Options

Problem configuring PXE on cisco 2600

mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with a problem i have configuring a cisco 2600 router to forward pxe requests.

I have a windows server 2003 pc with windows deployment services installed, and up until recently, i used the server to deal with dhcp requests, and client pc's would boot to the network fine. I have now transferred this role to a cisco 2600 router with dhcp configured.

My ip's are as follows:
server: 192.168.0.205
cisco 2600: 192.168.0.60

My dhcp is configured like this:

!
ip dhcp pool local-lan
network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
next-server 192.168.0.205
domain-name contoso.msft
dns-server 192.168.0.205 192.168.0.1
default-router 192.168.0.1
option 60 ip 192.168.0.205
lease 7
!

I also have an ip helper configured on fastethernet0/0:
ip helper-address 192.168.0.205

When i attempt to pxe boot my client pc's, i now get:

PXE-T01: File Not Found
PXE-E3B: T.F.T.P Error - File Not Found

Is there something i am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, my ios version is flash:c2600-is-mz.122-2.XB5.bin, i am not sure that this is correct either...

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    I have now transferred this role to a cisco 2600 router with dhcp configured.
    Why????

Is it still getting it's boot image from that 2003 server? Or are you hosting it on the 2600 router?

Have you configured the ip boot server command? You may need that if you are getting a DHCP proxy error.....

It's probably just easiest to toss in WireShark and sniff some packets and see what's happening (or not happening) based on whay you what this to do...
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike - thanks for the reply.

to answer your question as to why..... just for learnings sake! i have 2 wireless routers, both normal netgear things that i cant do anything with. I'm studying Microsoft at the moment, but cant wait to get it out of the way so i can start to learn cisco stuff - I have transferred the dhcp role to the cisco router purely as an excuse to get it out again and start using it :D. I cant think of anything else i need to do with it so far!

As for the boot image.... this is stored on the server - i was not aware i could store it on the router... if this could be done it may well help, could you tell me how to do this?

The ip boot server command - nope! this is not done also! i will research this. This may be an interesting one, as i installed ms network monitor and discovered that something was trying to talk to the router on port 4011.

I have just noticed your list of cisco certs - one day, one day :)