Options

MBA in Information Technology - Help Needed ???

PeacePromoterPeacePromoter Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I will be 26 years old in 2 months. I have just completed my MBA degree in IT and Human Resource (Dual Specialization). Leaving this, i don't have any formal education in IT. Regarding experience, i have been a technical person since the last 9 years. I was also a power seller(of Video Games) on eBay for 5+ Years.

Although i did MBA but i am an introvert person. I don't like meeting unknown people and hence i am not going into marketing of IT products and services (Marketing is the only option you have if you don't have graduation in IT). My Graduate degree was in Mass Communication. Above all, i am a deeply religious person and do not lie or **** (i am not bragging but genuinely telling you my restrictions) and hence i know i can't go into marketing or sales because it involves lying or cheating.

Anyway, my question is that is it too late to start my career in IT. I know i can never go into programming because i just don't like programming because of maths involved in it. I am also very weak in Maths.

I intend to opt for the path of Network/System Admin, moving to Project Manager.

Please guide me and help me. I am very desperate, broke and deeply troubled. icon_cry.gif My age is running and my relatives of my age are already earning getting good salaries in different profiles. I am from a well-off family and do not have financial burden but my parents want me to marry in 2010. I don't want to do that before being self-sufficient.

I have decided to give A+ exam in 3 weeks from Now. I will be start preparing from today.

Thanks in Advance.
:roll: 2009 Targets

A+, N+, CCENT, CCNA, MCP, MCDST, MCSE

WIP

N+

: - ) Achieved (-:

A+

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you mean when you say you've been a technical person the last nine years?

Being an eBay Power Seller isn't going to count for much.

Join Toastmasters and build confidence, leadership, and public speaking skills. Those are absolutely necessary for an MBA (and very beneficial for pretty much any position). I've been in for a couple of months now. It was rough getting started, but I love it now.

You can do marketing and sales without lying or cheating.

It's never too late. You're going to have to start at the bottom and work you way up though. Why are you looking and going into the IT trenches when you are so highly educated? You're probably not going to be making what you consider good money for 3-5 years.

I'm also 26; it's really not that old ;)

Don't compare yourself to your relatives. There is more to life than money. Do what makes you happy because anything else will make you miserable.

Get married when you're ready. Why are you letting your parents dictate that?

Good luck with your A+.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    .... and hence i know i can't go into marketing or sales because it involves lying or cheating.

What a bunch of hooey icon_scratch.gif

And in all fairness:
    I wouldn't brag of that MBA you hold with statements like this:
    Although i did MBA but i am an introvert person. I don't like meeting unknown people and hence i am not going into marketing of IT products and services (Marketing is the only option you have if you don't have graduation in IT). My Graduate degree was in Mass Communication.

i am a deeply religious person and do not lie or ****
    Not relevant.

There are plenty of 'religious' folks who do and plenty of non-religious folks who don't.
    Please guide me and help me. I am very desperate, broke and deeply troubled. My age is running and my relatives of my age are already earning getting good salaries in different profiles. I am from a well-off family and do not have financial burden but my parents want me to marry in 2010. I don't want to do that before being self-sufficient

If you are living your life to please someone else, you will be miserable.

Read "Bounderies" by Henry Cloud, John Townsend
    Amazon.com: Boundaries: When to Say YES, When to Say NO, To Take Control of Your Life: Henry Cloud, John Townsend: Books

You will make the guy or girl completely miserable if you force a marriage before its time (unless that is your custom), but if you are in the West, it likely is not your custom and just something ye 'ole parents 'want'...well, they need to grow up a bit.

Get a job or two or three and see what you actually enjoy doing instead of reading books and planning what you think looks good to everyone else. 26 is still a kid and hardly experienced enough to have known and tasted life.

You sound fresh from school, so spend some years getting to know you and what makes you happy. There is plenty of time to get married and have children even if you don't begin until 36.

This may not be the best fit for you. Maybe it is. Regardless, you shouldn't be miserable at it...certainly not at your young age.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say you've been a technical person the last nine years?

Being an eBay Power Seller isn't going to count for much.

Join Toastmasters and build confidence, leadership, and public speaking skills. Those are absolutely necessary for an MBA (and very beneficial for pretty much any position). I've been in for a couple of months now. It was rough getting started, but I love it now.

You can do marketing and sales without lying or cheating.

