Options

Passed 70-238, EMA Complete

238 is the best exam in the Exchange 2007 MCITP series, IMO. It's challenging (unlike 237) without being nit-picky (like 236). Very little Powershell - certainly no problems that could be resolved IRL with tabbed completion of the command or the get-help cmdlet - which is a major complaint I had about 236. You do have to know your stuff though, and the questions don't do you any favors. They were longer and more involved, and they also require you take multiple factors into account when determining the correct answer. There were a few that had options that seemed designed to make you second-guess yourself, but I was sure my answers were right and I stuck to them. Other questions would have been better answered with a 'None of the Above' option when asked which option was the best - but that's just my opinion, what do I know? I was surprised by the number of MIIS/IIFP/GalSync/Free-Busy/Availability/IORepl type questions I had. Fortunately (or unfortunately) that is part of the implementation I am wrapping up so I have some experience with all those technologies.

Final score was 828 which is close to my goal of 850. 100% in the High Availability section, strong in Upgrades/Migrations and Topology, weaker in Security/Compliance and Maintenance.

Meh, it's over. I used to get more excited when I achieved a major cert milestone, but the two MCITPs haven't been as personally fullfilling as the MCSEs were before. Maybe after 20 Microsoft exams I shouldn't expect to feel as excited as I did 10 years ago after I passed my first. There were some positives to celebrate, though.
  1. MS Exam Pass # 20. The Win7 Beta was actually exam #20, but the results haven't been announced yet so 238 is pass #20. After 20 exams I feel like I should get some kind of frequent-tester reward. Perhaps a lapel pin instead of a digital wallet card.
  2. 2 of 3 Certification goals for 2009 are complete - MCITP EA and EMA. Now I just need to pass BCMSN to renew my CCNA.
  3. I met my personal goal of completing the EMA before my current 2007 deployment project ends, but only by a few days. With experience and the cert it should be easier for my unit to sell more Exchange work.
Next up, 70-624 - hopefully before the second shot expires at the end of the month. It's to satisfy a work requirement and not just a personal quest to collect all the MCITP:EA client requirements. After that, BCMSN to renew my CCNA and then perhaps VCP if I can get the class approved.

Ultimately, I think I would like to go for an Exchange master rotation. There is still so much more to see and do with Exchange - I feel like I've just gotten started.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm only at 14 icon_sad.gif

I do have 7 more in the pipeline though :D

The EMA definitely seems like the tip of the iceberg. You've got great Exchange skills, but the EMA seems like too big of a title for me icon_eek.gif

Anyway, I'm once again not at all surprised, but congrats all the same icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    great job claymoore icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!

Hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps later this year when I'm allowed to focus on Exchange again.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, EMA seems a bit over my head. I did purchase the books though. Dirt cheap, $20 for both brand new. Grats!
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Cogratulations!
    There was config-specific questions on MIIS/IIFP or they just requested your knowledge on when or why use them?
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • Options
    tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on the pass, 238 looks to be a tough exam from the first couple of CBT Nuggets I've had a look at. I've got 237 tomorrow and if the measure up exams are anyhtig to go by then it shouldn't be too bad.

I can see Dynamic's point as well. I've never had to work with exchange in the scale that these exams sometimes go into. Max i've been on is 700 users with 3 exchange servers across 2 sites. EMA seems a big title for what I've got experience on.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    rjbarlow wrote: »
    Cogratulations!
    There was config-specific questions on MIIS/IIFP or they just requested your knowledge on when or why use them?

More 'when or why' than configuration. Make sure you know what combinations of messaging systems and clients would require you to use which product or combination of settings to achieve the stated goals. I know some of this was in the 238 MSTK, but I skimmed over it because of my experience on my current project.
    tenrou wrote:
    Congrats on the pass, 238 looks to be a tough exam from the first couple of CBT Nuggets I've had a look at. I've got 237 tomorrow and if the measure up exams are anyhtig to go by then it shouldn't be too bad.

I can see Dynamic's point as well. I've never had to work with exchange in the scale that these exams sometimes go into. Max i've been on is 700 users with 3 exchange servers across 2 sites. EMA seems a big title for what I've got experience on.

Good luck on 237! It's the easiest exam in the series, although that doesn't mean it's easy. What's strange is that I did worse on the MeasureUp exam for 237 than I did on the actual exam. The night before I took 238, I scored a 94% on my first and only practice exam. The real 238 test was a little more challenging, though.