Options

Which programming Language Is In The Most Demand?

lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
HI

i work in infractructure of network Cisco and Windows server. i would like learn some new in programming (i dont know any about programming) where to start, (Easy Please) and Which programming Language Is In The Most Demand for the future?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    If you don't know anything about programming, and you administrate Windows servers, then I would say that learning PowerShell scripting would be the most useful introduction to programming for you. PowerShell is the centralized management tool for all modern Windows server products, and learning how to write your own complex scripts will make you a better admin and give you a good feeling for the "thrill of victory" and "agony of defeat" that is associated with writing software.

Scripting with Windows PowerShell

The Script Center Script Repository: Sample Windows PowerShell Scripts

If scripting is not to your taste, or you are more interested in this Object-Oriented stuff you've been reading about, then either Java or C# are excellent and popular languages to choose. You probably have more than one local college and university (or adult education or extension program) that teaches fundamental programming using either of these languages. I do not recommend beginning programmers try to learn programming themselves, unless they are around other programmers who are willing to be patient with helping you. Taking a class or two will give you a better chance for success.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with JDMurray, but hey! PowerShell is Object Oriented and is able to access .Net objects!
  • Options
    I agree with JDMurray, but hey! PowerShell is Object Oriented and is able to access .Net objects!
    Does PowerShell's scripting language really support classes with true polymorphism, inheritance, and encapsulation? Just because PowerShell cmdlets are .NET classes doesn't make PowerShell's scripting language Object-Oriented. I see nothing about OO Design in the MSDN Windows PowerShell Blog. If it's OO you be wanting (matey) then it's C# or Java for you! (R)
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Does PowerShell's scripting language really support classes with true polymorphism, inheritance, and encapsulation? Just because PowerShell cmdlets are .NET classes doesn't make PowerShell's scripting language Object-Oriented. I see nothing about OO Design in the MSDN Windows PowerShell Blog. If it's OO you be wanting (matey) then it's C# or Java for you! (R)
    <R> Ye be right about design and polymorphism... But I do not know of any way to describe syntax like this:
    $fw = new-object -com HNetCfg.FwMgr
    $profile = $fw.LocalPolicy.CurrentProfile
    $profile.GloballyOpenPorts | ft name, port

other than object oriented. Perhaps Object-Oriented Scripting, rather than Object-Oriented Programming?
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'd also recommend Python/Perl and tcl for the cisco end...you can do some crazy stuff for network management with them.
  • Options
    Perhaps Object-Oriented Scripting, rather than Object-Oriented Programming?
    There's more to "Object-Oriented" than just using program constructs called "objects." To paraphrase Engineer Scott from Star Trek: "If your grandmother had wheels, would she be a wagon?"
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can we just call it an object-oriented scripting language and remain friends?
  • Options
    taco_thundertaco_thunder Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just by searching Careerbuilder and Monster for jobs, Java seems to be in high demand and pays well. C++ follows close but Java, from what it seems, will be taking over eventually. Only problem is getting the initial experience to get said job. I'm looking into studying Java on the side and within a few years obtain a degree. The jobs I've seen usually require 5-8 years experience with 60-80k/year avg salary. I haven't paid much attention to other languages, though.
    • Configuring Window Vista Client - 815/900
    • A+ - In Progress
    • Network+ - In Progress
    • Security+ - In Progress
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Can we just call it an object-oriented scripting language and remain friends?

No, I won't accept it.... icon_wink.gif JDMurray makes a valid point. Polymorphism is an important aspect to OOP.

Is there a term that better describes languages like PowerShell? Object Consumer Language? That's just ugly.
  • Options
    Is there a term that better describes languages like PowerShell? Object Consumer Language? That's just ugly.
    The real problem is that "object" is a very overloaded term. It really refers to an abstraction of code and data operating as a coordinated unit with well-defined behaviors and capabilities (i.e., polymorphism, inheritance, encapsulation, interfaces, etc.). However, DLLs, .NET assemblies, and COM components have all come to be called "objects" too. This means that even purely procedural languages, such as JavaScript and C, can access "objects," but not in an object-oriented way.

And PowerShell is a specialized command shell that implements its own scripting language--nothing more.
  • Options
    Thanks, JDMurray. I appreciate the correction. I love it when people make me think.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    There are lots of debating in the programming forums
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While going through my new PoSh book, I saw them refer to it as an "object-based scripting language," and I thought of this thread. Is that a good compromise? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Objects are dynamic and can contain both code and data. Using this description, any running process with an interface can be considered an object. Therefore, any scripting language can be considered object-based, yet still not object-oriented.

This really shows how both abstract and overloaded the computer science term "object" has become.
  • Options
    ServerProvidesServerProvides Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Objects are dynamic and can contain both code and data. Using this description, any running process with an interface can be considered an object. Therefore, any scripting language can be considered object-based, yet still not object-oriented.

This really shows how both abstract and overloaded the computer science term "object" has become.

JDMurray for prez!!!

I completely agree with you. Until you've really gotten down into the cuts of how computer languages are created you really don't understand this concept.
    Currently Pursuing...

BS in Computer Science