It's never too late. You're going to have to start at the bottom and work you way up though. Why are you looking and going into the IT trenches when you are so highly educated? You're probably not going to be making what you consider good money for 3-5 years.

I'm also 26; it's really not that old ;)

Don't compare yourself to your relatives. There is more to life than money. Do what makes you happy because anything else will make you miserable.

Get married when you're ready. Why are you letting your parents dictate that?

Good luck with your A+.

Thanks for you prompt reply. I really appreciate it.

Technical person - Just fixing computers for family, friends and relatives at home and school / college. Nothing more than that. And some basic technical web designing skill needed to create listing on eBay.

Well, i can't join that. I am in India. But as such i don't have any problem in communicating with any individual or group. I also don't have any fear of Public Speaking. Just got 3rd prize in Inter College debate competition. A week before, i left a job of English and Personality Development at an Adult Learning center.

It may be true for America but in India you can't do marketing and sales without cheating and lying.

Well, you are absolutely true in saying that and I also have similar thoughts but its just not in my nature to persuade people to buy something. I just don't feel like doing it. Sales and marketing people are treating like crap and pest when they are soliciting customers. I know that i will be getting good money only after 3-5 years but i think the other option i have is to start teaching Human Resource.

Well, i am not letting my parents dictate that but my Mom is Old and she want me to get settled as soon as possible. But anyway, nobody would giving me his Girl unless and until i have got a good job and not dependent on my parents.

Thanks for responding. Maybe you can add more inputs icon_rolleyes.gif

WIP

N+

A+
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    What a bunch of hooey icon_scratch.gif

And in all fairness:
    I wouldn't brag of that MBA you hold with statements like this:

Not relevant.

There are plenty of 'religious' folks who do and plenty of non-religious folks who don't.

If you are living your life to please someone else, you will be miserable.

Read "Bounderies" by Henry Cloud, John Townsend
    Amazon.com: Boundaries: When to Say YES, When to Say NO, To Take Control of Your Life: Henry Cloud, John Townsend: Books

You will make the guy or girl completely miserable if you force a marriage before its time (unless that is your custom), but if you are in the West, it likely is not your custom and just something ye 'ole parents 'want'...well, they need to grow up a bit.

Get a job or two or three and see what you actually enjoy doing instead of reading books and planning what you think looks good to everyone else. 26 is still a kid and hardly experienced enough to have known and tasted life.

You sound fresh from school, so spend some years getting to know you and what makes you happy. There is plenty of time to get married and have children even if you don't begin until 36.

This may not be the best fit for you. Maybe it is. Regardless, you shouldn't be miserable at it...certainly not at your young age.

Ya, i know that are millions who pretend to be religious but i don't do it because i am not allowed to do it in my religion.

Well its not purely customs but you guessed it right that my Mom is getting Old and she wants to see me settled in her lifetime. By as replied above, nobody will be giving his girl to an unemployed person (unless he is from a rich business family)

WIP

N+

A+
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was going to ask if you were from another country, but your phenomenal English made me think not :D

It doesn't sound like you need it, but Toastmasters is an international organization: Find a Club Results - Toastmasters International

If IT is something that interests you, go for it. You'll find plenty of support here. I just thought your 2010 time line was unrealistic, given your experience. If you don't mind spending a few years building experience and knocking out certs, there shouldn't be a problem. A lot of it depends on how hard of a worker and learner you are.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    You should feel very lucky rather than "desperate, broke and deeply troubled" to quote yourself.

You're young, got an MBA under your belt, probably healthy, financially well and spiritual (something you feel fond of). What % of the Indian population (close to onel billion) is in your position? Be thankful for what you have and don't worry about what you don't have. Let me repeat that if I may:

Be thankful for what you have and don't worry about what you don't have.

Don't worry too much as that will wear and tear you out.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my own experience i'd say look at business analyst positions. They fit the mold of mba training more than net admin does. PMP is the evolution of a business analyst and a net admin. There are also junior pmp positions like project coordinator that you may like.

You'll get there and you definately shouldn't be down. Remember alot of the mba is soft skills use those to your advantage. A good attitude and a willingness to learn will take you far further than 3 letters behind your name.

Remember there's always someone who's walked the same path as you before so you're not alone.
  • Options
    I thank you all binarysoul, dynamik, PlanetWiz for your motivating replies. For the time being, my worries have faded away and i am right in the middle of my A+ preparation :)

WIP

N+

A+