Options

Anyone understand MS licensing?

mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
I'm trying to get my head around MS licensing fully and was wondering if somone could provide a simple way of understanding it please?

I know SBS comes with 5 CALs, but are those CALs simply for file access sessions, or do they allow each 5 clients to access Exchange via Outlook also? When using the Microsoft CAL Calculator, if I tick 'Windows' and 'Exchange' then add 5 users and devices in each, it says I will need 5 CALs for Windows and 5 CALs for Exchange.

All very confusing but i'm sure once explained will be easy enough.

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    What version of SBS are you running? Is exchange installed on your SBS? MS Licensing questions are always free of charge if you call and ask Microsoft. When in doubt, I'd always recommend calling them.

Normally you would need both licenses for Windows Server and exchange, but SBS is a different animal. I believe SBS CALs do indeed cover exchange. I know with SBS 2003 R2, the SBS CALs cover exchange whether it's installed on the SBS or another server.

SBS 2003 R2 (scroll to the very bottom of page)
    What's New for Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    What version of SBS are you running? Is exchange installed on your SBS? MS Licensing questions are always free of charge if you call and ask Microsoft. When in doubt, I'd always recommend calling them.

Normally you would need both licenses for Windows Server and exchange, but SBS is a different animal. I believe SBS CALs do indeed cover exchange. I know with SBS 2003 R2, the SBS CALs cover exchange whether it's installed on the SBS or another server.

SBS 2003 R2 (scroll to the very bottom of page)
    What's New for Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2

That makes a bit more sense now as SBS is for smaller companies that MS can't rip off as much icon_razz.gif

So if I were to buy Standard 2003, then wanted Exchange to install on top and had 5 users, I would need 5 CALs for Windows itself and then 5 for Exchange?

Cheers for link, i'll take a look later but quite busy at work at the mo icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    mr2nut wrote: »
    That makes a bit more sense now as SBS is for smaller companies that MS can't rip off as much icon_razz.gif

So if I were to buy Standard 2003, then wanted Exchange to install on top and had 5 users, I would need 5 CALs for Windows itself and then 5 for Exchange?

Cheers for link, i'll take a look later but quite busy at work at the mo icon_sad.gif

It depends on what version of SBS you have as well. I just used the SBS 2003 R2 as an example. I know the older SBS versions you had to license exchange separately if exchange was installed on another server.

Yes, Windows Standard would require separate licensing, as you described.

....gotta love MS licensing crash.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SBS CALs include a Windows CAL and Exchange CAL (including the ability to run the applicable version of Outlook). The Exchange server must reside on the SBS server and cannot reside on a standalone server.

The Premium edition of SBS also includes a SQL CAL. The SQL server may reside on a second machine (and the Windows Server Standard license for that second machine is included in SBS Premium as well).
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    SBS CALs include a Windows CAL and Exchange CAL (including the ability to run the applicable version of Outlook). The Exchange server must reside on the SBS server and cannot reside on a standalone server.

The Premium edition of SBS also includes a SQL CAL. The SQL server may reside on a second machine (and the Windows Server Standard license for that second machine is included in SBS Premium as well).

Cheers for clearing that one up too.

I've found a great link that may help anyone else out that has interest in my original post too..

Jim Boyce - Tips and Tricks for Windows, Office, Outlook, software, and hardware