iphone questions

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Currently i have a cingular 8525 (not sure who really manufactures it, but that is what I have)....

I like it but the slide out qwerty key board is about to break (for the second time) and I am sick of jimmy rigging the thing back together with super glue. Plus the phone is almost 2 years old and in pretty bad shape.

I can get an Iphone for a good price and AT&T is allowing me to transfer my old talk plan to the new phone...

So my questions are (for those that have an Iphone)... How satisfied are you? And do you know if you can cancel the data plan if necessary and have just a phone (just in case I was hard up and needed to cut every possible corner)?

Finally, if anyone has any other general thoughts on the Iphone or a comparable alternative from AT&T let me know...

As usual thanks to those that reply!
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I believe that you are locked into a data plan with the iPhone, though I can't say that for 100% certain. I just finished scouting out a smart phone, as well as data plans, and I'm confident that the iPhone is the best there is from AT&T. That said, I'm very happy to be free from AT&T and switched over to T-Mobile as of this week, using a G1 over here. I got sent to collections randomly, and without cause, one too many times by AT&T for me to stick with them. Also I find their rates to be rather ridiculous. But if you plan on sticking with them then by all means pick up an iPhone.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    cingular 8525, AKA "Hermes, TYTN, Trion few others too" made by HTC

I am using this as a backup for my TYTN II cracked screen grr, difference is a tilting screen and built in GPS for sat nav

To go from an XDA to the IPhone would be quite a big jump, I prefer a windows mobile phone over any other

Check out the updated verion of the TYTN II, since your phone its had 3 makeovers

http://www.intercitydata.com/news/uploaded_images/htc_touchpro2-799341.jpg

Hope that helps
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    undomiel wrote: »
    I believe that you are locked into a data plan with the iPhone, though I can't say that for 100% certain. I just finished scouting out a smart phone, as well as data plans, and I'm confident that the iPhone is the best there is from AT&T. That said, I'm very happy to be free from AT&T and switched over to T-Mobile as of this week, using a G1 over here. I got sent to collections randomly, and without cause, one too many times by AT&T for me to stick with them. Also I find their rates to be rather ridiculous. But if you plan on sticking with them then by all means pick up an iPhone.

I agree about the rates... however I have been with them for a long time so I get a pretty good deal... Enough to beat switching to any other provider...

And I am not seeing any other phones by them that have separate data plans (and a non windows os).
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Remember, the 3GS comes out this Friday, so wait until then. I'll be picking one up then as well.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I had the iphone for almost a year and was happy with it at times and then there where days where i hated the thing. My iphone crashed way to much using applications for it. Even with a fresh start it would still crash. Then all of a sudden the screen went white one day and i was never able to get it running again. thank god it was under warranty.

If you own a iphone you must add a data plan on it for 30$ a month. There is also no way out of this.

Unfortunately the iphone crashed way to much on me so i decided to sell it on ebay and got $450 bucks for it. Bought a Blackberry Bold for 299 and got a jawbone bluetooth with it with a 100$ rebate.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    ULWiz wrote: »
    I had the iphone for almost a year and was happy with it at times and then there where days where i hated the thing. My iphone crashed way to much using applications for it. Even with a fresh start it would still crash. Then all of a sudden the screen went white one day and i was never able to get it running again. thank god it was under warranty.

If you own a iphone you must add a data plan on it for 30$ a month. There is also no way out of this.

Unfortunately the iphone crashed way to much on me so i decided to sell it on ebay and got $450 bucks for it. Bought a Blackberry Bold for 299 and got a jawbone bluetooth with it with a 100$ rebate.

How do you like the Bold?
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    screensize on the bold looks a bit too small for me
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Heh, until my company starts reimbursing me for my phone bill I'm sticking with my cheap AT&T prepaid phone (I rarely use the thing).
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    well I am really thinking it is going to be an iphone for me....

Mainly because I can roll my old plan over and get a better deal than with any other company out there in regards to a "smart" phone.

Plus I seriously doubt I will ever work on spread sheets or pull exchange e-mail, or do any other hard core (if you call that hard core) office productivity stuff on the phone. I just want good inet connectivity, gmail, or what ever pop account I want, and some other assorted apps...

I do thank everyone who has commented...

OH I would go for the BB storm, but it would cost me an extra 100 up front and 30 more a month....
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Those of you in the U.S. who have a company provided cellphone, be careful. recent blurb over the weekend on the news said IRS is looking to tax the USERS of those phones 25% as they are considering the phones to be a "fringe benefit."