial TO Router 2 with a Serial
- Serial TO Router 3 with a Serial
- Serial TO Router 4 with a Serial

Cat 5 (ethernet)
- Cat 5 TO Router 2 with a CAT 5
- Cat 5 TO Router 3 with a Cat 5
- Cat 5 TO Router 4 with a Cat 5

VWIC
- VWIC card TO Router 2 with a VWIC card
- VWIC card TO Router 3 with a VWIC card
- VWIC card TO Router 4 with a VWIC card

And then you throw a PVDM in there. I a somewhat familar with some of these but I want to put it all together. what goes with what. then you have Qos in there some where. And I am going to take some classes but I just want to have a handle on these basic things. can anyone help me put together for me. Like for exampls PVDMs go with the type of interface? all the routers need PVDMs??? and all routers need VWICs??? can anyone point to a good referenc or explain what goes with what? thanks a lot
i appreciate any help to understand what goes with what. oh yeah I dont need to understand FXO type stuff (old pots stuff) I want to piece IP telephony together only)
Thanks
icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you read the CCVP FAQ?
    The Multisite Deployment Model with Centralized Call Processing is what you would probably build for a home CCVP lab....... but you might start with the Single-Site Deployment Model first and use one of your 1760s to act as your PSTN cloud ( http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/43569-pstn-cloud-telco-simulator.html ).

You'll want to learn both analog and digital interfaces.... so some of the hardware docs in the FAQ should give you some ideas.

For your WAN connection, you can just use the cheaper WIC-1T. The Digital Interfaces for Voice (and data) are the VWIC-1MFT-T1 or VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    MikeJ
    so what you are saying is I can use the wic-T1s for the WAN intefaces from hub to each gateway right and then on the gateway ends have wic-T1s right? what about pvdms do I need one in each router all 4 ofthem including the PSTN??? or do the PVDMS go with the Vwics??
    then a wic-t1 to the PSTN?

thank you
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At some point you're going to want to send your VoIP traffic across your data network -- and a WAN connection is a prime candidate for some good Call Admission Control training and some QoS. And the WIC-1T is a good cheap option for that. If you want to go with the more expensive WAN option, that's your choice.

You'll have your digital voice and analog voice cards to bring in "phone lines" -- the VWIC-1MFT-T1... etc, and the VIC-2FXO from your PSTN Cloud. You'll need the interfaces in your PSTN Cloud to support those. If you hook up your VIC-2FXO to your real home phone line, then you have a problem when you make 911 calls in your lab.

You'll have VIC-2FXS for your fax machines and old analog phone.....

You'll need PVDM's for the VIC cards to be recognized and work in the 1760s. The NM-1V and NM-2V have the DSPs built into the NM.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hey mike thanks for the detailed explain. i see what you mean..very cool stuff. thanks so much foryour expertise..and your time I really do appreciate your expert advise! thank youicon_thumright.gif

robert;)