Options

Intro to A+

Mr.Business2010Mr.Business2010 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am considering pursuing my A+ certification, I want to know which is better formal training ( which cost upwards of 11,000) or self studies? also, what is considered the best resource material books (I have Mike Meyers A+ all in one exam guide 5th edition) and online that I can use to pass the exams?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I am considering pursuing my A+ certification, I want to know which is better formal training ( which cost upwards of 11,000) or self studies? also, what is considered the best resource material books (I have Mike Meyers A+ all in one exam guide 5th edition) and online that I can use to pass the exams?

For 11K, go get a college degree. Many community colleges offer classes that will look more favorable then some dumpy tech school.

The other way to think of it...you can purchase a TON of books and Video training for that amount of money.

Frankly, it is the A+. If you don't have experience, get some. Read Meyers, Sybex, the objectives and whitepapers and such...this should be plenty for someone who understands hardware.

The people I know who have gone through 'tech-like' schools do not come knowing much more then before they entered. They are out 25K and still haven't passed their certification exams.

If you are asking what "I'd" do...I'd go the self-study route. You can buy some books, fail your exams and still have 10K in your pocket if you need video training too.

A+ is straight foward and one of the first certifications people who will be working with hardware generally will take. i.e. it is not very hard to pass it ;)

Save the school type training for real degrees that the industry recognizes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I say definitely go the self-study route. There's little that you can't teach yourself with the proper tools. I've been able to do my certs at my own pace on my own for WAY less money than through a training program. That being said...if you've got the cash and need a more structured environment to learn, then maybe it's better for you to go get the formal training somewhere. But I'd look into community colleges first - you can save a lot of money and they often have very flexible schedules to cater to working adults.

As for the best book - that answer will vary depending on who you ask. Many many people love Mike Myers's stuff, but it's just not my cup of tea. I say get thee to a big bookstore & grab a cup of coffee/tea/whatever your beverage of choice is and go get comfy in the tech aisle(s)...take one of each A+ book and start sifting through them to see which ones strike your fancy. You can also check reviews on Amazon to get an idea of what other folks thought of different books.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion